Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    complicated... Which is precisely why I started the thread. I don't have a simply system...;)
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    You don't find the original system simple?
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I find it simple, but unrealistic. You know me Mr. Fantasy Realism.
    Lawgiver

Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well Mr. Fantasy Realism, I hate anything that slows down the game play even if it makes things more realistic!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree. Which is why I posted the thread. I was looking for a quick and dirty way to solve the dilemna. :P
    Lawgiver

Downloads
    Uploads
    Unfortunately the solutions look more dirty than quick
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I'm back and I'm bad ;(
    (the commoner formerly known as Mike Cod)
    As I posted previously, a system I liked was that of Chaosium Inc. (call of cthulhu and Stormbringer RPG's).
    Armour absorbs damage.
    plate mail absorbs 1-10+2.
    Each character has HP = to the average of their size and constitution (usually between 10 and 12).
    A broadsword does 1-8+1!
    Combat is scary indeed.
    I would love to encorporate that system with birthright.
    No one, no matter how experienced or tough-skinned would survive a 100 ft plummet (yes I know there's a 40 or 50 HP limit where you have to save or something but 40 HP is a lot of HP's!!)
    "Chaos is beautiful"
    Arioch

Downloads
    Uploads
    Yak is pragmatic man. The current hp system is fine. High-level PCs and high level monsters still have the capability of eliminating each other rather quickly. This just allows PCs to not have to suffer humiliating defeat to the backstab of a kobold. I don't know how many people would play the game if combat took as long as mechwarrior or if their 'heroes' had only a 50% survival chance against twelve pitch-fork wielding (evil, if you wish, Lawgiver) farmers.

Its the age old concept of reality vs. fantasy. Its common for me to hear video game players talk about how half-life is more realistic than quake. I don't care, though, I don't play video games to experience reality, I play to entertain myself with games that are somewhat based in reality, but don't contain many of the drawbacks of reality.

In essence, the point I'm trying to make is that I need to make shorter posts. (Oh yeah, and I like reality in games, just balanced a bit).
    Explain how this is a signature, its not my handwriting.

The hardest part was teaching the bunnies to hug. -Duke Phillips

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Arch-Sorcerer GargamelI don't know how many people would play the game if combat took as long as mechwarrior or if their 'heroes' had only a 50% survival chance against twelve pitch-fork wielding (evil, if you wish, Lawgiver) farmers.
    I agree that long drawn out combat, forgive me Abbess, but --sucks! I was hopeing someone had a descent system or idea that I could implement easily.

Why do the pich-fork weilding farmers have to be evil??? Peasants are humans they get riled up about things and seek to take up "arms" too.

I agreee that its a fanatasy game and that the outlandish should happen at times. I would prefer to make levels and skills reflect the character's ability to avoid or block opponents hits. Even in most fantasy flick most wounds are serious (though highly temporary... two scenes later they rarely hurt anymore...) and many are fatal. Though I'm not suggesting every kobold with a knife kill PCs. I just would like PCs to reflect on the seriousness of comabt and unless the rules promote that a fighter with 70+ HP isn't going to sweat taking on 30 foot soldiers.

One thing I have thought about done is making multiple opponents more deadly. One man can't defend 6 very easily... I use a version of he combined action from Star Wars. +1 to-Hit for each additional opponent. (i.e. if three people concentrate on a single oppenent then they receive a +2 to hit; 5 receive +4). perhaps li,iting the bonus to targets within 3 size catagories.
    Lawgiver

Downloads
    Uploads
    I agree that a player who developes a character over a long period would not like their character slain.
    A player who has a 12-20 HP character would then run his character smarter!
    No more charging into a hoard of 20 goblins and attacking a dragon is no longer just a treasure hunt. It's something to be avoided!
    Of course using the Stormbringer rules does change everything, no levels and experience points but it has other benefits.
    "Chaos is beautiful"
    Arioch

Thread Information