PDA

View Full Version : Haelyn (Deities and Demigods)

Thelandrin
06-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Discussion thread for Haelyn (Deities and Demigods) (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Haelyn (Deities and Demigods)). If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Exalted Anuirean? Am I missing something? What happened to Outsider etc.?

Elton Robb
06-15-2007, 10:45 PM
The first time I proposed this sort thing, somebody said: "They aren't outsiders." So, I had to put something down.
:D

RaspK_FOG
06-16-2007, 04:21 AM
Actually, the outsider type reflects how a being is "not entirely natural." These characters should all have some base levels in their appropriate classes, but they should also have a number of outsider Hit Dice to signify their divine status (apart from their divine rank, of course)... On the other hand, none of them should have the Extraplanar subtype, but the Native one.

P.S.: Silliness is warranted in this case, but let us NOT overdo it.

Thelandrin
06-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I think that their transformation into gods completely removed the Native status, even if they're not Extraplanar. After all, they're now divine beings, free from the disadvantages of the Native subtype and, if you follow the D&Dg rules, complete with all the divine advantages, including the Outsider hit dice and Outsider (ethics, morals) type.

Edit: For the record, "Medium-sized" is now just "Medium". Also, "Insider" sounds silly. Just indicating that they're (possibly non-native) non-extra-planar Outsiders should do the same trick.

kgauck
06-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Gods would have to be the ultimate insiders.

Elton Robb
06-16-2007, 05:15 PM
I think that their transformation into gods completely removed the Native status, even if they're not Extraplanar. After all, they're now divine beings, free from the disadvantages of the Native subtype and, if you follow the D&Dg rules, complete with all the divine advantages, including the Outsider hit dice and Outsider (ethics, morals) type.

Edit: For the record, "Medium-sized" is now just "Medium". Also, "Insider" sounds silly. Just indicating that they're (possibly non-native) non-extra-planar Outsiders should do the same trick.

A couple of Native Outsiders coming up. :)

RaspK_FOG
06-16-2007, 09:27 PM
Actually, Thelandrin is correct: I forgot that the Native subtype indicated a creature that was semi-deific and does not much the whole godly theme - which would make using it erroneous. Outsiders are fine, anyway - the entry regarding outsiders reads: "Some creatures start out as some other type and become outsiders when they attain a higher (or lower) state of spiritual existence." If that is not relevant to ascension as well, I wonder what would ever be...

Thelandrin
06-18-2007, 11:03 AM
Why is Haelyn DvR 20? That is the greatest power that any god can be. Are you intending to make all the Greater Gods that, or just Haelyn? For reference, even people like Zeus and Odin are only DvR 18 or so.

Elton Robb
06-18-2007, 03:11 PM
Why is Haelyn DvR 20? That is the greatest power that any god can be. Are you intending to make all the Greater Gods that, or just Haelyn? For reference, even people like Zeus and Odin are only DvR 18 or so.

Avani is DvR 18. :)

Elton.

RaspK_FOG
06-18-2007, 06:37 PM
I would like us to emphasize a little on 3 matters: first, the Native subtype (if you keep it, move it in a parenthesis, though I suggest you do ommit it); secondly, the DR; and, finally, any special powers (attacks/qualities/etc.).

geeman
06-18-2007, 07:45 PM
At 08:11 AM 6/16/2007, kgauck wrote:

>Gods would have to be the ultimate insiders.

Excuse me if I pun on at the mouth....

Interestingly enough (to me) gods come in two major flavors; ones
that embody abstract human ideas, like Haeyln whose portfolio
includes things like law, justice and chivalry and those who embody
things having to do with the nature or natural environment like the
sea, fire and weather.

I`ve always thought it would be nice if such a distinction were
portrayed somehow game mechanically. That is, a god who embodies a
human ideal/concept might be more influenced and/or derive more
"mana" from the actual worship of humans. Haelyn is more likely to
respond to the prayers of knights before battle, and the god himself
derives more "godly power" from the existence of temples. Erik, on
the other hand, as a nature god wants unspoiled natural land, hence
the lack of development in the Rjurik Highlands.

Gary

RaspK_FOG
06-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Types are not meant to reflect that. A myriad other things do just that.