PDA

View Full Version : we are back!

Arjan
10-13-2010, 05:55 PM
after a series of unexpected events during the server move we are back again.

Dyark
10-13-2010, 06:51 PM
oh ya, great job !! :D

Arius Vistoon
10-13-2010, 07:40 PM
it's good to be back. Thanks you Flip and Arjan

rjurikwinds
10-13-2010, 08:58 PM
You had me scared for a whyle there!
Glad that the site is back up!

BRadmin
10-13-2010, 09:44 PM
me too, and the "worst" thing has yet to come.. i will have to renew the license for vbulletin and upgrade the forums... and hoping that the wiki will continue to work...
but i have my good friend arius around ;)

Vicente
10-13-2010, 11:44 PM
Great news indeed! :)

Sorontar
10-14-2010, 12:11 AM
Wonderful. Thanks everyone.

Arius Vistoon
10-14-2010, 03:28 AM
me too, and the "worst" thing has yet to come.. i will have to renew the license for vbulletin and upgrade the forums... and hoping that the wiki will continue to work...
but i have my good friend arius around ;)
hehe, :) always here and ready to help !

P.S :
I will go to China (one month and two weeks) at the end of the next week. So don't hesitate to ask before for some bugs and help to renew the license.
For upgrade forum, i think it's better after

lsclari
10-14-2010, 12:55 PM
Yay! Thanks Arjan!

Thelandrin
10-15-2010, 01:49 AM
Good to be back :)

AndrewTall
10-15-2010, 10:32 PM
How much will the vbulletin license cost?

Arjan
10-16-2010, 01:26 AM
dont get scared.. they are discontinuing the 3.x.x version.. only a 3 month upgrade is available (patches)

to upgrade to version 4 is $195.. but does not have annual renewals anymore (now its was $70 per year.. so the last 5 years were 4 renewals ($280) and initial buy of €120 in total for the license of the forum only).. so i think 195 is a pretty good deal

currently i am testing things with an early version of the 4th edition vbulletin to see whether it is a good idea to switch or not..

so far it looks pretty darn good, and i am certainly considering upgrading to it.

Vicente
10-16-2010, 12:13 PM
If donations are needed let us know in the forums :)

Mirviriam
10-22-2010, 07:21 PM
w00!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Rey
10-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Donations are always needed. Come on guys, bit by bit and we're there.

Vicente
10-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Ok, how to donate them? I don't seem to be find any paypal button around :(

Arjan
10-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Ok, how to donate them? I don't seem to be find any paypal button around :(

err.. what about the greenish "Donate" link? ;)

AndrewTall
10-25-2010, 06:43 PM

The donate button works, but beware of the Dutch :rolleyes: unless it's only me that gets the dutch version through the br.net site instead of their local version!

Rey
10-25-2010, 09:32 PM
LOL, I got English.

Arjan
10-25-2010, 09:45 PM
as it is supposed to be, i got english myself as well.. imo its paypal
choosing the language based on the user that is logged on and his/her
language settings.. not the destination

I just think andrew is just a big holland fan and got his language
settings on dutch ;-)

2010/10/25 Rey <brnetboard@gmail.com>:
> This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
> You can view the entire thread at:
> http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=5378
>
> Rey wrote:
> LOL, I got English.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Vicente
10-25-2010, 11:31 PM

Lol I'm blind :p Donated, but I got the main page of paypal in Dutch even if my paypal account is in Spanish ;)

AndrewTall
10-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Lol I'm blind :p Donated, but I got the main page of paypal in Dutch even if my paypal account is in Spanish ;)

See! It isn't just me. :p

At least the numbers make sense. You just have to guess what you are doing after that :confused:

Birthright-L
10-26-2010, 10:38 PM
At 12:03 PM 10/26/2010, AndrewTall wrote:

>See! It isn`t just me. :p
>
>At least the numbers make sense. You just have to guess what you are
>doing after that :confused:

Birthright has no Common Tongue. If you guys want Spanish or Italian
or whatever other language, I insist we get a proper, Sidhelien
version of the donation process. And what about Orog? Maybe we
should just have nice, neutral Klingon as a compromise.

Gary

Thelandrin
10-27-2010, 12:51 AM
Birthright has no Common Tongue.
Of course it does, Gary. Anyone who's ever learnt to play speaks English, even it's as a foreign language. :D

Arjan
10-27-2010, 11:42 AM
See! It isn't just me. :p

At least the numbers make sense. You just have to guess what you are doing after that :confused:

dutch is very similar as high Brecht ;)

Vicente
10-27-2010, 01:45 PM
Maybe we should remake this site in Esperanto? :p

Arjan
10-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Maybe we should remake this site in Esperanto? :p

si pues.. pero espanol está bien tambien ;)

Vicente
10-28-2010, 02:36 PM
OMG, Arjan knows spanish too! :) I'm all in for redoing the website in Spanish now :p

Rey
10-28-2010, 05:17 PM
Well, you can already make wiki articles in Spanish, if I'm not mistaken. At least I saw some in French.

