PDA

View Full Version : 2nd ed.

Jaycen
11-21-2007, 04:09 AM
Any possibility of supporting a 2nd ed. portion of the site, or forum?

RaspK_FOG
11-21-2007, 05:03 AM
I'm sorry if this will sound like hyperbole, but there's a search function for a reason; there are numerous topics on AD&D 2nd Edition and its inclusion on the forum, so you might as well contribute to them and bump them up the list, instead of adding yet another such topic without bothering to look if there's any of them around already.

As for the site, well, there's little that can be done aside from contributing articles and the like as far as it is reasonable to assume. Between all official AD&D 2nd Edition being copyright material and trademarks of TSR, Inc. and the new status quo in D&D, with a new edition already run, it getting revised, and the newest edition coming along, one can only deduce that, well, there would be some difficulty in the inclusion process for any 2e material being put up. At the most, it would be things like interesting NPCs, maybe spells, variant rules on holdings or strategic combat, even developments in your campaign, or a number of things, but what else is there to put that is explicitly 2e and that would warrant an explicit move on the admin's part instead of the members's specifically?

I am not trying to be condescending, but there's a slight fault in all this argumentation that is being brought up every now and then about the inclusion of oldies around here. First of all, the site cannot put up anything that another has rights to its copying, like old TSR products. Furthermore, any free material can only be linked to via the official Wizards of the Coast page, as far as I know.

Finally, and that is the most important issue around here, you seem to be asking the administrators to provide you with things that they hardly have any control of. I assure you that if they felt like putting up any old stuff of theirs that they are allowed to just do so, they would have gotten over with it a long time ago with all the complaints about more old stuff, less newbie things. Doesn't it sound to you like you expect them to do all the job for you, anyway?

I mean, honestly speaking, why don't just people ask if others have anything of that kind to contribute first, or even provide their own insight? And, admittedly, there have been a few such examples, but some of them were, ironically so, ranging from outright flaming for newer editions (which is not needed on a discussion board per se) to derogatory remarks when someone informed them that the original poster asked a question regarding handling things in the newest edition, not a list of the reasons the previous edition handled everything better.

I hope you realise not all of this is directed at you; frankly, I'm just trying to deliver a preemptive strike before infinite profoundly annoying messages with next to no resemblance and less friendliness to your own crop up around here.

AndrewTall
11-21-2007, 10:49 PM
<Blink> <blink>

To avoid doubt, anyone who wants to post 2e here or on the wiki is - to the best of my knowledge - welcome; if they post in a 'my edition is better than yours' way they may get flamed back, if truly offensive in what they post they may get their posts, or themselves, moderated. So far no-one has quite reached the latter barring spamsters (if you want posts about male medical issues or software let us know, well let them on again).

In short anyone who has bits of a home campaign is welcome to share it regardless of edition - or system - used. Posting stuff is not solely down to site oldies and moderators - we are as interested reading in your stuff as you (hopefully) are in reading ours and the chances are we've posted a lot of it already, buried in the bowels of the forum to be unearthed only via the search function though it may be.

The wiki is open for anyone to post - I have set up several indexes waiting for people to add links to their own stuff which can be accessed from the wiki main page, just scroll down to the bottom section of the main page below the BRCs chapters - those pages are all for fan-based stuff. If unsure about how to set up a page etc let me know and I'll try help out.

The slight delay in posts by new people appearing on the forum is to stop zillions of spambots, and large numbers of 'discussion page' posts arising from people hitting the button on the wiki by mistake, etc. If you are posting but it doesn't show up in a day or so PM a moderator and say 'wah' or 'oi' as your personality dictates.

If unsure how to post something PM a moderator or ask anyone who's been around for a whiles.

Jaycen
01-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks much Andrew. I'll try to do just as you recommend. I admit I hadn't tried the search, but had browsed a lot of the site looking for something my speed.

If I don't find what I want via search, I'll try to offer something up.

Thanks again.