PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps...

Bloodaxe
11-22-2001, 09:04 PM
I'm still debating this, but perhaps if any one is interested we could start a new PBEM... I have all the rules and all but one of the expansion packs, which I should have soon...

If I can get help, perhaps we could run a large campaign...

morgramen
11-23-2001, 06:00 PM
Give me a buzz if you decide to do it Bloodaxe. I am starting a 3E Anuire Game (currently full), but if the rules set works well, then I would like to expand the playable area and will need some help then for sure.

Bloodaxe
11-23-2001, 06:25 PM
If you choose too expand, I'll give you a hand... I would like to perhaos run a kingdom as well. At least thats how we do it my currerent table top, everyone plays and two of DM. It actualy works very well. But we'll see...

I'd suggest expanding into the Bretch lands. Will need rules for ships though.

Lawgiver
12-04-2001, 03:02 AM
Let me know and I'm in. I'm running my own right now, but I'm pretty maxed on players. I spend a lot of time GMing. I'd love a shot at playing a descent campaign.

Rhobher Nichaleir
12-05-2001, 04:53 AM
Morg's campaign is taking players but you gotta hurry. go to Bloodsilver.com

morgramen
12-05-2001, 07:49 AM
'Tis true! It's a play test in action though, so be warned.

Lawgiver, what's the URL for your game? I'm a lurker by nature, and am just really snoopy to boot.

:P

Taurus Gaunt
12-05-2001, 05:12 PM
Lawgiver --Ditto on Morg. Like to Lurk.

Lawgiver
12-06-2001, 04:47 AM
Unfotunately, I don't have it up on a website... I have to many snoopy players and don't know enough about HTML, etc. to restrict sections with passwords (VB 6.0 code no prob...). I run the campaign based on a series of emails. (Thus the origin of "PBeM"... hehe...couldn't resist the smart butt comment.)

I store my domains realm data, Domain Actions, etc. in Word 2000 template documents. I had been sending the realm news and updates of events in Anuire and Cerilia through a generic mass email, but I've been planning to switch that to be a section on my webpage.

Sorry guys. You'll have to find something else to lurk around and snoop through. Feel free to check out my website though: http://fan_of_enoch.tripod.com Its still under development [the latest one has only existed for about a month or so], but I'm fairly happy with the initial layout and my players seem to like it. I don't have the web programming knowledge or the time to make a kick butt site like our good freind arjan.

The only thing I found on Bloosilver's site was a PBeM with 3e rules. I've made personal vow for now to boycott 3e. Is the a descent 2e PBeM that's open?

Temujin
12-06-2001, 01:51 PM
Why exactly are you boycotting 3rd edition? Did you look at the rules and didn't like them or is that more of a political statement?

Lawgiver
12-07-2001, 02:24 AM
Its mostly principle...some of my the reasoning:
1. They discontinued Birthright. Which in my opinion was one of the best things TSR ever produced--period!
2. They immediately issued a revised 2e version prompting players to spend their hard earned money on the new material. Then within 2 years they launch 3e and basically throw everything you just bought out the window.
3. They raised prices. If they are trying to increase revenue without having to expand their market. If they were seeking to receive higher quantitative sales the rules of economics would mean that price should go down not up. I don't think there was that much of an improvement in qualtiy to justify the increased cost. And you can throw inflation out the window. Things have gotten cheaper to produce not more expensive. Its the consumer's own fault the prices went up... they are the ones willing to spend the money. Thus I'm taking a stand as a lonely idiot ranting and raving against the economic machine I cannot stop...
4. they bought out West End Games and did the same thing with STAR WARS. They released a new version spawning sales and then immediately switched to a new version that was not compatable... i.e Forcing you to switch and buy new stuff if you wanted get any new expansions.
5. They have no originality between gaming systems they consolidated D&D and Star Wars into similar gaming systems. I prefer the flavor of the unique apporach of each.
6. Their marketing and PR sucks. I never heard a word of their buy out of TSR until I heard they dropped BR and suspended production on several other products. I never even heard the normal propoganda of we are trying to make our products better and provide the consumer with more...
7. Tradition. The game used to be fairly simple and fun to play. Most players had learned the necessary rules and were quite knowledgable of how thing worked. Now the rules are completely different and it takes even longer to learn everything. Character generation requires extreme amounts of research and mathematics. Don't get me wrong I'm an agent of change... I never leave standard rules as is and like to expand them.
8. Cause I like to whine and I don't have the money to buy the new stuff.
9. I like though the 2 was sufficient for the way the game worked. They could have added the concept of feats to 2e without scraping the entire system.
10. The proverbial... Just because.

