PDA

View Full Version : Shadows of Empire: (game ended)

willezurmacht
09-14-2008, 04:24 PM
Ladies All and Lords!

The excellent and enduring Shadows of Empire BR PBeM game is now admitting new players! Interested parties should contact our DM Julian (loved and feared in equal measures) via PM on these boards (ericthecleric) and inquire after free realms. You could also have a peek at the forums at http://shadowsofempire.6.forumer.com.

About Shadows of Empire
- a DnD 3.5 game, using the birthright.net BRCS as well as some house rules
- a small group of committed players, mostly there since the start
- an open, friendly atmosphere to newcomers
- a crisp and effective DM

The players we would love to welcome are
- conversant with the rules, or not too lazy to look things up now and then
- willing to submit properly written orders and on time
- love to role play a character and watch him grow
- in it not for a moment, but for the long run

So - if you know your Swordhawk from a bastard sword, and you know you'll have the time and energy over the coming months to play, and play actively, with the rest of us, do not hesitate, but write; and before you know it you could be in on it, forging the destiny of Anuire!

Getters
09-20-2008, 07:57 PM
Tis true a great Game of wizards plots and deadly Poltics.

Magian
09-21-2008, 01:20 AM
That makes me curious as to whom you are playing in that game.

Thelandrin
09-22-2008, 12:10 PM
I'm always interested in whom anyone is playing their games. It's an insight into their personalities :)

Rowan
09-22-2008, 02:25 PM
"Wizard's plots," John? To whom might you be referring? :)

Some people do play characters quite different in personality than themselves...

Autarkis
09-23-2008, 12:31 AM
I made an account and PM'd from the SoE website. Should I reply as a PM from here instead?

Gheal
09-23-2008, 07:13 AM
I'm at a loss somewhat. How I can privately deliver my wishes about regents to DM without registering on this game's forum? Or how I can register on this forum, if I must register under my PC name? (Choices still aren't made.) And what list of available domains is correct? I found two of them.
I really wish to participate, for this is slow pace game, which suits me great.
Probably, I miss something on that forum (and this really irks me!), so any help would be appreciated.

Magian
09-23-2008, 09:12 AM
The way I did it was created an account with this name "Magian" and made contact with the GM. Once I worked out what I'd play I created an account with an appropriate name. It does link to an email so you'll need a unique email per account name you make for the website.

Thelandrin
09-24-2008, 08:53 PM
You can sign up with any old name you like, but it must be with a unique email address. Julian (the DM) can always change the account name when necessary.

Gheal
09-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Many thanks. I'm already in the process of joining.

ericthecleric
11-28-2008, 08:06 PM
I'd like to point out that I've ended the game, in case anybody reads this and think it may still be active.

I have a rough idea for Shadows of Empire 2, but if I do start it, it will be in a 1-2 year's time. So not imminently! :-)

cyrano24100
11-29-2008, 06:15 AM
I just spend 2 months playing "tribalwars.net" -- and I notice the main thing I was missing from interacting with people there was that they were not "role players" - they were dry gamers -- all intent on "the win" Larry Sawh had told me this once about people on WoWC (world of Warcraft, which I've intently never played). People tend to be mathematical, even immune to the setting! (or the little setting there is!). It's aazing that I even considered copying some of those elements into my next birthright campaign (time to reach enemy - wa aspects)...
So yeah - I recommend you look for any players who are willing to "roleplay"... Knowing the rules is a bonus.. but someone willing to put character over "logic" is probably a better choice or a player!

my 2 cents

Vicente
11-29-2008, 02:44 PM
I just spend 2 months playing "tribalwars.net" -- and I notice the main thing I was missing from interacting with people there was that they were not "role players" - they were dry gamers -- all intent on "the win" Larry Sawh had told me this once about people on WoWC (world of Warcraft, which I've intently never played). People tend to be mathematical, even immune to the setting! (or the little setting there is!). It's aazing that I even considered copying some of those elements into my next birthright campaign (time to reach enemy - wa aspects)...
So yeah - I recommend you look for any players who are willing to "roleplay"... Knowing the rules is a bonus.. but someone willing to put character over "logic" is probably a better choice or a player!

my 2 cents

While not very related, if someone wants to play an online game that feels like Birthright (not in the settting, but in politics, backstabbing, diplomacy, commerce,...) she should play Eve Online. This is just one example of the crazy things that happen in that game:

http://eve.klaki.net/heist/

While there's little roleplaying, the politics and other aspects involved in that game are simply amazing.

Regards,

Vicente

kgauck
11-29-2008, 07:13 PM
That's some crazy stuff. I think the core of the matter is how to handle betrayal in a game situation. A MMO creates a false sense of knowing someone, making it easier to gain trust and access (such as joining a guild) than it might if actually encountering them without an avatar in a series of adventures.

In a table top RPG, its not the character you trust, its the player. And you generally trust that the player will be the player more than anything. In a pbem (BR or other) you trust no one, unless you have ooc knowledge of them. I've seen all kinds of trust in MMO's that would never be extended to casual gaming companions in real life. Putting all of the group's money in a joint (guild) account facilitates gaming (when you need cash just withdraw, rather than finding someone with spare cash and asking for some) but it also allows for exactly this kind of heist. I've been in games like this where I was granted access to people's houses, where all of their possessions (not on their person) were accessible to me. I've seen romances develop and trust established much faster than would occur in other gaming environments.

This situation was dialed much further in this direction in Star Wars Galaxies when guilds could form their own towns. Suddenly there were guild buildings with communal property. People I didn't even know had stuff I could use because I knew one guy who had recommended me to a guild official.

Games. What an interesting hobby.

Magian
12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
For the record I was Mhoried in this campaign and found a love for a realm that I never really had much of a sense for playing prior to this opportunity. By nature I am a power gamer and my first choice was Boeruine, but I know of the prestige and legacy of the house of Mhoried and decided to take on the challenge. I found myself deeply renewed in the game though I struggled with the rules as Ericthecleric can attest to. I am greatful that I was given this chance to play such a role and I hope I did it justice.

I cannot help but to continue to think of things related to this role and hope that perhaps I may be able to bring about a PS-like item to share with you all. Like the great Kgauck once wisely said it is easier to disregard material that you don't like than to create new ideas. Yeah yeah yeah I know I paraphrased that sorry but you get the gist.

I've also come up with some ideas of Aquitaine as a direct result of playing Mhoried. Hmmm....go figure how could that happen? Trust me its all intricately designed. More than I could have guessed until I read a little history. My version of Aquitaine is very closely tied to Anuire. Yes ultimately the Mhor is tied into the plot as well.

Anyway Eve Online I've heard rocks, I've played WoW which mathematically sucks but then that is just one way to play that game. Beer is good, turkey dinner with my family is nice for the first time in years, paying no rent is great, and being fully employed is really cool. Other than than I don't know what else to say since at this moment I am just babbling. I blame the beer.