PDA

View Full Version : D20 Birthright

Arjan
11-21-2001, 10:37 AM
I was wondering, if there would come some kind of D20 module for birthright, what kind of module would you be interested in?

- revised rules, cerilia 50 years later
- adventures
- book of guildcraft
- more players secret of....
- SW modules

something else?

sivar
11-21-2001, 02:54 PM
I would like to see more of the topic that hasnīt been talked about.
1.where was the humanoid gods in Deismaar?
2.more info about the humaoid gods.

I would not like cerila 50 years later. Just revised rules. My party has been developing cerile for some time and I would not like it if some other strain of time would rule cerila 50 years later.

More player secret.
Info about the shadow world.

Othmaar
11-21-2001, 11:30 PM
A balanced and comprehensive set of rules gives us more time to play and less time to argue. We have a campaign running and a 50 year hop would be a waste of ink on us.

Lord Eldred
11-22-2001, 01:35 AM
50 years later would suck since we have been going for sometime like the other groups mentioned here.

We could use adventures.

Temujin
11-22-2001, 02:39 AM
Improved, Revised and Expended rules are what I'd call for. I'm personally working on an improved war system for a game I plan to start soon. Of course, I'll post details here when I've done something I like.

Chioran
11-22-2001, 01:48 PM
I would like to see a well structured, easier/faster to use set of mass combat rules for wars. With the d20 system this would be relatively easy to do.

Leland
11-23-2001, 09:41 PM
Orginally posted by Temujin

Improved, Revised and Expended rules are what I'd call for. I'm personally working on an improved war system for a game I plan to start soon. Of course, I'll post details here when I've done something I like.
There is always the AD&D Battlesystem. There are also d20 conversions for it readily available on the net.

Leland

Lawgiver
12-04-2001, 03:27 AM
1. Rule expansions
2. I agree that the 50 year later thing would be a waste of ink. It would basically throw most of our campaigns out the window. (Unfortunately I have not been blessed with players who last more than a few years before losing intreest, getting kileed etc.)
3. More player's secrets of the realms would be great.
4. Reasonable adventures would be good. Unfortunately I have been sadly disappointed by the BR adventure sets in the past. The Sword of Roele was laughably pathetic. The monkey king??? and the combination of monsters and room contents... yeah right. did we back track to the dark ages of D&D 1st edition throw together dungeon crawling...

The Sword and the Crown at least had some element of a plot. It was a modest adventure.

More books similar to the The Legends of the Hero Kings would help. I prefer basic outlines and ideas. Just enough to get the ball rolling (my brain gets burned out after years of playing...) and then letting the GM take over or tailor it to their campaign.

Oeric Galdaneth
12-06-2001, 11:31 PM
... the Player's Secrets. I think Cerilia has a lot to develop. A friend of mine designed some languages for Cerilia, and I'll try to convince him on posting them here. Now, I've started a game based on the South Coast, I have had a lot of problems with Diemed and Mieres... Even the Spiderfell!

Dosiere
12-21-2001, 04:30 AM
Should the supplements ever start coming out again, or if someone is ambitious enough to submit to the writers guild, I have to side with the majority that changing the BR setting (adding another 50 years of history) would not be worthwhile.

Completing the Players Secrets Series of all "Suitable for Players" realms should be a high priority. If not this, then perhaps going with a little less detail to each realm and doing regional sourcebooks, similar to the format adopted by Forgotten Realms, would be more appropriate.

Beginning a Secrets of the Blood of Darkness series that details all of the Awnsheigh's domains...perhaps a "Blood Enemies II: Realms of Abominations" book, with sections devoted to each Awnsheigh domain, instead of just the creatures themselves. (I know there was a touching of this in the Blood Enemies but much more detail is needed to bring those realms to life).

A fully backed and published, definitive Rules Expansion (a full 3rd Edition rewrite). Travis Doom's work is very good, but much more could be added.

Book of Guildcraft, Book of Guildcraft, Book of Guildcraft

Legends of the Hero-Kings II...recalling fondly the format of the old 1st edition Book of Lairs.

In the months before WotC bought out TSR, there were plans to do a whole trilogy of adventures in the SW, culminating in the Return of the Cold Rider. It would have been nice to see something like this, but considering the record of adventure quality for BR, I am luke-warm on this subject.

A completly revised and revamped war resolution system. The cards are cumbersome and awkward. Who really uses the published system anyway? The ideal system, IMO, would be a simple, streamlined system with many optional rules to bring different factors to bear. It would accomodate skirmishers and full-sized armies of thousands. Thoughts of Battlesystem are runnning through my head, but for my vision of a functional war system, minitures would not be necessary. (I think TSR Battlesystem had a simple paper and pencil resolution system, but I can't remember at the moment)

We could also beg Karyn Wynn Fonstad to do an Atlas of the Birthright World.

