Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I again disagree the armies of hold had as much red tape and problems of the armies of today. The reduced size doesn't mean it was small. Plus communication problems. Inability to supply properly. Still have all the same problems of a modern army.

Tell me the difference between running an army and running a city. Give me the distinct problems that exist that make you think administration costs are different!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    The military is like looking at our world in a fishbowl. Everything that happens in our society also occurs in the military. From every problem to every solution, if it affects one it will inevitably affect the other. The civillian side has just as much bureaucracy and red tape as the military, case in point Tax Seasons coming up!
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the back up Blitzmacher!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    Your welcome.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Currently there are about 1.5 million people who serve in the active Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, and Coast Guard, their Reserve components, and the Air and Army National Guard U.S. That doesn't even begin to cover the number of support personal and civilian labor force that works with the military.

1.5 million is a little larger than 800-1,600 (4-8 units). Thus the red tape of the present day military is just a wee bit more (;)) than that the military in Birthright. Having a single leader or small group in charge of 1.5 million and maintaining order--not likely. Maintaining order in 800-1600 people is far more probable.

Additionally the 'laws' in the military tends to be much more strictly and swiftly enforced than in the civilian world, regardless of time period. When someone screws up they are generally punished quickly. The mistakes tend to diminish. If nothing else, with less than 100 officers in such a small army it wouldn't take nearly as long to find someone to blame and 'remedy' the situation! A good commander wouldn't simply allow a waste of 25% of expenses to exist for long without losing his command.
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd imagine that in an army of the type we're talking about the most waste would likely be caused by corruption and other hand-outs. I'm fairly certain that very few soldiers would actually be professionnal soldiers, the rest being conscripted or briefly enticed into the army by poverty or the opportunity to loot a town or two. Most of the professionnal soldiers might also depend on a religious group or maybe a knightly order, both of which would need placating with generous bribes. Therefore to reduce the costs, it is likely that it would be necessary to bind to your service a dedicated and loyal army of volunteers, which would be take leadership and charisma more than administration.
    Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said: `one CAN'T believe impossible things.'
    `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast'

-- "Through the Looking Glass", Lewis Caroll

Downloads
    Uploads
    Lawgiver, I suppose you would be right if cerilia had access to computers. Size of modern armies is a lot larger than medievil armies for a reason. Medievil armies didn't have access to the higher population levels of today, modern technology, or the amount of money that we can throw into an army. If they did they would have the same sized armies we have today. Modern numbers may be bigger but the percentage is still the same.
    Also that civilian labor force that works with the military, since they're civilian do they get the admin. roll?
    As for military law it takes approx. the same time to process trials as civilian. The difference being that there are a lot more laws that can be enforced, and they tend to be handled quicker if it was a minor offense where the unit can take care of it with less then judicial means to try to keep the indivduals record from getting ruined with a stupid mistake that wouldn't be a crime in the civilian world. This would be like giving the bird to a military policeman, in the civilian world nothing would happen to you, in the military if they wanted to be real pricks you could recieve up to 2 yrs heavy labor. As for wasting 25% of expenses, even todays military gives awards to soldiers who come up with ways to do things cheaper i.e. admin. roll.
    HAVAMAL

Downloads
    Uploads
    Orginally posted by blitzmacher
    Modern numbers may be bigger but the percentage is still the same.
    Ghoere (which is only the 3rd largest military) has 400% more active military than the U.S. if you do the math. (Its sad that I took the time to do that...).
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Maintenance costs are maintenance costs -- the entire total is what the 25% reduction applies to. Otherwise, the proficiency is meaningless: Maintenance costs for provinces and holdings doesn't reach 4 GB until you have 19-24 of them in your domain. If you've got so large a domain, why would you spend one of your slots for a chance to save a single GB every four months?

Downloads
    Uploads
    I think Warlord_Nabron said it pretty good using a lot less words then myself, I thought I was windy.
    As for Lawgiver, it may be sad to do the math, but at least you have the time to do it.
    HAVAMAL

Thread Information