PDA

View Full Version : Half-elves

Thelandrin
08-07-2008, 12:19 AM
Discussion thread for Half-elves (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Half-elves).

Both those links appear to point to the same page, one of which should be an "official" page. Suggestions anyone?

bbeau22
08-07-2008, 12:54 AM
I think the very top one is clear and covers all information needed.

Sorontar
08-07-2008, 12:54 AM
One should have been the BRCS page. Now fixed.

Sorontar

Mojczak
08-07-2008, 01:01 AM
Again, isn't there some problem with the "low-light vision" section wording? should be a mutiplier instead of a pure numeral ft consideration? (like, two times a human normal vision, etc)

Thelandrin
08-07-2008, 01:07 AM
You're right. I just changed that to the 3.5 standard of double vision and then I protected it, seeing as it's an official BRCS page.

Sorontar
08-07-2008, 01:17 AM
Apologies for that... I used the wrong version of the BRCS. Now all fixed (I hope).

Sorontar.

Mojczak
08-07-2008, 01:28 AM
Look out for bad formating. Some inner link problem still on the page, I believe.

Sorontar
08-07-2008, 01:32 AM
ta... fixed.

Caelcormac
01-09-2010, 04:28 AM
So, can this be a general discussion area for Half-Elves?

If so:

What Half-Elven Monarchs exist that rule Sidhelien nations? Perhaps even in the past?

AndrewTall
01-09-2010, 10:19 AM
I can't see why they couldn't have ruled sidhe nations - canon is that the sidhe see them as sidhe afterall. However if you use the Hanner Sidhe approach, it might not work quite so well, since the half-sidhe would be a human who had been influenced by the sidhe, rather than a genetic hybrid.

Personally I've never thought that the sidhe got too fussed about rulership, seeing it as a burden, and fundamentally being happy to change 'king' every time they decided the king wasn't going in the right direction, got bored, etc - I have a rather over-long user page on the subject on the wiki. So being fairly relaxed about half-sidhe ruling them rather than full sidhe sounds fine to me.

That said sidhe are immortal, and so the kingdoms may have had very rulers at all - Cwmb Bheinn from recollection still has the same ruler as it did before Deismaar.

So I'd say yes, there probably has been one - certainly there will have been prominent half sidhe (innishiere has one in canon I think), most of the elven realms haven't been dug into much, Tuar Annwn and Lluabriaght are the least accessible or human-friendly, but other realms are possibilities.

Rey
01-09-2010, 10:22 AM
None that I know about, that really rule(d). But they sometimes act as lieutenants, advisors, guilders. Which is very rare, sometimes even impossible. The only example of "liberal" politics toward half-elves that I know of exists in Cwmb Bheinn.

AndrewTall
01-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Rhuannoch is not merely liberal towards half-sidhe, it has welcomed khinasi refugees so probably has many half-elves, Innishiere refuses to allow any humans within its borders per CoTS p32, and Llua is similar, but the sielwode queen has herself borne half sidhe children, and Tuarheviel openly allows human guilds, both should have a fair number of half-sidhe some of which might gain prominence.

It depends a lot on how 'sidhe' the half-sidhe actually is, are they human in blood only, or do they embrace human ideals? A Half-sidhe who is 'more sidhe than the sidhe is quite possible', I think it would be very rare though, and could create some interesting possibilities for game-play (particularly if the half-sidhe was still alive albeit uncrowned).

Of course if you take PSoT as gospel, a human can be queen so why not a half-sidhe ;)

One thing to remember is bloodline - blood counts, even amongst the sidhe. I wouldn't expect bloodlines to be common amongst the sidhe (mostly Deismaar survivors, sidhe that usurped goblins/humans, and the very few offspring thereof) so a half-sidhe with a reasonable bloodline should have a lot of inherent momentum to the top - they would just naturally seem to be the leader.

