PDA

View Full Version : BIG upgrade coming soon!

Arjan
09-30-2011, 12:43 PM
I have purchased a new piece of software called VaultWiki.
the name already says it.. its a wiki
but we already have a wiki, so why?

well, the answer is simple.. its a wiki developed FOR vbulletin, based on mediawiki.
the vbulletin <-> MediaWiki bridge we have right now, is somewhat unstable (token errors etc) plus unsuported (developers vanished over time)
as vbulletin is updating its software and so is mediawiki... the bridges we have for user integration and other features are left behind.. often result in very buggy after an upgrade.

VaultWiki seamless integrates with vbulletin, so we can use vbulletin features all over the wiki, and vice versa.
Also the wiki pages will have a better meta-tag filling, so pages are better indexed by search engines.
also wiki pages are seen as "posts" so the search bar can find wiki pages more easier.
also linking to wiki pages will become easier with new BB code like Main Page

I am currently testing things and will post some ETA soon.

arjan

Arius Vistoon
10-03-2011, 06:32 PM
seems nice.
I agree with you, it's better to have full compatible software and software are not lost in a pit by creator.

PS:
if you need some help for the installation or for contribution for buy it, ask.

PS 2 :
thanks you to take care of our website, i know it takes you some time

Green Knight
10-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Looking forward to seeing it.

Vicente
10-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Nice! Looking foward seeing it :)

Arjan
10-22-2011, 11:13 PM
Littlebigupdate

The conversion is going very slow, had some mediawiki import issues.
Our wiki is way to advance and complicated :)
The good support of VW helped sort out a few things.

I have now converted the most comon templates, so most pages will load again.
I still have to work out some things with templates that are using non-mediawiki extensions, like extra parser functions and quite some pages of the D20 SRD are using DPL (dynamic page listing)
Also i like our functionality of 1 single forums for all wiki discussions.. the new wiki will be setup up with talk pages (discussion tab) ..wel actually, it will see every wiki page as a threat, so discussions are posts in that thread.
I might want to see if we can pull the two appart like we have now (maybe something for arius to do ;) )

So i still got a big todo list before we can see some result here, but i am working on it!

Birthright-L
10-22-2011, 11:30 PM
At 04:13 PM 10/22/2011, Arjan wrote:

>So i still got a big todo list before we can see some result here,
>but i am working on it!

As always, huge kudos for the good work.

Gary

Arjan
10-23-2011, 07:15 PM
The BRnet support forum doesnt send mails to the list, so those on the list
now you know that the new wiki is live :)

Birthright-L
10-24-2011, 01:38 AM
At 12:10 PM 10/23/2011, you wrote:

>The BRnet support forum doesnt send mails to the list, so those on the list
>now you know that the new wiki is live :)

OK. Good to know.

Gary

Vicente
10-26-2011, 01:48 AM
As usual your commitment to this website is beyond believe man :) Great work!

Arjan
05-06-2012, 09:34 PM
Another TODO bites the dust.. probably one of the biggest on the list.
a new layout, but that pretty obvious ;)

hope you all like it!

Rey
05-07-2012, 06:37 AM
I feel a bit lost, but it looks flashy. :D

Arjan
05-07-2012, 07:13 AM
I feel a bit lost, but it looks flashy. :D

nothing really has changed layout and structture wise. ;)
but if you prefer the standard vbulletin layout you can choose so on the bottom left corner dropdown box (in the footer))

Rey
05-07-2012, 12:27 PM
I'll enjoy this one for now. :)

Sorontar
05-07-2012, 01:18 PM
I think I will have to find stuff first before I make a decision. The New Posts on the personal bar works but the one above the recent postings doesn't.

I certainly like the blueness.

Sorontar

Arjan
05-07-2012, 05:05 PM
I think I will have to find stuff first before I make a decision. The New Posts on the personal bar works but the one above the recent postings doesn't.

I certainly like the blueness.

