PDA

View Full Version : Celtic Empire (Unconquered Britain)

Magian
06-03-2011, 01:24 PM
The Adurian map by TSR Gen Con 1998 shows a large island approximately a quarter size of Anuire named Celtic Empire (Unconquered Britain). Then the new improved Aduria map has an elongated continent much larger and the island in question much closer to the landmass. Am I right in assuming they are the same intended region?

I have an idea for the original island to be off to the east more if they aren't the same. Even if they are I can amend the ideas.

This brings me to a point where I am really glad WotC hasn't done anything more for the setting. It keeps the element of mystery and gives us a sense of making it our own when we expand it ourselves. A good example is the unknown in the new world during the time of the conquistador. We mostly being Cerilian centric are left to imagine the unknown from the fragments we have from elsewhere.

Magian
03-14-2012, 10:04 AM
Isles of the Kels
Possible name.

Unicorn Lord ershegh connected to awnmebhaighl protecting the isles from the incursions of the shadow with a massive mist ward. that mist ward has swallowed the forces of the shadow back in the day and trapped them and they are now called the ven and are seen in the old Rjurik lands now called the ven lands when the mists drift onto the main land.

Green Knight and Green Man (different from the Blood Enemies version) manifests itself in times of need. It is the land itself in ershegh form. It tests knights and kings and protects the land's magic.

Tribe is Kel a very celtic bunch. Possible to have different versions of tribes like picts and more germanic peoples in the south closer to anuireans or vos. the picts would be psuedo vos and elf perhaps. the older tribes being picts.

Current era the mists in the south have openings allowing for landfall by the Kels onto Aduria. I figure a kingdom or start of provinces is beginning.

A possible campaign to unite the isles of the Kels in an Arthurian kind of theme but more bronze age feel with neolithic elements to it especially further north.

Rey
03-14-2012, 12:32 PM
Their placement would be just in order, beside the Andu tribes (in the past). And they've probably settled the former Brecht lands to the west while pushed by shadow? Are you talking only about the island, the extension of Adurian spine, or have you considered the northern peninsula also, to the point around the bay? Seems about the size of Anuire, together.

Still no sign of Rich Baker's letters and it's driving me insane... :D

Magian
03-14-2012, 01:30 PM
So far I am just thinking on the north side of the spine. The area above the end of the spine just south of the isles and looks like your left hand out in front of you with the thumb extended away from the hand representing the mountains delineating the area. Not that its finished just a potential area of settlement for now. Not sure if I'd have them further in or not. Depends on what I want to do with the interior, but I think there needs to be a lot of unsettled lands for Aduria. A kingdom here and there, a city state, a frontier land, colonies and the like. Right now I am thinking its a path of adventure and expansion rather than something like Anuire. Again a work in progress that may change.

Mostly I am building from the island and filling in spots where I can. I was thinking making a thread for each zone to consolidate some of the more finished ideas I have for each region. I had this one already started so I posted the above.

Magian
03-14-2012, 01:33 PM
Those letters are you referring to that advertisement in Dragon where the ship was sailing out to the Anuirean colonies?

I know there was a chat by the Devs and some of the old archives has them posting to the community. Too bad I was overseas in the military at that time. I missed out cause I didn't connect to the internet until 98.

I think there was a letter as well that is somewhere on here I think. Either that or the chat is where the Aquitaine expansion was talked about.

Sorontar
03-14-2012, 01:41 PM
Still no sign of Rich Baker's letters and it's driving me insane... :D
Are you meaning Rich_Baker__s_Lost_Files.zip? It contains TIMELINE.BR.doc
AQUITAIN.doc
BRART.rtf
BRBRECHT.doc
BRSHADOW.doc
BRWEATHR.doc
Michael's Anuire.doc

I can add it to the downloads if needed

Sorontar

Rey
03-14-2012, 02:11 PM
I don't know if they were all part of the letters, but it mentioned that Joan-of-Arc-style lady from Aquitane, perhaps weather and mainly the sea voyages of this fellow character to various destinations on northern coast of Aduria, due west. There were described some of the ideas about those lands, who ruled them, what the political situation was. What else was there, I really can't remember. I thought I had them on my DVD collection of BR stuff, but they aren't there. Nowhere to be found elsewhere...

Please, if it's not too much, could you add them for download?

Rey
03-14-2012, 02:24 PM
So far I am just thinking on the north side of the spine. The area above the end of the spine just south of the isles and looks like your left hand out in front of you with the thumb extended away from the hand representing the mountains delineating the area. Not that its finished just a potential area of settlement for now. Not sure if I'd have them further in or not. Depends on what I want to do with the interior, but I think there needs to be a lot of unsettled lands for Aduria. A kingdom here and there, a city state, a frontier land, colonies and the like. Right now I am thinking its a path of adventure and expansion rather than something like Anuire. Again a work in progress that may change.

Mostly I am building from the island and filling in spots where I can. I was thinking making a thread for each zone to consolidate some of the more finished ideas I have for each region. I had this one already started so I posted the above.

I see, it's a nice "highland" area.
I'd suggest going with the regions Rich has already made and then deciding what each of them contains. It's supposed to be a snapshot of 'today', right? Then go to the past and connect the dots with the ideas of pre-war timeline and some known facts to make the migrations until today. That's what I did when I thought about Vosgaard, just filling in the pieces between scattered information found here and there.

And yes, they needn't be all settled, at least not according to the human measure of settling.

Magian
03-16-2012, 11:55 PM
I don't know if they were all part of the letters, but it mentioned that Joan-of-Arc-style lady from Aquitane, perhaps weather and mainly the sea voyages of this fellow character to various destinations on northern coast of Aduria, due west. There were described some of the ideas about those lands, who ruled them, what the political situation was. What else was there, I really can't remember. I thought I had them on my DVD collection of BR stuff, but they aren't there. Nowhere to be found elsewhere...

I think it was an "Eleanor of Aquataine" style lady rather than "Joan of Arc," but my memory may not be serving me correctly. From Eleanor I get the French and English vying for her as a bride. She is largely considered the Guenevere of history. Hence my earlier winks and nods at a Guenevere style lady in previous posts related to Aquataine. So I build on this and make her an attractive mate for Avanil, Boeruine, Diemed, and the King of the Kels. Also I think she has an aspect of courtly love so to speak in that her paladins revere her and they are like a really tough bunch of guys as her champion is Lancelot style of knight. Or perhaps she has several to test her would be suitors. I like the idea of giving her an unfettered bloodline at a strength of 85 in the 2E system. That makes her a very attractive bride. Also I would give her long life and she inherited her bloodline at Deismaar or something like that. She has ruled her kingdom prosperously.

Although it may be that Aquataine is simply an Anuirean reconquest colony and the Eleanor style lady isn't so grandiose. Thereby she could be more of a manipulated figure for the Anuirean realm of politics. I however like the idea of linking Anuire to the Kels with Aquataine, rather than the extension of Avanil (or other lord of Anuire) yet again (as Mieres is on Aduria) on the continent of Aduria. I like the idea that the old Anuirean colonies are in disarray, are split off or cut off from Anuire in the sense that vassalage ties have broken, and trade is what keeps communication flowing. Aquataine I like to see as a bastion of hope for the Adurians as a sort of anti-shadow kingdom that comes to the aid of other kingdoms. It sits and waits for others to rise in their own right rather than conquer them.

Sorontar
03-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Rich Baker's Lost Files are now in Downloads->Supplements.

Sorontar