PDA

View Full Version : Glyph

Sorontar
06-30-2008, 12:13 AM
Discussion thread for Glyph (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Glyph). If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Sorontar
06-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Okay,I rarely play wizards/magicians so my memory might have got it wrong but the main Birthright usage I was intending for glyphs was the enchanted marks used for magical (and perhaps clerical) warding or protection spells. They are traps or alarms, the sort of thing that a mage would put on something or somewhere of importance.

Runes had been defined formally in the boxset as the dwarven script, but everyone forgets this and applies them to Vos, Rjurik and magic as well. I was trying to differentiate between "runes as an alphabet" and "runes as a mystical mark for the 'barbaric' cultures" and "glyphs as the magical mark of a mage". In that I allowed Anuireans to be confused and call everything "runes", like we tend to. However, I don't like to think they also use "glyph" for everything. To me, "glyph" specifically refers to protection spells and can be personal to the mage. It doesn't need to be consistent across a culture like runes.

What would anyone-else consider Birthright-specific glyphs to be?

Sorontar.

kgauck
06-30-2008, 12:57 AM
My own use has been that a rune is like a potion, a spell storage devise that can be activated by anyone, while a glyph is a spell storage devise only usable by a spellcaster.