PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody considered a Birthright campaign mod for Medieval II Total War?

ebak
07-05-2007, 07:20 PM
Has anyone ever thought of making a Birthright mod for Medieval II Total War? Someone expressed interest in the M2TW forums a while back but I don't think the project ever took off...

Just a thought...

Fizz
07-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Has anyone ever thought of making a Birthright mod for Medieval II Total War? Someone expressed interest in the M2TW forums a while back but I don't think the project ever took off...

Just a thought...

As both a big fan of the Total War series and of Birthright, i'd find this to be really cool and natural combination. However, i wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it. It's got to be a small niche of people who like both, and at least a few of them would need to be modders.

Possible, but unlikely.

-Fizz

Lord Rahvin
07-05-2007, 09:30 PM
Of course, the same could be said of any mod ever designed...

On 7/5/07, Fizz <brnetboard@birthright.net> wrote:
>
> This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.
> You can view the entire thread at:
> http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=3914
>
> Fizz wrote:
> ------------ QUOTE ----------
> Has anyone ever thought of making a Birthright mod for Medieval II Total
> War? Someone expressed interest in the M2TW forums a while back but I don`t
> think the project ever took off...
>
> Just a thought...
> -----------------------------
>
> As both a big fan of the Total War series and of Birthright, i`d find this
> to be really cool and natural combination. However, i wouldn`t hold your
> breath waiting for it. It`s got to be a small niche of people who like
> both, and at least a few of them would need to be modders.
>
> Possible, but unlikely.

RaspK_FOG
07-06-2007, 02:18 AM
I have considered something similar for Medieval: Total War, but then I realised that the point would be moot, since I would only be making a Birthright-like Medieval: Total War - since the engine allows for little changes to be done (not as many as would be needed, I think).

vota dc
07-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Yes,we have already talk about that.However is a bad idea (we can even make a Birthright mod of aok with genied2.1...lol it is very easy).
But I think that we need a new game...but Sierra has ruined Birthright reputation (too few funds= low AI,bad graphic for adventure mode,only Anuire and not Cerilia,very little diffusion) for the useless Betrayal Antara that is even not compatible (it works....but too fast unplayble) with the new Windows version while the great Gorgon's Alliance works without problems!

Fizz
07-07-2007, 05:37 PM
I have considered something similar for Medieval: Total War, but then I realised that the point would be moot, since I would only be making a Birthright-like Medieval: Total War - since the engine allows for little changes to be done (not as many as would be needed, I think).

Oh, you can get quite a lot out of the -2 engine. Take a look at what was done with the Rome Total War engine (of which Medieval 2 is an enhancement) for Rome Total Realism (www.rometotalrealism.org).

The question is whether there is enough support for it. It's a lot of work for just one modder to do.

-Fizz

teloft
07-09-2007, 01:17 PM
It's a lot of work for just one modder to do.
-Fizz

I can help.

- Kári

ebak
09-17-2007, 11:31 AM
The MTW community has all sorts of scripts and custom contents to make almost anything possible... the only thing that probably needs to be done would be to add effects for spells wherein the number of spells memorized or the charges for a wand would be placed in the ammo variable

ShadowMoon
09-17-2007, 11:38 AM
To many times I got hooked up on the idea of making Birthirght: Total War, and/or Europa Universalis: Birthright, and nothing happened, and was disappointed every time. Anyway I am always for it, and prolly could help with CG (2d & 3d), but until something serious come up, I'll remain skeptical...

Caelcormac
03-12-2010, 07:19 AM
I don't suppose anyone is around that could do this now is there?

I like playing Total War, but a Birthright mod for this game would be amazing.

Rey
03-12-2010, 08:41 AM
There would be a lot of us who'd like to play it. Just the other day I reminisced with a friend of mine about it. The magic part would be a bigger challenge than putting up a map. But, then again, none of us can do even that. Shame...

TheChamberlain
03-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I personally think Elemental: War of Magic is better suited for a mod. I'm in the BETA and already it has the foundation for a Birthright campaign setting. Its also fully moddable.

