PDA

View Full Version : Category:Domain:Roesone

kgauck
06-08-2007, 08:58 PM
Discussion thread for Category:Domain:Roesone (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Category:Domain:Roesone). If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

http://home.mchsi.com/~gauck/Roesone2.bmp

http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/images/6/68/Roesone.png

The PS of Roesone at various places presents both versions. Which is the prefered arms of Roesone.

All the little arms on the PS cover appear as provinces. Clicking the link to Category: Domain: Roesone will show the provinces, so all of that imagery is employed.

ryancaveney
06-08-2007, 09:06 PM
So Duerlin is Sweden, eh?

kgauck
06-08-2007, 09:48 PM
The arms of Sweden is Azure, three crowns Or.

If I recall, Vernon is Azure a cross Or.

Elton Robb
06-08-2007, 10:44 PM
How about:

A lady's diamond shield instead of the kite shield?

ryancaveney
06-08-2007, 11:33 PM
The arms of Sweden is Azure, three crowns Or.

I was referring to its modern flag, not its arms (which I didn't know, but thank you)...

kgauck
06-08-2007, 11:41 PM
How about:

A lady's diamond shield instead of the kite shield?

That would be suitable for the Baroness' personal arms, whatever they might be, but the realm of Roesone would always be the shield.

Elton Robb
06-09-2007, 12:27 AM
Usually, she'll impale her arms on her husband's. Whoever that might be.

Sorontar
06-11-2007, 04:57 AM
To quote what I said on http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Image_talk:Roesone2.png

I haven't read the PS of Roesone but I would presume that the large arms in the top righthand corner are the personal arms of the baron/baroness, since 1) they are larger than all others and 2) the regent should be the only one who is allowed to place black hearts (a heraldic pun on hart=stag) on their arms in the realm, except under exceptional circumstances (e.g. showing allegiance to the crown with their approval).

Hmm... this image_talk might actually go into the wiki, not the forum. I'll try it just to make sure.

Yes, normally Ladies might use lozenges rather than shields and use their Lord's arms impaled on their father's as their own arms, but if you are regent I suspect you are the one who can set the rules. Especially if there isn't a College of Arms across Anuire/Cerilia, just heraldic traditions from the empire.

Why not make the full black stag the arms and the couped stag as the symbol/informal insignia for use among the populace/armies?

- Sorontar

Thelandrin
06-12-2007, 08:36 AM
Simpler arms are always better, particularly for heraldic arrangements. The ornamental, full-colour shield could be her personal arms or for special occasions etc.

AndrewTall
06-12-2007, 09:03 PM
I like the black hart in the 'fancy' shield more than the eerie one on the yellow shield.

Perhaps the colours could be the hart standing on all fours facing out (like on the fancy shield) but with a monotone background.

The 'simple' one just has the tongue sticking out and that gaping eye... it follows me around the room and suggests madness...

ryancaveney
06-12-2007, 10:24 PM
The 'simple' one just has the tongue sticking out and that gaping eye... it follows me around the room and suggests madness...

I agree it's distinctly eerie, but it's the one Marlae's wearing on her surcoat in Ruins of Empire. I'll just fill in the eye and be happy with my vote for it.

Ryan

kgauck
06-13-2007, 12:49 AM
When I responded to the 60% perponderance for Or, a Hart Sable, I renamed that image Roesone.png, and then renamed the PS image Roesone2.png and they switched in the pictures of the poll.

I'd already gone with Sorontar's suggestion.

Why not make the full black stag the arms and the couped stag as the symbol/informal insignia for use among the populace/armies?
Indeed the use of the couped image does appear to be worn more like a badge than a display of arms.

Now it looks like the last three comments have refered to the accidental apperance of the PS arms as one of the poll questions. Opps.

Thelandrin
06-13-2007, 03:36 PM
Definitely the leaping hart. The erased head just looks eerie and a little maddened.

Mike_Dowd
06-18-2007, 03:14 AM
One point I need to make -- the hart used in the second example is not in a default posture of 'statant', but is instead 'trippant', and probably should be blazoned as such....

kgauck
06-18-2007, 03:34 AM
the blazon has been adjusted

Sorontar
06-18-2007, 04:38 AM
To quote Encyclopaedia Romana (http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/britannia/anglo-saxon/flowers/blazon.html) :

the attitude of the lion is classified first by the attitude of the body, the position of the head, and then by the position of the tail (the queue), for example: salient, springing, with both hind paws on the ground; passant, walking, the right forepaw raised, with its head in profile (a stag or hart is said to be trippant); statant, all four paws on the ground; sejant, sitting (in various attitudes); couchant, crouching (a stag or hart is lodged); dormant, crouching but with the head lowered. All these attitudes (except the last) are further refined by the position of the head (guardant, facing the spectator, in which case the lion was termed a leopard, or reguardant, looking backwards), and tail (which, if not erect, is extended, coward, or nowed, knotted). A beast also can be said to be courant, running, and issuant, rising

I believe that will mean that the leaping hart is a salient stag. The trippant stag is the one on the cumboursome multi-shielded image. A good check is Google Images for "trippant stag" versus "salient stag".

Sorontar, a wannabe herald.

kgauck
06-18-2007, 04:47 AM
and re-adjusted

Mike_Dowd
06-19-2007, 04:14 AM
To quote Encyclopaedia Romana (http://penelope.uchicago.edu/~grout/encyclopaedia_romana/britannia/anglo-saxon/flowers/blazon.html) :

I believe that will mean that the leaping hart is a salient stag. The trippant stag is the one on the cumboursome multi-shielded image. A good check is Google Images for "trippant stag" versus "salient stag".

Sorontar, a wannabe herald.

My bad -- it's been a while since I'd done serious blazon... 'Salient' it is, sometimes referred to as 'springing'.