Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I didn't say source potential I said source level. What I was refering to is the development of say Baruk Azhik and it's affect on the source level of the province. The dwarf capital is rather well developed and the minerals are very definitely being mined and yet the source level remains rather strong. So I hold that the development of the underground has less of an affect on the sources than does surface development. Compare Roesone and the aforementioned dwarven kingdom.
    Duane Eggert

Downloads
    Uploads
    Hiya Irdeggman.:)

Sorry if I came over as too critical.
    I have to agree with you that the source levels in Baruk Azik are somewhat high. Not having my copy of Ruins of Empire here I can't quote any figures or specific instances (should always have a copy with me!), but as I recall province size to source level/potential isn't one of the most consistently enforced rules (I'll post again with some proper references in a few days, prob 1 week+).

Still, it would make for an interesting twist to layer provinces, this would allow high source potentials on the surface and lower ones down below where all the population is.

A counter argument could be that the dwarves have to use the surface parts of their provinces for food production etc. But I don't recall reading anything about dwarven agriculture, or any significant presence even, on the surface of their realms. They patrol but don't seem to live there much.

This does open another can of worms. How much control of the surface of their provinces do the dwarves really have? The idea of using seperate surface & subteranean provinces is designed to help address this problem.

Well that's it for now. Thanks again for reading.

Caine
    me

Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    A counter argument could be that the dwarves have to use the surface parts of their provinces for food production etc. But I don't recall reading anything about dwarven agriculture, or any significant presence even, on the surface of their realms. They patrol but don't seem to live there much.
    In the Player´s Secret of Baruk-Azhik it is specifically mentioned that the dwarves dwell entirely underground but keep a strict watch even over individual humans settling in their provinces.
    About their diet it mentions:
    The dwarven diet
    While not typically a geographical subject, the topic of dwaven food deserves mention. The diet of the dwarves does factor into the lack of farming and hunting in these lands, and so seems an approbiate topic in this section.
    The unusual dwaren physique has never been fully explained. Dwarves are known to be much more dense than humans or elves, to such a degree that dwarves are protected from certain types of physical injury. Dwarven legends tell that they are derived from earth and stone; this must certainly be true to some degree.
    That dwarves can subsist on rocks and earth is absolute fact. Troops of dwarves who have been trapped in rockslides or pinned down in caverns as a result of the orog wars have survived by eating the rock and earth around them. Furthermore, these dwarves have emerged from their ordeals non the worse for wear. While they have shown signs of dehydration, such victims experienced no weight loss or weakness as a result of their diet...
    It continues about that while possible to be a bit bland and lists various food types from favoured to avoided to taboo. That the dwarves occasionally hunt and gather on the surface, keep goats underground and engage in fungus farming.
    Michael Romes

Thread Information