Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: J.R.R. Tolkien

Downloads
    Uploads
    This isn't directly related to Birthright, but it is a fantasy topic of interest.

Are you in favor of or opposed to Hollywood making Tolkien's Fellowship of the Ring Trilogy into motion pictures? Why?
    Servant of the Most High,
    Lawgiver

Isaiah 1:17
    Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I would rather wait to pass judgment until after I see the movie. Our D & D group is going to see it together. I am hoping that they did a better job than they did with the animated version.

Lots of people are disappointed anytime a book is made into a movie because the imagination is always better than anything they can put on to film. I am hoping that those who never read the series will go and read the books after seeing the films. It will be worth their time and money!
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Downloads
    Uploads
    I've seen almost every preview and they seem to have done and excellent job casting and the special effects seem fairly good, without being too flashy.

I'm going to see it the 20th with one of my players here in town. If its descent enough I may go see it again with some of my old players (who are in my PBeM) when I go to visit my parents for Christmas.

One the of the guys at work is obsessed with LOTR. He's read the series so much his books are falling apart (...kind of scary if you think about it). He keeps sending me updates... 19 days left, 18 days left... I'm afraid he's hyped it up so much I may be disappointed.
    Lawgiver

Learn to do good; Seek justice, Rebuke the oppressor; Defend the fatherless, Plead for the widow.

Downloads
    Uploads
    It is more likely that he will be disappointed! My suggestion would be clear your mind when you go into the theatre and just enjoy the movie. If you don't expect too much you won't be disappointed.

My brother was rather disappointed with the Harry Potter movie because he expected too much and was actually disappointed that it was too much like the the books.

I just plan on seeing the Lord of the Rings and then go back and reread the books.
    Lord Eldred
    High Councilor of the
    United Provinces of Cerilia
    "May Haelyn bring justice to your realm"

Mike Cod
    When I heard that the LOTR was made into a movie I decided to read the books. I had read part of the Two Towers some time ago and would like to see the LOTRs' movie. I just recently finished the Hobbit and I am on the 2nd chapter of the LOTR. I'm thinking maybe I should stop reading the book and watch the movie and enjoy the movie, then finish reading the book. That way I won't end up disappointed in the movie.
    When one watches a movie for the first time, its always more exciting the first time, with all the suprises and such.

I do agree; however, that the book is much better than the movie. I found that out with "Hamlet", "Rob Roy", "Les Miserables" and "Dracula".
    I think LOTR will definitely have to be watched on the big screen.
    :)

Downloads
    Uploads
    They really should make some trilogy movies about characters like Raistlin, Azalin, Vecna, Set, and the Magian. Movies like that would really make the world a better place.
    One law, One court, One allied people, One coin, and one tax, is what I shall bring to Cerilia.

Special Guest (Donor) morgramen's Avatar
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I dunno, from what I've seen the LotR looks to be the film of a lifetime. Everytime I see the preview I get all 'shivery". :)

The only bone I have (possibly - we'll wait and see) is the greater role given to Arwen and them playing up the love story between she and the scruffy looking Aragorn. This is a potential boom or bust.

As for the rest of it.... oooooooo.... there's that shiver again.
    "You need people of intelligence on this mission... quest... thing."

Downloads
    Uploads
    I haven't read the novels since early high school. I just recently started The Lord of the Rings, but I haven't put too much effort into it (about 1/8 done). I doubt I'll finish it before viewing the movie. I'm not sure I want too. I agree that viewing the movie first would be a wise decision, simply to avoid comparing it to the novel. Supposedly the director pulled in some LOTR 'experts' to help make sure he didn't deviate from the plot to far and to help keep the movie as accurate as possible. I've been blown away by the previews I've seen.

I think this movie has serious potential to be one of the highest selling films ever. The books have been around for generations and the number of people who fell in love with them is incalculable.
    Lawgiver

Downloads
    Uploads
    i am going to see it the 19th :-) a surprise from my GF, she managed to get tickets for the pre-release :)
    Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure.

Downloads
    Uploads
    I read the Hobbit when I was in the fith grade, not only has it gotten me hooked on fantasy role playing games, but also on reading any book in general.
    I just hope that I can clear my mind of the book while I watch the movie, because there is no way a movie can compare with a book. But still, waiting for the movie to come out makes me feel like a kid at christmas time, or something like that.
    Cattle die and kinsmen die,
    thyself too soon must die,
    but one thing never, I ween, will die, --
    fair fame of one who has earned.
    HAVAMAL

Thread Information