PDA

View Full Version : Battle cards

SylvestrePicard
09-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Hello everybody,
Just checking my Birthight box, which I bought used : the cover says there are 112 battle cards ; but the rulebook refers to some "battle cards" used for resolving the melee. I can't found them.
Perhaps this was treated in another thread ; just asking...
Thanks a lot, regards, etc. And kudos for the site !
Syl

Sorontar
09-22-2009, 01:40 PM
You are correct. You are not the first to post about missing warcards (cf. http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1031). We don't have copies of them here, but the BRCS does have statistics for military units (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/BRCS:Chapter_six/Armies_and_warfare/Military_units) and some warcards (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Category:Military_Units) .

Sorontar

Vicente
09-22-2009, 02:22 PM
If you bought it online, maybe the reseller didn't know what he was selling very well and that's why he didn't realize the warcards were missing (that happened to me with the Rjurik Highlands and the Birthright Boxed Set on Amazon).

You should check with him, you can maybe get a small refund or return the item (those were the posibilities both sellers offered to me).

Regards,

Vicente

SylvestrePicard
09-23-2009, 08:13 AM
Thanks a lot for the answers, guys !
Actually, I'm not too fond of the mass combat system, as it is presented in the rulebook, but I wanted to give it a try, and that's where I realized the bloody nine battle cards were missing.

So, I assume that nobody has a scan of those nine cards... That's fine, so much for the original system, I will make one of my own ; perhaps there is a thread about homemade BR battesystem other than d20/OGL ?

As for a refund, I bought it online ages ago, for nothing ; as a lazy gamer, I won't bother myself.:cool:

Anyhoo, thanks a lot again !
Regards

Vicente
09-23-2009, 10:16 AM
For battles you can check Gary recently posted "War & Conquest" system:

http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5097

Birthright-L
09-23-2009, 12:45 PM
SylvestrePicard wrote:

>Actually, I`m not too fond of the mass combat system, as it is
>presented in the rulebook, but I wanted to give it a try, and that`s
>where I realized the bloody nine battle cards were missing.

At 03:16 AM 9/23/2009, Vicente wrote:

>For battles you can check Gary recently posted "War & Conquest" system:

Hey! A plug! Nice....

SylvestrePicard: IMO, you`re not really missing much when it comes to
the warcards. They`ve been one of my biggest pet peeves about the
setting ever since I first picked it up. The units themselves are
fun in that they act as a sort of flavour text (Knights of X, Ogres
of the Stonecrow Mts, etc.) but as a sub-game the warcard system
isn`t very sensible and, worse, it`s a little dull. At least, that
was my experience with them. As a sub-game of the BR domain rules
they are more than a little awkward. Of course, you should give `em
a shot if you`re interested, or if you`re a
collector/perfectionist/anal-retentive-gamer-type (like me) but if
you`re missing a few I honestly don`t think you should worry too much about it.

Gary

SylvestrePicard
09-23-2009, 02:57 PM
For battles you can check Gary recently posted "War & Conquest" system:
Thanks, I'll give it a look !

Of course, you should give `em
a shot if you`re interested, or if you`re a
collector/perfectionist/anal-retentive-gamer-type (like me) but if
you`re missing a few I honestly don`t think you should worry too much about it.
Actually, I am. Aren't we all ?

Magian
09-23-2009, 06:30 PM
I did scan all of the warcards intact in their perforated pages a long time ago. I think they are in huge image files from the scanner so they'd be bulky sends. If you want I can start going through my discs to find them. Not sure how long it'll take. I never posted them online cause I was unsure if the copyright police would come knockin' on my door.

Originally I scanned them incase my many sets of the warcards were lost or damaged due to wear and tear. It should be a simple sizing the image to a single page and print out easily.

I was not a fan of the system. I am following Gary's work that he has on the above mentioned thread. Download his .pdf its a very nice piece of work.