As far as disliking 3e I have only played once (thus only making one PC). I haven't exhaustively read the PHB or DMG (or any of the 3e stuff for that matter..) so I don't know enough about the rules. I did however like the expanded range of attribute values. I've had my own roleplaying system in the works indefinately and use 1d100. I was also quite impressed with the concept of feats. Though I think there is room for expansion and development of several more feats.

p.s. Remember you asked not me! :P

Riegan Swordwraith
12-10-2001, 05:52 AM
Hello folks.I am interested in getting into a PBeM game as I don't get much opportunity to play BR.Problem is I have never played a PBeM game before.But would like to learn and give it a go.So if anyone can at least tell me how to get some info on how it is done,(rules,etc.)I would be much obliged.

Lawgiver
12-10-2001, 12:36 PM
every DM is different. Your best bet is to scour the internet looking at other PBeMs and figure out what floats your boat. Though I assure you running a PBeM will be far more difficult and a lot more work then you aticipate. If this is your first one, limit it to 4-5 players, for sanity purposes if nothing else.

Riegan Swordwraith
12-10-2001, 04:20 PM
I am not insane....I am going to play in a few before I EVER EVEN THINK of running one!!!:D

Lawgiver
12-11-2001, 03:54 AM
It was late when I read the message... I thought it said you were going to try running one. I'm glad your not. I thought you were nuts for going from zero to full blown GM of a mass campaign.

Riegan Swordwraith
12-11-2001, 04:30 AM
Not this monkey boy!!!!;)

Lawgiver
01-02-2002, 05:58 AM
Orginally posted by LawgiverI've made personal vow for now to boycott 3e.

Alas, I have broken down and won a 3e DMG on ebay and am in the running for a PHB. I fear my boycott would be in vain, thus I shall not duadle behind to far. Besides I found out I had some extra cash I didnt' know I had in a Paypal account from my ebay stuff! Rather than use it wisely I'm splurging... since I didn't know I had the money anyway.

Eisel Miloh
01-02-2002, 02:32 PM
of trying to get information about Birthright up on my adventure board (http://pub16.ezboard.com/bcityofbraeme), though it's very slow going, and I'm busy trying to avoid copyright infringement.
What do you suppose WotC would do to me if I emailed scanned copies of the Boxed set to my players?

Lawgiver
01-03-2002, 12:12 AM
If it were me I'd consider hanging you from the gallows for your crimes! :P

The copyright law is still in effect even if an item has gone out of print. Though they may not press charges you are still commiting a crime.

Eisel Miloh
01-03-2002, 02:48 PM
Don't hang me yet! Just was wondering 'what if', since everyone seems to have such a hard time finding the stuff. So far have only posted a fraction of the information readily available on the net.

Bryon
01-03-2002, 03:30 PM
Your best bet is to keep using most of the stuff that is already on the net. I am sure you can find every domain turn and most of the history on the net.

What else are you looking for?

As for another PBeM. I know of eight right now, and most of them would like some more active players. Yes, I know DM's I have also been slacking.:)

Lawgiver
01-03-2002, 11:59 PM
Don't sweat it Eisel Miloh. I myself have broken the copyright by using their graphics, etc. on my webpage.

Abbess Allessandra
01-04-2002, 02:42 AM
Lawgiver were you aware that if TSR was not bought it would have gone belly up? They were facing bankruptcy and WOTC bought them. I am not pro WOTC by any means but now Hasbro owns them all.
On another note, the character creation is easier if you follow the steps or use the free character generator that comes with the new handbook. I like the ability that you use one dice for your rolls and you don't have to remember things like rolling over or under.

Did you also know that WOTC was going to drop L5R and AEG bought it back from them. It originally started with AEG and that game is continuing on.

There are still rumors flying about that they will release the BR things that were put on the shelf. They released the Book of Regency and the Novel online.

I just wanted to share some positive things with you.

Lawgiver
01-04-2002, 03:28 AM
Orginally posted by Abbess Allessandra

Lawgiver were you aware that if TSR was not bought it would have gone belly up? They were facing bankruptcy and WOTC bought them. I am not pro WOTC by any means but now Hasbro owns them all.

I understand the pressures of economics and realize that some descision may be unavoidable. My discontent was misplaced against all of WOTC due to my frustration with the withdrawal of Birthright. It was irrationale and I am mending my ways (withdrawlas from roleplaying have strange effects on a man...My group has been spilt up for nearly two years and I have only survived by playing on holidays and meager PBems). Now that I am thinking a bit more rationally we shall see.

