Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll have a peek about for the custom rule engine a friend and I have been working on for the last few years and let you know when I find it Lawmaker.

It basically took the stance that a persons body/vitality doesn't change much over time. THus, PCs created with tend to start at a set amount of HPs, and only receive a few xtra as they advance in level.

The system is actaully very similar to what 3E turned out to be (hence we haven't done much with it since WotC beat us to the punch) assumed that your size determiend how much of a target you were, and thus how easy you were to hit. Your armour made it more difficult to damage you. We also added in wound categories, so that once you were down to 1/2 hps, you started getting penalties.

It worked very nicely.
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lawgiver, do you always have to make fun of people that have a different viewpoint than you?

Allowing the character to live at -10 doesn't prevent a character from ending up dead if the character only recieves a few extra h.p.'s a level. The character hit by a fireball or a dragons flame will still end up dead.

I still think the improvement should come in armor class. The more levels you have the lesser your AC so that you get hit less often. It would also encourage more role playing if h.p.s didn't go up so high because even though you don't have a great of a chance of getting hit by the dragon you wouldn't want to risk getting hit so you would role play your way out of it!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by Lord Eldred

Lawgiver, do you always have to make fun of people that have a different viewpoint than you?
    What have I done to offend you or another? I assure you I meant no insult. These message boards do not convey emotion and tone of voice well. Fogive me for any offense.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    IMO the Hit Point system is fine. While the numbers may be big, I don't think they reflect the damage you can take but the potential damage you can take. The acutal damage is one good chop of a blade. The increase in HPs is a reflect of how you can take a blow. The more experienced fighter will know how to deflect a blade or axe just so, where they will get a little damage but not the full force. The Hit Point system was made to relfect this instead of makeing complicated rules and load of extra rolls they just say you increase in hit points. Where monsters depend on their ability to absorb a large amount of damage, PCs depend on their wits. The HP system reflects these wits with the ability to take more damage simply and effectivly without added rolls during combat.

Downloads
    Uploads
    If the numbers get too big, then introduce a critical hit table like the one in ICE and various other systems. EG: strike cut major artery, limb useless, loses x hp/rd will die in x rds. Just a thought.
    ;)
    And I looked, and behold, a white horse, and he who sat on it had a bow; and a crown was given to him; and he went out conquering , and to conquer. Rev. 6:2

Downloads
    Uploads
    Point well taken Lawgiver. You will have to type in tone of voice and emotion when you REALLY want to make fun of some one until then I will always take you as meaning no offense :)
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    [scowling at Eldred] Fine! Have it your way you meddling old man! [grumbling to himself]

[pauses, winks at Eldred and flashes half a grin]
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    See how much clearer things are when you type some emotion and tones of voice ;) :P
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Downloads
    Uploads
    i created a system of increasing ac instead of hp. i had to create new spells,which was a little difficult. you had to increase low spell damage and decrease high spell damage or it becomes unbalancing. also it is difficult to have a character to split in different classes when you change the combat system. for instance a character who goes half in fighter and half in rogue is about half as good at fighting than a full fighter at all levels in dnd. in the ac improvement a character who goes ahlf and half is only slightly worse at low levels and really sucky at high levels. hp allow people to develope in a balanced manner. it also is a lot to do with the psyche of the warrior. self confidance elan ect. it allows people to say hay lets back off and not correlate it to cowardice. it is a good thought but unless you can find a way to balance it its not going to work.
    "...killing fellow humans carries a psycological cost, elves however..."

Downloads
    Uploads
    After reading faehew's comments, I would have to agree with Yak when he says the current system is fine. Everything else suggested seems way too complicated and complicated only serves to slow down game play.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the

Thread Information