PDA

View Full Version : 100 Pages of New Rules Needed

hazard
09-26-2008, 10:44 PM
I see what went wrong. TO much details.
Developers of BRCS 3.5 where on right track after death of project all went wrong.

Hmmmm should elven horse have DEX 15 of 17 ...
I think Think Muden have soft U

I don't know maybe i am just mad there is nothing new for Br and 4e rotten and they are printing FR for 7th time.

maybe we should make some 100 pages of basic rules that all stick to that + wiki. right now every player of BR have its on system and rule.

kgauck
09-27-2008, 12:13 AM
There is no such thing as too much detail. Its much easier to ignore content that doesn't fit your idea of something than it does to invent new material on your own.

I wouldn't begrudge another setting any success either.

I'm not sure why anyone would imagine there is nothing new for BR. Dhoesone and Danigau have been described recently, characters and locations articulated, the history of the breakup of the Imperial Temple and the successor domains has been described.

The BRCS 3.5 is a document, clear and easy to use. What new hundred pages are you looking for?

hazard
09-27-2008, 04:22 PM
I was talking about rules not events. Unified rules for this community. 100 pages of rules

Green Knight
09-27-2008, 06:38 PM
I see what went wrong. TO much details.
Developers of BRCS 3.5 where on right track after death of project all went wrong.

Hmmmm should elven horse have DEX 15 of 17 ...
I think Think Muden have soft U

I don't know maybe i am just mad there is nothing new for Br and 4e rotten and they are printing FR for 7th time.

maybe we should make some 100 pages of basic rules that all stick to that + wiki. right now every player of BR have its on system and rule.

Keep the language civil. And please contribute to the matter under discussion rather than go on a rant that has nothing to do about the naming conventions used.

kgauck
09-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Given that a rules document exists, the BRCS for 3.5, why do you suppose that a new document will be better recieved?

If the document is too similar to the current doc, it will gain few new adherents, if its too dissimilar, those who are happy with the current doc will stick with that.

I think the current document represents about as much consensus as you are going to get.

Elton Robb
09-27-2008, 11:53 PM
I have to agree with Ken on this point. This is going to work, really. We have about enough of what is going on in BR than anything at this point. The 3.5 BRCS on this site is what everyone really needs, and we can continue to make up the details as we go along.

There is another factor to Birthright you haven't even considered. It's a fantasy world. It's not meant to be medieval or mythic Europe. It just uses Medieval or Renaissance Europe as a model and then builds on from that. Rich and Colin built Birthright to what they think Birthright should be.

Nameless One
09-28-2008, 01:18 PM
What BRCS needs the most right now is a PDF version.

kgauck
09-28-2008, 05:10 PM
Its in the downloads section of this web site.

Nameless One
09-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Its in the downloads section of this web site.

Birthright 3ed revision (http://www.birthright.net/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=26) is not the same as the DOC files. For example, it doesn't contain the unique Paladin classes detailed in the DOCs. The Human cultures in PDF give bonuses to skills, while the ones in DOCs give class skills and require Humans to spend their 4 bonus skill points at first level on racial class skills. Feats are also different.

Nameless One
09-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Speaking of rules, I noticed that most, if not all, characters in the wiki are detailed with VP and WP instead of HP, but I failed to find an reference to VP and WP in both versions of BRCS. Is there any post or wiki article that details the rules used to implement VP and WP in Birthright?

kgauck
09-28-2008, 06:09 PM
Its described fully in Unearthed Arcana, but if you want hit points, the VP are the same figure, while the WP is the character's constitution. This system replaces the -10 hp business before dying, and critical hits, instead of doing multiples of damage, goes to WP instead, bypassing VP. When you run out of VP, damage goes to WP.

kgauck
09-28-2008, 06:12 PM
Does anyone know the status of the docs Nameless One is referring to?

Nameless One
09-28-2008, 09:26 PM
The official version history thread: http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2628&page=2 says that DOCs are the latest version.

kgauck
09-28-2008, 09:59 PM
But the last written don't make them the most authoritative.

Nameless One
09-28-2008, 10:52 PM

True. I especially don't like the Scion class. Actually, I still use the old Bloodline Strength stat and calculate the Bld ability when I need the bonus for Blood Abilities. However, the DOCs are more similar to the rules on wiki. For example, feats are absolutely the same. The PDF version contains the useless Erudition and City-Dweller feats. I also like the unique classes for BR Paladins. I don't like the Noble class much in its latest version. It seems to be based on Star Wars Noble, and Resources class feature doesn't have much use for rulers, heads of noble houses and organization leaders unless you impose a difference between personal budget and realm/house/organization treasury in a game. Another thing that is much better in the DOCs (and the wiki, I think) is that Human cultures don't give +2 on skills (Humans already have bonus skill points).

I don't know if they fixed the Magician spell list. The PDF BRCS stated that they shouldn't have access to Illusion spells that mimic the effects of other spells, but they freely gave them Shadow Evocation, Shadow Conjuration and Shades.

Sorontar
09-28-2008, 11:31 PM
Okay, I have been the one going through the BRCS pages on the wiki and trying to make sure that they do match what is in the BRCS pdf docs. For chapters one and two, I used the pdfs for the ammended versions of these chapters. For the rest of the BRCS, I have been using a version of the playtest that I believe is up-to-date for everything but Ch 1 & 2.

The BRCS pages I have checked are all titled BRCS:Chapter N/ and are locked down to prevent editting by the general public. If you find anything that is in the chapters of the BRCS pdf but doesn't match what is on the BRCS wiki pages, please tell us (the wiki moderators) explicitly so that we can investigate it. If you have just noticed an error in the BRCS pdf (and probably the corresponding wiki pages), then either tell us, or use the BRCS:Errata page on the wiki, which is not locked down.

Please note, that there are a lot of BRCS pages on the wiki that have not been reviewed, renamed and locked, and there are bits of the BRCS (like monster descriptions) that haven't been added to the wiki at all. These things take time and resources, something few of us have a lot of.

Sorontar.

kgauck
09-28-2008, 11:55 PM
I still use the old Bloodline Strength stat also, and the scores I've put on the wiki are based on the rulebook not on a 3d6 type stat.

I really like the idea of a noble class, but the one in the BRCS doesn't make any sense to me. As you say, given that a PC might already have a domain, this is a useless class.

I like paladin variants. Almost as much as I like druid variants.

kgauck
09-28-2008, 11:57 PM
I think Nameless One was saying there are Word doc files of more recent version. He contrasts the versions and prefers the doc files to the pdf file.

irdeggman
09-29-2008, 09:57 AM

The doc version of Chapt 1 and 2 are the authoritative BRCS versions.

They were voted on and "sanctioned" by the members of this site at the time.

They are not subject to "rewrites". They could be "edited" due to typos, but not the basic content/theme/rules.