PDA

View Full Version : Orthodox Imperial Temple

Thorsten
07-17-2007, 04:56 AM
Discussion thread for Orthodox Imperial Temple (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Orthodox Imperial Temple). If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

kgauck
05-20-2008, 01:42 AM
We've had two OIT's for a while and they've needed to be merged. I've gone through all the data on Orthodox Imperial Temple of Haelyn, and migrated it to Orthodox Imperial Temple. I've changed the very Greek names to Anuirean names, though in as many cases as I could, I selected similar names.

I think that Orthodox Imperial Temple of Haelyn could be deleted.

kgauck
05-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Any reason not to delete Orthodox Imperial Temple of Haelyn?

Thelandrin
05-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Why not just set up a redirect from OIToH to OIT, if the second page is better quality than the first?

kgauck
05-27-2008, 10:57 PM
A redirect is fine. Its retiring the duplicate page that I'm asking about.

Sorontar
05-27-2008, 11:48 PM
This is a wiki... if we want it back, we can recover it. If you think you have merged the two pages (with amendments) enough to your liking, then go ahead and delete/redirect it.

Sorontar

kgauck
04-08-2009, 01:14 AM
I wonder about the Catholicism of the titles here. We have other titles for canon figures in temples of Haelyn, such as Supreme Hierarch and Archprelate. I'd just as soon swap them out, but wonder what others think.

AndrewTall
04-08-2009, 09:29 PM
I'd prefer a slightly less obvious link to any particular faith - those who want the link will be able to make it, but those who want to soften the 'medieval realism' will prefer the distance.

kgauck
04-09-2009, 02:58 AM
Not even the medieval realism, since borrowing whole sets of offices intact means you can encounter real analogs of this today. Its more the contemporary realism I'm worried about.

AndrewTall
04-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Particularly with the more 'keen' faiths - which is probably most of them somewhere or other.

kgauck
04-15-2009, 02:16 AM
I propose Patriarch for the domain, archon for major subdivisions of domain (like the senior priest of a realm), and periarch for each province.

Currently you'd end up with a Patriarch for the OIT, an archon for Diemed, Brosengae, and Aerenwe, and one for anywhere else the OIT thinks it has followers (even of they have no political power and function more like a embassy), plus an archon in every province of Diemed and some number of archons in Brosengae and Aerenwe, plus anywhere else someone wants to see them.

I'm more concerned with the titles than the exact organization for now. Patriarch, archon, periarch?

Thoughts?

Thelandrin
04-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Why on earth would the OIT have an archon for Brosengae? There isn't a single Haelynite temple holding in Brosengae and it would naturally fall under the WIT's purview anyway.

While I'm not too fond of the word "archon", I think it's a great word to suit the most lawful and intemperate faiths of Haelyn. However, would it kill anyone to have at least one of the major faiths as a Catholic analogue, which is blatantly what the Imperial Temple originally was?

kgauck
04-16-2009, 05:15 AM
I don't think the Imperial Temple shares anything at all with Catholicism.

Rowan
04-16-2009, 04:09 PM
I don't think the Imperial Temple shares anything at all with Catholicism.

I think it's an example of a legalistic temple desiring cultural purity and lack of change that has borrowed some terminology from Medieval titles--but more from Eastern titles than Western.

It's not a clear analogue to anything, though I think it is as analogous to pre-Christian Hebrew/Jewish religion and to Eastern Orthodox as it is to Catholicism, if not moreso. I have seen it as more Byzantine than Roman, and more Pharisaical in practice than parochial.

I'm fine with any titles, as long as they're semi-consistent (they don't need to be entirely consistent or make complete sense; funny things happen over millennia of cultural and administrative development). I would think that the OIT maintains Legates (representatives of the Patriarch) in any province where Haelyn's Aegis holds sway. Haelyn's Aegis being a combination knightly/monastic order nominally under the authority of the OIT. Legates would also be frequently seen, even if not very welcome, in the IHH, temples of Cuiraecen, and other temples of Nesirie, with the OIT trying to fulfill its perceived role as Imperial Temple and representatives of the head of the pantheon.