Birthright-L
09-24-2009, 12:45 AM
At 11:30 AM 9/23/2009, Magian wrote:

>I did scan all of the warcards intact in their perforated pages a
>long time ago. I think they are in huge image files from the
>scanner so they`d be bulky sends. If you want I can start going
>through my discs to find them. Not sure how long it`ll take. I
>never posted them online cause I was unsure if the copyright police
>would come knockin` on my door.

Posting scans of all the warcards sounds like a pretty clear
copyright violation... though at this point it wouldn`t really do
anyone any harm if examined objectively. Of course, copyright
doesn`t always make sense. You could post a few here and there and
justify that as fair use, but the whole kit and kaboodle would be a
problem. The warcards were one of those little extras that many
gaming companies go ahead and say you can copy, but I don`t recall
TSR/WotC giving any such permission.

Would anyone happen to have all the stats of the warcards in plain
text format? That is, just the titles and stats on the
cards? Posting that information would be much closer to the white
side of this gray area. Besides, I`m currently working on a
supplement to _War and Conquest_ that has stats for the unusual
and/or unique warcards in the setting. That is, the various knights,
strange units, spawn of awnsheghlien, etc. If anyone has all of them
in one place that`d be a big help, as I`d not have to go through a
stack of the warcards....

Thanks,
Gary

Magian
09-24-2009, 06:59 AM
It looks like I have 69 scans totaling 182 mb in size. I think they are all of the cards including terrain and all. Also looks like a complete map of Cerilia scan too.

I looked for a units list with stats and only found some old pbem pages I saved for possible rule adaptions. Mostly were extra unit descriptions and how they are affected by the domain rules.

edit: Wow I just found a pdf with the battlemap and it also appears a pdf for everything else. I am going to have to put this disc in a vault of some kind.

Wilenburg
09-26-2009, 10:33 PM
if the format is used like the page in the regency guide says that it has permission to be printed for use then I do not for see them objecting the posting of the actual cards since the game as has been discount eons ago I would love to see some one also put up a map of the battlefields and use them as well.

Sorontar
09-27-2009, 08:26 AM
See http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/BR.net's_agreement_with_WOTC

BRnet:' for example, can we use registered name (birthright related ofcourse)like all the Domain names and characters? Ofcourse we will keep the current touch and feel of Birthright, so we wont kill any major NPC's etc.

DW: Yes, you may use all of the BR content. Please be sure to acknowledge WotC trademarks and copyrights with the following statement, posted clearly on your BR home page:

BIRTHRIGHT, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, D&D, the BIRTHRIGHT logo, and the D&D logo are trademarks owned by Wizards of the Coast, Inc., a subsidiary of Hasbro, Inc., and are used by permission. ©2002-2007 Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

If you use images from the BR setting, please embed the statement "©2002-2007 Wizards of the Coast, Inc." directly on the image, or directly below it.

That should cover you legally when using our IPs.

As I see it, birthright.net can "reuse" elements of the original documentation (including the warcards) in the process of developing versions of Birthright for D&D 3.5e, the aim of the original agreement. That is what has been done, rewriting the original text where possible as it is "considered to be derivative work".

However, I am not sure how complete reproduction goes.

Sorontar, with a disclaimer

Acelivion
12-04-2022, 12:37 AM
It looks like I have 69 scans totaling 182 mb in size. I think they are all of the cards including terrain and all. Also looks like a complete map of Cerilia scan too.

I looked for a units list with stats and only found some old pbem pages I saved for possible rule adaptions. Mostly were extra unit descriptions and how they are affected by the domain rules.

edit: Wow I just found a pdf with the battlemap and it also appears a pdf for everything else. I am going to have to put this disc in a vault of some kind.

Hi, i know more then a few years have gone by at this time, any chance it would be possible to get my hands on those pressius scans ? Im part of a small group that just started trying out birthright and finding those cards, in physical or even scans seams like searching for a lost relic.

Hope you find this post and kind regards.