PDA

View Full Version : Awesome job Wiki contributors

Riggswolfe
08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
I've been watching all the recent activity and mega updates on the Wiki. Just wanted to say you guys are awesome. I've considered contributing but honestly, having never done a wiki before, I'm a little leery of jumping in.

AndrewTall
08-16-2007, 08:18 PM
If unsure you can always mail your stuff to one of us - my 'wiki 101' is around but I attach a copy anyway - it gives an indication of how to make it easy for me / one of the others to wikify your stuff. Just warn me if you don't want me to mess with typesetting, grammar, want a disclaimer/something added, want stuff put up straight without additions it might inspire, etc.

Tables and pictures are harder to put up but a straight word transfer is simple to do. The time tends to be on chopping it into bite size chunks - the wiki doesn't like you going over 32,000 characters or so.

But please don't hesitate to try posting stuff - you can always practice in a sandbox to get it to look right, for example: http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/BrWiki:Sandbox/7

kgauck
08-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Size limits are mostly an issue for copying exiting stuff into the wiki. If you see a place, or NPC that seems brief and needs some detail, and you have such detail, a couple of sentences or a paragraph can really enliven an entry.

The wiki motto is "Be Bold!" so go ahead and add stuff.

AndrewTall
08-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Also you will see that most of the links in PC tips and DM tips have yet to have pages written up - it would be great to see other people's ideas about how to expand or run their games on the wiki.

A popular update for a number of contributors has been organisations - the main page has slots for everything from an adventuring band to a full blown new Kingdom via bandit groups, merchant caravans and the various holdings in between.

Another popular page is House Rules - some people do long pages others just add a page on a particular rule that they change.

Pages which have a number of links but have not yet been created include:

Urga-Zai
Hogunmark
Ariya
Binsada
Coullabhie
Northern Imperial Temple
Celestial Jewel of Sarimie
Port of Call Exchange
Stjordvik Traders
Militant Order of Cuiraécen
Erebannien
Iron Throne
Storm Holtson
Orthien Tane
Hubere Armiendin
Regency
Infantry
Archers
Cavalry

So far we have tried to do realm write-ups in a consistent format - see Roesone or Danigau (for a version with indented text). If you want to do a realm write up and the realm hasn't been started yet I would suggest selecting 'edit' on Roesone or Danigau and copying the entire wiki page into a word doc, then just amend the text, then copying it back to the page you actually want - most of the realms should be accessible via the nation pages (on the top half of the main page).

If you do create a page please consider adding a link to it from the Encyclopedia of Cerilia - http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Encyclopedia_of_Cerilia

AndrewTall
08-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Another easy way to start would be with an awnsheghlien - most have a page made but no text entered - just translating a Blood enemies write up would help others without access to the book and any plans and tactics would be a bonus for everyone. If you can translate them to 3.5e then even better.

TheChamberlain
08-22-2007, 10:38 AM
I have to agree, I have been absent for 3 years....and when I return, wow what an excellent job. A huge congratulations to all involved excellent work!

And huge thank you from all the BRight GM's out there, this will prove invaluable!