PDA

View Full Version : random wiki page

BRadmin
11-30-2008, 12:53 AM
we now have a random wiki page on the front page (portal)
it currently only displays pages from the default namespace (so it excluding D20: BRCS: etc etc)

Arjan

kgauck
11-30-2008, 05:24 AM
I love it.

Green Knight
11-30-2008, 05:54 AM
I love it too, except something isn't working. The heading is in dark blue, and when you press a link you don't get taken to the wiki page.

I use Firefox

kgauck
11-30-2008, 06:54 AM
The links to pages and to pages not yet created are identical. I have followed the links to pages. I have also hovered to see ("page name" not yet written) pop up.

BRadmin
11-30-2008, 10:58 AM
I love it too, except something isn't working. The heading is in dark blue, and when you press a link you don't get taken to the wiki page.

I use Firefox

hmm dark blue? i am using FF (3.0.4) too.. all links and colors get the frontpage style...

but i think i will have to refine it... i had to use an iframe instead of an PHP include.. somehow the include didnt work.
with the include i can link the wiki CSS as well so the pages turn up to be the same as the wiki, instead of the render layout it is now...

Green Knight
11-30-2008, 12:39 PM
It's working now. Colors normal and links work. Odd.

AndrewTall
11-30-2008, 03:08 PM
Great idea, with any luck reading will spark an interest or addition.

BRadmin
11-30-2008, 06:52 PM
It's working now. Colors normal and links work. Odd.

you probably caught me yesterday while i was messing around with it... programming on live server ftw ;)

Nameless One
12-01-2008, 01:18 PM
I just got a boilerplate for Single Spell as random page. It would make sense to exclude the boilerplates as well from random selection.

Arjan
12-01-2008, 01:55 PM
I just got a boilerplate for Single Spell as random page. It would make sense to exclude the boilerplates as well from random selection.

good good! hopefully people start using the boilerplates! ;)

there are other pages like some stubs that even make less sense...
i am still working on a better data extraction tool so i can display it better.
i think i will implement something that writes a random page every 5 min to a file, and include that. (less server intensive due to the queries)

we can even make a list of featured articles after...

but for now i think this will do... hopefully it does trigger more people to help out with filling the wiki...

bbeau22
12-01-2008, 02:56 PM
I am suspicious of the randomness of the pages. After a heated discussion about using regency to create magic items .... a "random" page shows up that describes the rules the wiki has for using regency to create magic items.

Or perhaps the wiki has a mind of its own and will take over our computers and the world.

Be on high alert!

-BB

BRadmin
12-01-2008, 04:46 PM
I am suspicious of the randomness of the pages. After a heated discussion about using regency to create magic items .... a "random" page shows up that describes the rules the wiki has for using regency to create magic items.

Or perhaps the wiki has a mind of its own and will take over our computers and the world.

Be on high alert!

-BB

people always say what they dont want.. but hardly ever what they DO want..
Actually i DO want to see an article like you described above (as it is mentioned as variant rules..) ... and yes, brwiki can handle those
i.e. guidelines for variant rules, user pages, user rules, custom made content etc etc are there...

guess you didnt know that..? otherwise you wouldnt have said the above..

you are making me think about even adding the brwiki namespace to the list, so the help pages and guidelines will pop up as well... ;)

Thelandrin
12-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, I like it, but it is a bit spammy if a big and/or empty page is chosen :)

Arjan
12-04-2008, 08:53 PM
Well, I like it, but it is a bit spammy if a big and/or empty page is chosen :)

since we use DPL (dynamic pagelist) to display the page i am quite flexible in pages we query to display.

what we can do is adding article, that are interesting enough, to a category called "featured articles" or so.

i can then use that for the selection criteria and it will only display pages from that category..

Thelandrin
12-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Oooh. That's a nice idea. What will the governing criteria be for deciding a featured article and whom will decide this?

Arjan
12-04-2008, 09:37 PM
Oooh. That's a nice idea. What will the governing criteria be for deciding a featured article and whom will decide this?

something that triggers people to read more? :)

... and i think we can all add those pages.. we dont really have troubles with vandalism or so, and we all can figure out what is really BRish and we would like to present to the public...

Thelandrin
12-06-2008, 11:46 AM
I think we should remove the foreign language and biolerplate articles from random selection. Seeing templates and non-English languages randomly doesn't help on an English-language website.

AndrewTall
12-06-2008, 10:10 PM
I think we should remove the foreign language and biolerplate articles from random selection. Seeing templates and non-English languages randomly doesn't help on an English-language website.

We have quite a lot of non-native english speakers - I'd say include the foreign languages pages as a) they are rare anyway and b) they may encourage more translations.

Thelandrin
12-07-2008, 10:51 AM
I think the right-hand frame (the one with the log-in information and list of wiki updates) needs to be widened. The random article now crowds that frame and squashes up everything in it.

Sorontar
12-08-2008, 02:17 AM
I go away for two weeks and when I come back I find you have changed many things... for the better. I like the random page effect. It might save me from hitting the "random page" whenever I want something new to fix, and I do think it might make the general forum reader more aware of what sort of things can be found in the wiki.

The one problem I have noticed is font conversion. The wiki pages themselves are fine, but when used on the front page of the site, many special characters are wrong.

For example: [[Bacaele]]

Anuire » Boeruine » Front Page

Delwynn’s Ford on the shore of the Elfwash River

The mayor is a roguish and selfish Brecht called Mark Willem Krüger

Any wiki links from these are fine, but it looks a bit funny.

Sorontar

kgauck
12-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Its the same font mix-up that happens on the forums page to show what pages have recently been updated.

I know I have found several pages that needed an edit, and addressed those. It will be a handy tool for that purpose.