Rey
01-09-2010, 05:31 PM
Half-elves certainly exist in elven realms, but are not common among high-placed population. Savanne, as a human consort to prince Fhileraene in Tuarhievel, was left by his will to 'sit' at his throne, so she wasn't really a people's choice. In the campaign I've played she was quickly removed from the throne by Rhuandice, who became the new queen. Savanne was unharmed, due to the intervention of a court mage, yours truly. :D

Caelcormac
01-09-2010, 08:05 PM
What I have read about half-elves in Cerilia is that they are equally accepted as if they were Sidhelien fully...

If Isaelie were to leave her throne by whatever manner (death, abdication, abduction, etc.); would it be possible that one of her children fathered by a human become the regent of the Sielwode?

The answer for me would be yes, so long as no full Si were there to take the throne.

Rey
01-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I doubt the elves would sit still, cheer and applaud. There would be factions for and against it. But it could play out in many ways.

Thelandrin
01-10-2010, 02:13 AM
I very much doubt it. Even if the Emerald Throne is not apparently random like the Thorn Throne is, I cannot see any "true" Elf allowing a half-blood as their ruler. Integration is all very well, but you don't want the half-people actually ruling you.

Caelcormac
01-10-2010, 02:31 AM
I thought the same way on this myself...to the point of rethinking the entire idea that was presented in the boxed set.

Simply put, they are accepted in society...but they are NOT fully accepted at all.

AndrewTall
01-10-2010, 06:18 PM
I wondered at one point of a tolkein approach, so a half-sidhe could do an elrond and effectively become fully sidhe by embracing their sidhe heritage unreservedly, or vice versa - changing physically to favour the race of the culture they preferred. But then I see sidhe as having a relatively mutable form, changing over the years to suit their environment, even to the point of becoming fey of various kinds if they followed the appropriate path.

PSoT was a disappointment to me in many ways, I can see Savanne accepted as a bit off fluff, I can see her becoming a hanner sidhe / half-sidhe through eating faerie foods, etc and being tolerated even if Fhileraene died, but I can't see a human having any leadership role. But then the rapid turnover of rulers per the timeline could indicate that they have no real power :rolleyes: Of course, the whole 'The Gorgon demands and Fhileraene obeys thing sounded crazy to me, if the Gorgon could have conquered Tuarheviel (inevitably fighting the Sielwode and Rhoubhe simultaneously) he would have done so long ago - I liked what was done with Sideath and some of the other bits though.

Beruin
01-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Elves seem to be a favourite start of the year topic.

Caelcormac, you might want to check out this from January 2008 on Half-Elves.

Around this time, there were also a number of threads on Sidhelien philosophy, economics etc.
It's a lot to read but there were some very fascinating ideas there.

Regarding your original question, i.e.

What Half-Elven Monarchs exist that rule Sidhelien nations? Perhaps even in the past?, I think sidhe nations will generally be ruled by an elf, except in very unusual circumstances.

However, I still like the idea that the future emperor of Anuire will be a half-elf. To quote myself:

I recently had the idea that the last descendent of the Roele line might very well be a half-elf or, for that matter, an elf with only a faint trace of human blood remaining.
If I recall the events of the Iron Throne novel correctly, Michael Roele comes to Tuarhievel when he is about twelve and leaves a year later, though it only seems to be a few days to him. This is still rather young, though not technically impossible, for him to father a child, and by extending the distortion of time a bit, it becomes feasible that he made his first sexual experiences among the elves. A young elven maiden might have also developed a curiosity about this strange fast-growing human, a child one day, a young adult the next.
Granted, Michael is not described as having a keen interest in the other sex, but this might only be because his potential human brides all pale in comparison to the elven girls he still remembers.
A story line like this might make for an interesting if somewhat distorted campaign arc. The elven or half-elven heir to the Iron Throne might not even know his true ancestor. Perhaps the whole set-up was part of the plan from the beginning and only a few taelinri know the whole truth, bidding their time until the can present a Sidhelien able to claim the throne and establish the rightful elven overlordship over those puny humans...

Well, sounds a bit sick, I guess, but I still find the idea fascinating.

Caelcormac
01-13-2010, 12:29 AM
That was some good reading; although at the end it became VERY off topic. LOL