Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've recently started a campaign based in coeranys, and I've noticed something odd. The map seems to imply that the terrain in Careine, based in the Chimaeron, is either hills or mountains, but the province/source rating is listed as 2/6. Wthout being an elven domain, how is this possible?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have called it plains,hills, and mountains ((5+5+9)/3 = 6.33) rounded to 6...2 of them are lost for the province level. Leaving a source of 4.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    WHich doesn't match what the book says Lawgiver. What is up with that?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well it depends on how far you strecth the rules and which portion you strecth.

Quoting (emphasis added): 'Each Terrain type has SPECIFIC magic potential. The sum of the level of a province and the levels of the sources within it USUALLY CANNOT EXCEED the magic potential of the terrain...'

SPECIFC = fixed number.
    USUALLY CANNOT EXCEED = it may under certain circumstance...

The part about the caves under the plains grants a bonus. So does my forest/plains average. 5+ 7 = 12/2 = 6.

So what's wrong with my reasoning?
    Lawgiver

Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh hogwash every wizard worth his bloodline knows a dragon's den is in the province, hence the high level.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Dragon... oh is that all. In that case you get his attention and I'll sneak up behind him and slay the beast.
    Lawgiver

Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree that it is due to the intesnse magic of the region. There are always exceptions to the rules (that what keeps it interesting!)

I have always thought of the Chimaeron as being some sort of 'focal point' of mebhaigle. The magic seems unaturally strong here. Perhaps it is the stones of the mountains (the Moraskor of the Iron Peaks perhaps?) or perhaps it is the chimaeron itself that magnifies the magic potnetials of the land. Who can say for sure?

There must be some reason why a group of wizards (3 Brother Mages) has gathered in the region after all.
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Ancient Mountains(such as the Iron Peaks = Chimaeron) have a standard source level of 8 or 9, don't they?
    Respectfully submitted,

Temujin,
    Would-be ruler of you all. =)

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd agree with the 8 or 9. The only thing of great revelance in the Chimaeron is the road to the Khinasi realms. Its little more than a border crossing/waystation. The Chimaera doesn't like visitors, trading caravans are allowed to pass through but are taxed. The road wraps south around the mountains, not through their heart. So the mountains are largely undisturbed.
    Lawgiver

Downloads
    Uploads
    Swampland is also an 8. Doesn't it say that most of Coeranys consist of marsh and wetlands? It could be an old extension of Ruorven's provincial swamp ... ?
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Thread Information