PDA

View Full Version : Guilder

kgauck
07-01-2008, 02:34 AM
Discussion thread for Guilder (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Guilder). If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

kgauck
07-01-2008, 02:45 AM
I propose that the page "Guilder" be a disambiguation page directing readers to the class information either individually or as "Guilder (class)" and another page listed as Guilder (rank) discussing the role of the leaders of guilds.

I'm presuming that at some point we expect to have a guilder class on that page (its currently a class stub).

We we don't imagine we'll actually have a guilder class, the page can just be converted to a Guilder (rank) type of page with links to the two homebrew guilders linked there now, and the possibility of a Guilder (class).

While I'm on the subject, I think we should disambiguate Noble as well, putting class information on Noble (class) and discussion of the role of nobles on Noble (rank).

Thoughts?

Wilenburg
07-01-2008, 02:48 AM
I think it should be treated as its own class as 3rd edition.
4th I would put it as a paragon class for a new class like a noble class.

Sorontar
07-01-2008, 03:08 AM
Given the content of the page at the moment, I would just make it a page about how Guilders fit in society, then have the "how to play a guilder" summary details that are on the present page at the end.

So it is a rank page with links to how people would play NPC/PC guilders.

Oh, and somewhere on the page is a blooded vs unblooded guilder comparison.

Sorontar

kgauck
07-01-2008, 03:11 AM
We do have a proper Noble class, what about that case?

Sorontar
07-01-2008, 03:54 AM
The Noble page creates a few "problems". First of all, it is part of the BRCS so it can't itself be modified. However, we can stick SeeAlso links on it (as was done to link your variant KG).

The basic stuff about Nobles and society is already there. Perhaps we could just have a page (with SeeAlso from [[BRCS: ...Noble]]) explaining why not every member of the nobility has the Noble class, and how some regents with a noble upbringing can be regents without the class (even if they have Diplomacy, Administrate etc as skills) That is what I think needs to be "clarified".

The alternative is to change [[Noble]] to a page on the rank side, and link from there to the BRCS class (plus variants). The explanation I mentioned above could then be put on the new [[Noble]] page.

Sorontar.

kgauck
07-01-2008, 04:11 AM
originally I was thinking of making Noble a page that had only introductory material but was mostly just disambiguation to the Noble (class) which would be BCRS, and to Noble (rank).

That way, there is no need to go about pages re-linking. Going forward if we mean Noble (class) we can link to that page, but ending up linking to a disambiguation page only adds one extra step.

Rey
07-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Would noble be tied to Law holdings? Guilder to guilds, templar to temples and magician to sources?

kgauck
07-01-2008, 04:52 PM
I believe this question is being discussed in the Classes thread, or was for the first 40 or so posts.

Thelandrin
07-01-2008, 05:51 PM
Well, I already did a Guilder class and there should be a link on that page to it. Is there a huge problem with using mine?

kgauck
07-01-2008, 06:55 PM
There is a link to your guilder. If you think it can get a broad plurality of support, put up a poll.

My concern, however involves links. There are times I use the words noble and guilder to indicate someone's profession or social rank, not their character class. The links take them to class type information, but character class is not social rank.

Elton Robb
09-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Well, I think that if guilder is a social class then it should stay a social class. This means that fighters and other capable people (like bards) can be guilders. Although the Birthright Campaign is built around the concept of class, and for AD&D this works very well; you would have to take out the concept of class to adapt it to different RPG systems.

Especially GURPS (if Steve Jackson ever got the rights to do an official Birthright conversion during Birthright's Heyday, it would be significantly different in how it handled everything connected to class). What I am getting at is that the Guilder should stay a social class. Although the class of rogue fits most Guilders in BR under a 3.5 conversion, since it should stay a social class people of other capabilities with talents of managing a business should be able to be called guilders if they can manage a guild successfully.

IF that makes any sense. It's pretty early for me. :)