And now the 'modus operandi' of WotC seems to be to release a rules heavy basic system, then release a world book for different campaign worlds. It would be nothing to take all the data from Ruins of Empire, Rjurik Highlands, Cities of the Sun, Havens of the Great Bay, and Tribes of the Heartless Waste, convert to 3rd Edition, and combine into a single hardback book with 4 poster size maps that show the whole continent...just a thought.

Many of my ideas would need commercial backing, and are beyond the scope of this website...unless we start writing nasty letters to WotC, but that is just what I'd like to see.

Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel
12-24-2001, 10:18 PM
I may be the only person who is interested in Cerilia, 50 years down the road. I understand that some of the information that would come from this time jump would be useless to old campaigns, but I think it could provide a slightly different and interesting approach to campaigns, especially since many of us have information from much of the campaign memorized from exposure. I just like change and a sense of continuity, I guess.

I'm all about Player's Secrets to be continued/finished (even redone for 50 years future).

What would the boook of Guildcraft have?

Personally, I would also like to see new blood abilities and domain actions of an official capacity.

linnorm
12-27-2001, 09:02 PM
I'd also like to see an update of the history. It would add a new element to starting campaigns. Old stratagies would have to change to account for the new political climate, etc. The updated campaign info could be in a separate section to allow easy access to the updated rules.

New blood abilites, domain actions, spells, skills, classes, etc. would be great too. The main thing would be updating and normalizing the rules to work together in the new edition.

Lawgiver
12-28-2001, 04:07 AM
I reitterate. He who requests the changes leads the committe! I expect a full status report on my desk no later than next Friday. ;)

Lord Eldred
12-28-2001, 04:11 AM
I agree with Lawgiver, I would suggest duplicates be placed on my desk as well!

morgramen
12-28-2001, 06:07 AM
Nay!

Triplicate! I want one too!

Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel
12-28-2001, 02:46 PM
Quite the response. I'll just have to throw myself into this one.

Lawgiver
12-29-2001, 05:18 AM
[odd... for once I suggest something and the others followed suite...]

Lord Eldred
12-29-2001, 05:22 AM
Let us just see if Gargamel follows through!

Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel
12-29-2001, 09:53 AM
I'll take that as a challenge.

Elton Robb
01-05-2002, 05:19 AM
Okay all those that want 50 years of Anuirean History, this is what would happen.

I would fight to have Prince Raesene (Stony Butt, the Gorgon) gain his Godhood, but become something like Bane and Cyric combined: a God of Tyranny, Lies, and Deception. But be a Lesser God (more fun that way!).

And have everyone, Belinik and Kreisha included, his Foes.

If you want 50 years of expanded history, you've got to pay the price!

Respectfully Yours,
Elton Robb

Bryon
01-05-2002, 06:03 AM
OK a D20 BR??? Well I have to admit that I have not looked at any of the other D20 books. So instead what would I look for in a BR Book.

I must say that following the format from the Forgotten Realms book would be good. You can give a slight overview of all the realms and show a complete atlas with alot of unknowns.

Get the rules fixed and make large battles easier. I threw out the cards long ago and just wing large scale battles. Yes, a full Guildcraft section would help.

Make a good starting adventure that could get the players having to explore all of Cerilia and than wanting more.

Leave room for more...get people to want to find out what is going on and wanting to delve deeper.

Lastly, as to fast forward 50 years. Why you have so much to explain in this time don't move forward until you are done here.

This really sounds like it would be best as two books a DM and Players guide.

Strahd
01-08-2002, 01:03 PM
I believe that 15-20 years would suffice, 50 years is probably too much. I mean, at 551 hell was about to break loose everywhere! The FRCS is a nice examples, they advanced almost 15 years in the future and a lot of things happened!

Perhelion
01-08-2002, 08:52 PM
I've just seen Dosiere's mention of Karyn Wynn Fonstad... That would be a great idea! Geography IMHO is one of the best sources of ideas for adventures... It might be a bit hard to persuade her to do it though :(

Dosiere
01-09-2002, 05:26 AM
Well...I do GIS professionally and have a Municipal Cartography Business that I operate on the side. I could do the mapping for 3rd edition...amd a la Fonstad, I could go back through the books and include those areas in detail.

Elton Robb
01-09-2002, 05:32 AM
Orginally posted by Dosiere

Well...I do GIS professionally and have a Municipal Cartography Business that I operate on the side. I could do the mapping for 3rd edition...amd a la Fonstad, I could go back through the books and include those areas.

It seems that we have our Cartographer.;)

Respectfully Yours,
Elton Robb