Riegan Swordwraith
01-04-2002, 05:07 AM
It is in my opinion that the reason that BR didn't do as well as possible was for one reason,players.In particular two types ruined it.First off hack-n-slashers hated the game because in order to get the most out of the game you had to do political intrigue and stuff that most hack-n-slashers hate because their characters are at some ball when all the player wants to do is kill something.The other group was power-gamers drove people who actually played the game and role=played.Every power gamer would find whatever loop-hole he could find to make a super-mack uber-character,which they would do in any game,but BR seemed to make it worse.

Basically what I am trying to say is that BR was too specialized of a game setting for a sizeable chunk of the Role-playing community to get into.

That is my humble opinion.

Lawgiver
01-04-2002, 06:03 AM
Reigan: I concur. Its a shame but I have met many a player (and DM) who lacked restraint and wit to play such a challenging setting as Birthright. But it is the very challenge that makes Birthright the awesome setting that it is.

Riegan Swordwraith
01-04-2002, 06:15 AM
I agree fully.

Eisel Miloh
01-04-2002, 02:49 PM
There was not nearly as extensive an advertising campaign for Birthright as there was for the other worlds - and it was dropped far too early. Did Forgotten Realms become what it is in only a couple of years? But back in the good old days, worlds were developed for the love of the game, and I fear nowadays there is a large monetary consideration. If it doesn't make a million in the first year, pull it off the shelves. Build up the interest by lack of materials for awhile, then start releasing again at higher prices.

Which brings me to my beef against 3rd ed. I have no problems with the edition itself, I'm in one playtest game that is 3rd ed, and I just treat it as a whole new game, rather than a replacement for 2nd ed. BUT. I dislike the fact that they brought out the first books at low prices, hooked tons of people, and now the prices are going to soar - not only for the original three, but for all the new supplements. And the reasons they are giving are totally invalid, and the motivation is transparent. I'm an old lady, (a bit younger than Elminster!) who played in college with a players handbook, a dm's guide and a monstrous manual. Now I have an entire wall filled with supplementals, references, maps on the wall . . .thousands of dollars, and I don't have any more fun than I did then.

Crystan
01-10-2002, 07:36 PM
Orginally posted by Taurus Gaunt

Lawgiver --Ditto on Morg. Like to Lurk.

Lawgiver...If you are curious I just got an affordable Web host with ITX Design...100 MB with SQL and PHP for $7.95 a month. Their web based control panel lets you password protect directories and all that stuff. I am going to use it for my own online Birthright game (Once I finish the darn thing...:) ). Just passing a good deal along.

Lawgiver
01-11-2002, 12:42 AM
Orginally posted by CrystanLawgiver...If you are curious I just got an affordable Web host with ITX Design...100 MB with SQL and PHP for $7.95 a month.

Thanks, but I'll pass. I don't need any more bills right now. I'll make my players suffer through the pop up banners on the free site for now!

Arlen Blaede
02-10-2002, 10:42 AM
Been reading this here thread and noticed that Morgramen was looking to expand his PBeM with the help of Bloodaxe. I am really interested in getting in on this if you have room. I am fairly new to the BR setting, but have ample experience roll playing. Let me know if you have the space.

morgramen
02-10-2002, 09:18 PM
Orginally posted by Arlen Blaede

Been reading this here thread and noticed that Morgramen was looking to expand his PBeM with the help of Bloodaxe. I am really interested in getting in on this if you have room. I am fairly new to the BR setting, but have ample experience roll playing. Let me know if you have the space.

Hello all,

Well, Bloodaxe must have gone his own way, I'm still solo and my game is full at the moment, so I won't be taking on new players anytime soon - sorry to say.

I would be interested in discussing an expansion into Rjurik/Brechtur) ala Warlords of Winter style if there is a DM out there crazy enough to blend the region with the rules set and plot lines I've already got going. I've been tempted to open some regions of Rjurik myself, but with over 40 players already, I figured I'd better restrain myself. ;)

Anyway, if you are interested in running a northern Anurie game in conjuction with Crown, drop me a line and we can negotiate terms. ;)

Rhobher Nichaleir
02-11-2002, 03:30 PM
Morg, Have your boards crashed? I can't get on them. And your COG site is missing all the stuff in the bottom right area.

Dan.

morgramen
02-12-2002, 01:36 AM
The site has moved servers in the last few days, so the pages were down. The web sites are back up now, but there is still some trouble getting the database breathing again. Hopefully the forums will be back in a few days. This is also why the main entrance page is all screwed up. There is section there that require an active link to the database.

Ignore the slq errors. With luck, they'll go away soon and we can all get back to plotting and schemeing.