Vicente
10-28-2010, 05:24 PM
Well, I actually worked in the translation of the BRCS 3e to Spanish:

http://62.193.237.183/birthright/

But the project died before we got very far :( Maybe I could copy those articles to the wiki, not sure if that would be interesting...

AndrewTall
10-28-2010, 07:08 PM

But the project died before we got very far :( Maybe I could copy those articles to the wiki, not sure if that would be interesting...

One of the reasons that I had for aiding in the wiki, was that if I / anyone else ran out of steam, then the work that they had done would be available for someone else to finish. One of the big BR problems is DM burnout due to workload, but, as the saying goes, many hands make light work - so post the translation up with a note that its incomplete, another spanish-speaking DM may push it further along. :)

Arjan
10-28-2010, 07:50 PM

think i got an early stage dutch version of the BRCS as well ;)

anyway, with google translate around the corner i would not put too much effort in creating language copies.. but rather in extending the english

Rey
10-28-2010, 08:54 PM
It'll be a long time until that google translator gets smart enough and filled with fantasy based vocabulary for a translation to my mother tongue. :)

Arjan
10-28-2010, 10:00 PM
It'll be a long time until that google translator gets smart enough and filled with fantasy based vocabulary for a translation to my mother tongue. :)

i guess that goes for every language... dutch is one that is very hard to translate from and to..

but hey, i downloaded once a rusian movie, found croation subs.. threw them on google to dutch.. and i was actually able to follow the movie :) (and no, it wasnt a movie with only ahhh and oh yes ;) )

Vicente
10-29-2010, 12:13 AM
One of the reasons that I had for aiding in the wiki, was that if I / anyone else ran out of steam, then the work that they had done would be available for someone else to finish. One of the big BR problems is DM burnout due to workload, but, as the saying goes, many hands make light work - so post the translation up with a note that its incomplete, another spanish-speaking DM may push it further along. :)

Thinking about this my problem is that I don't know if it's really "legally" so easy to do this. I explain: the BRCS 3e uses some official terms from DnD 3e (for example: cross-class skill). For the Spanish translation, we were "lent" the official translation from the company that had the rights for DnD 3e in Spanish (Devir) so we could translate the BRCS 3e using the same terms as DnD 3e in Spanish.

I don't know if I have the right either to take the material of that page and post it here (I translated a part of it, but even my own parts were edited by other people). If this is interesting for the BR community I can check and try to contact the project coordinator (I'm pretty sure I have his email somewhere or that I can get him from the Spanish DnD yahoo group).

Any input? Regards!

Vicente

Rey
10-29-2010, 07:58 AM
There's one guy over here that has a publishing agency and translated a several novels from FR. No official rules have ever been translated, at least to my knowledge.
But I still wonder how would it sound, because, for example, we don't have words for some of the swords.

Anyway, there's no response from this publisher, the last book went out in 2008.
I once sent him a translation of a short novel about Drizzt, but he never replied and he actually has rights to some of the novels so I can't just publish my own translations even if I had a publisher and wanted to translate.

i guess that goes for every language... dutch is one that is very hard to translate from and to..

but hey, i downloaded once a rusian movie, found croation subs.. threw them on google to dutch.. and i was actually able to follow the movie :) (and no, it wasnt a movie with only ahhh and oh yes ;) )
Oh, it was a silent movie then? :)
Anyway, good thinking!

Arjan
10-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Oh, it was a silent movie then? :)
Anyway, good thinking!

hehehe
its a new "Alexander Nevsky" movie. Historical Action Film.
"alexander, Battle of the Neva"

the trailer on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdyZKx57sNc

AndrewTall
10-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Thinking about this my problem is that I don't know if it's really "legally" so easy to do this. I explain: the BRCS 3e uses some official terms from DnD 3e (for example: cross-class skill). For the Spanish translation, we were "lent" the official translation from the company that had the rights for DnD 3e in Spanish (Devir) so we could translate the BRCS 3e using the same terms as DnD 3e in Spanish.

I don't know if I have the right either to take the material of that page and post it here (I translated a part of it, but even my own parts were edited by other people). If this is interesting for the BR community I can check and try to contact the project coordinator (I'm pretty sure I have his email somewhere or that I can get him from the Spanish DnD yahoo group).

Any input? Regards!

Vicente

You might as well try, if there is a legal issue they should speak up pretty quickly. With any luck they'll either ok outright or agree to permit you to use their terms if you cite them.

Vicente
10-31-2010, 12:22 PM
I'll check then :)

Arentak
11-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I love the new format. I see this page software out there a lot, you share it with www.europa-universalis.com and a half-dozen other sites I frequent.

rugor
11-25-2010, 01:08 AM
You've all done a great job, love the new looks and new info!