PDA

View Full Version : Bindier

Thelandrin
06-24-2008, 10:10 AM
Discussion thread for Bindier (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Bindier).

Stormwatch Abbey is staffed by traditional, Western mediaeval, monks, not the "my ch'i is better than yours" Eastern variety. Whilst the hotlink currently points to the d20 class, what would be a more appropriate link to indicate this difference?

kgauck
06-24-2008, 03:28 PM
I suppose you'll need to make a link for Monastic and either call such people monastics, or use [[Monastic|monk]]. I think calling them monks would be confusing, though and we need a different word.

abbot, runs an abbey
anchorite, a hermit, one who has gone into seclusion to contemplate
brother, since our mythology doesn't much use family terms, I'd drop this one
cenobite, from the latin coenobium meaning convent, it refers to any person living in a religious community
eremite, another hermit, this term implies a religious vow, not just extreme piety
fakir, Khinasi example of a member of a religious order
friar, often implies a mendicant
monastic, one who lives in a monastery
votary, one who has taken solemn religious vows

initiate, postulant and novice are good for the students who hope to join.

Thelandrin
06-24-2008, 05:55 PM
Hmmm. Perhaps we should just keep the Western meaning and keep the d20 term as a sideline?

kgauck
06-24-2008, 06:04 PM
I am concerned that even if we never mention the D&D monk, the mere fact that this has been a D&D setting will imply that my Ch'i is better than your Ch'i. Certainly friar or monastic are familiar enough terms without the issue of confusion.

Thelandrin
06-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Well, perhaps if we clarify the monk page to indicate what "monk" means in Birthright. The rest of the article talks about D&D monks and how to simulate them, but not about Cerilian monks.

I modified the Monk page thus (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/BRCS:Chapter_one/Character/Monk).

Sorontar
06-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Okay, time for me to put my BR wiki mod hat on (and wait for you two to do likewise).

Yes, I agree that a better explanation is required of what "monk" means for Cerilia.

No, don't put it on BRCS:Chapter one/Character/Monk. The rule we have been trying to maintain so far is the the BRCS pages are not be edited. They are HTML versions of what is in the pdf. They don't get changed until the pdf changes. However, it is okay to make disambiguation comments at the head of the page, or put SeeAlso links in the middle of the page. So if we want to change/add things, then write it on a separate page and do one of those "edits" on the BRCS page.

In this case, I am going to stop the monk page being a redirect, and move the new edits there. This will restore the BRCS to what it is.

Yes, we may be repeating content but the BRCS is a special case for the wiki and we need to make sure we keep it clear which pages are "sanctioned" and which are "fan work".

Sorontar.

Thelandrin
06-24-2008, 11:56 PM
We should probably protect the BRCS pages then, but I forget what our policy is on that.

Setting up "monk" as a separate page definitely makes more sense, I agree.

Sorontar
06-25-2008, 01:05 AM
The BRCS pages are protected I believe.... except from the BR wiki moderators, cause its our job to be able to edit anything.

By BRCS pages, I mean any page that actually has BRCS:... as its title. A lot of the wiki has BRCS pages that haven't had their page names changed simply because I haven't had the time to go through all of them and visually check they still match the PDF. These pages normally have the breadcrumb to other parts of the BRCS at their top.

So far, most of Chapters 1 and all of the introductions for the other chapters are protected.. The Main Page for the wiki is also protected. Look at Category:BRCS.

Sorontar

Thelandrin
06-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Right, well then we need to just protect the entire BRCS category. The monk page wasn't, so my mistake.

cccpxepoj
06-25-2008, 10:46 AM
cloistered cleric, the cleric variant class in Unearthed Arcana( page 50) give up some of cleric martial powers, for more skills and spells, i use them as monks( western definition of them) in my birthright campaigns .