Sorontar

cheers! so do i

the recent activity block on the front page is indeed something i need to change.
Its now based on the news module which displays the first post only.
what we want is the recent threads (the one we had before)
so i am gonna need to rewrite that module to put on the home page.
i will fix the show all link for that block at the same time.

also what is VERY nice is we now have a mobile-style implemented.
i didnt want to tell yet, since the front page (root) gives a white screen due to the vbadvanced mod we use on the homepage doesnt have the templates yet.
i am gonna make a placeholder for that.
but to see the mobile skin working, just go to www.birthright.net/forums

ALSO.. soon i will release a mobile app for the forum which you will be able to download through the known app markets

Vicente
05-07-2012, 06:17 PM
Bets my poor Windows Phone won't get that app :p

About the theme, I like the blue too :) But I don't like so much the top image, when I open a page in the website I need to scroll immediately down just to see the content :S

Regards!

Vicente

Arjan
05-07-2012, 08:14 PM

About the theme, I like the blue too :) But I don't like so much the top image, when I open a page in the website I need to scroll immediately down just to see the content :S

Regards!

Vicente

thats good! atleast you enjoy my image, you know how much time i put into that ;-)
(on my screen is 1/3 of the screen.. 22" ftw)

Arjan
05-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Vicente

the app maybe not, but with the mobile style it should display nicely (let me know)

Birthright-L
05-07-2012, 09:51 PM
I just want to chime in and thank Arjan for his amazingly consistent
and tireless efforts to keep things current in BR.net. There are
three constants in the universe: death, taxes and Arjan.

Kudos,
Gary

Vicente
05-08-2012, 05:10 AM
the app maybe not, but with the mobile style it should display nicely (let me know)

I get a blank page :S Just in case it helps the browser of Windows Phone is a version of IE9 (it's not IE9, but very very close to it). The page renders perfectly in IE9 on the desktop.

But honestly, I wouldn't think too much of it if you have Android and iOS devices covered, the marketshare of WP7 is ridiculous (I have one because I work with MS stuff, and a little of fanboyism too :p).

Regards!

Vicente

Arjan
05-08-2012, 01:24 PM
I get a blank page :S Just in case it helps the browser of Windows Phone is a version of IE9 (it's not IE9, but very very close to it). The page renders perfectly in IE9 on the desktop.

did you go to http://www.birthright.net/forums (including /forums) ?
the main page does indeed give a white page (on every mobile device) still need to create those templates.
but with /forums you "should" be able to see something, because it simply outputs HTML

Thelandrin
05-08-2012, 03:57 PM
I love the flashy new colours, but the forum width is ridiculously narrow. Can you expand them at all?

Arjan
05-08-2012, 07:48 PM
I love the flashy new colours, but the forum width is ridiculously narrow. Can you expand them at all?
you can hide the sidebar by clicking the white arrow tab next to it

Edonel Bladesong
05-09-2012, 12:02 AM
did you go to http://www.birthright.net/forums (including /forums) ?
the main page does indeed give a white page (on every mobile device) still need to create those templates.
but with /forums you "should" be able to see something, because it simply outputs HTML

Hi Vicente!

Working fine for me on a LG Optimus Quantum with WP7 Mango

Thelandrin
05-09-2012, 12:18 AM
With the sidebar closed, it's a lot better to look at. It could still be a little wider, but now it's workable at least. :)

That said, is there a way to make the sidebar remember to stay closed? It reopens every time I change page.

Arjan
05-09-2012, 01:40 PM
With the sidebar closed, it's a lot better to look at. It could still be a little wider, but now it's workable at least. :)

That said, is there a way to make the sidebar remember to stay closed? It reopens every time I change page.

before the upgrade this was the case. I noticed when i disable the "everywhere sidebar" addon then it works again and remembers that you previously hid the sidebar.
So it must be a little bug in the sidebar addon.
Will update that addon soon.

Arius Vistoon
05-27-2012, 05:01 AM
very nice, i like the new color/graphic chart/menu of the website. A good job.
with this, the website seems reborn like phoenix , hehe

Sir Robin
06-28-2012, 05:54 AM
Looks quite nice. I may not come by often but thank you for keeping this great setting, and site, alive. :)