Just a taste of whats already in: Sovereigns, Realm Magic, Tactical Battles, 32 Player MP, Unit customisation, City building and Questing...oh and a fully customisable map *cough* Cerilia. ;)

Check out the site

http://www.elementalgame.com/

Anyone interested is starting a BR Mod please contact me, I may be of use being a Professional Graphic Artist & Web Designer.

Detailed listing of features:

Basic Game Play

Players start the game with their sovereign placed in a land that has been completely devastated. In that ruined world, they must build a civilization – found cities, research technology, build an economy, train soldiers, learn spells, and much more.

There are other factions trying to do much the same thing who have their own ideas on how the world should be ordered. Victory can be attained through many different means: conquest, diplomacy, magic, or quests. The player decides which path in a given game has the best hope for success.

Kingdoms & Empires

When setting up the game, players choose a nominal allegiance to either the Kingdoms or the Empires. The difference between the two in Elemental is where they draw their magic from – life or death. The Kingdoms use life magic in conjunction with the elemental shards to cast spells. The Empires use death magic. This has a very explicit effect on the world that is quite visible.

Cities of Elemental

Only sovereigns can found new cities. When a city is founded, it is an outpost. Over time, as its population grows, it will be promoted to a village, then a town and then eventually to a city. Each promotion brings with it new structures that can be built, greater income and more resources to draw on.

Quests

Players are not the only ones who can go on quests in the world. Across the lands, parties of adventurers are exploring dungeons, ruins, and abandoned castles looking for glory, treasure, rare items or all of the above. Some of these adventurers can be recruited. Other times the player, as the sovereign of their lands, must clean up the mess of these adventurers.

Designing your Sovereign

Players can choose one of the 10 great Sorcerers of the world or create one of their own. When they do so, they can design how they look, what books of magic they carry, how powerful they are natively and even give them their own back story to share with other players via the Internet.

The Magic System

Depending on their allegiance, players build up life or death mana that can be used, in conjunction with the elemental shards that they control (earth, air, fire and water) to cast spells. What spells they know depends on what books of magic they have along with which of the spells in those books they have learned. Spells require mana as well as control of a certain number of different types of shards.

Researching Technologies

After the cataclysm, much of the technological knowledge of the world was lost. While some of it is easy to restore (such as farming), other types of technology will take more effort to restore (advanced metal working for instance).

Dynasties

As the sovereign of your Kingdom (or Empire) you will have the opportunity to get married and have children. In time, these children will grow up and potentially become great heroes for you to call on. Alternatively, players can marry their children off to other civilizations in exchange for an ongoing dowry (money per turn), a relationship bonus and a place in the line of succession in that faction. Moreover, the off-spring of those children may return to you as adults to join your faction.

Diplomacy

Conquest isn’t the only way to get what you want in Elemental. Players can also put time and effort to improving their diplomatic skills in order to obtain the technologies, resources and political outcomes they desire.

Unit Design

There is no such thing as a “knight” in Elemental. Instead, players create their own classes of units (that they can call knights if they want). Starting with a peasant, the player gives them equipment and assigns them training to turn them into a soldier.

Warfare

When two forces meet, players can choose to have those battles instantly resolve or go into a tactical battle mode to either watch the battle take place or control the action turn by turn. In battle, players can cast devastating spells, flank enemy positions, go for the high ground and much more.

Men & The Fallen

Elemental comes with 10 factions that are loosely divided between the races of men and the races of the Fallen. The races of men are humanoid beings that naturally evolved on Elemental. The races of the Fallen are beings that were ultimately bred by the Titans long ago are are considered unnatural.

Rey
03-12-2010, 12:06 PM
I think my mouse gently slides towards the pre-order button...

TheChamberlain
03-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I think my mouse gently slides towards the pre-order button...

If you Pre-order now you'll sneak in in the end of March BETA.

BTW if you sign up on the forum check me out 'Anomander'.

Vicente
03-13-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm also in the Elemental Beta (and I think it would be great to mod as Birthright). My username there is the forums VicenteC, but I'm totally swamped with work to post much there or to help on a mod right now :(

JakobLiar
03-16-2010, 03:20 AM
Yeah, I think I made mention of this once, but someone told me to instead to just play Dragon Age.