PDA

View Full Version : Elven names

Thelandrin
04-29-2007, 11:53 AM
Discussion thread for Elven names (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Elven names). If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Thelandrin
04-29-2007, 11:55 AM
I've added the Elven names from the card insert. Could someone who is actually knows Irish fill in the other pronounciations? I can guess at a few that weren't included, but I'd rather not write it in and be found to be wrong!

Arjan
04-29-2007, 11:55 AM
Discussion thread for Elven names (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Elven names). If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

elven names are already listed on the elven page Elves, Cerilian http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Elves%2C_Cerilian as are dwarven, http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Dwarves%2C_Cerilian#Names

Thelandrin
04-29-2007, 12:50 PM
Well, if you want to merge them, go ahead. My question was about the pronounciation guides, which the main Elven article doesn't include.

Caelcormac
01-09-2010, 04:51 AM
Has this already been done?

I wouldn't mind helping with Irish pronunciation.

Rey
01-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm sorry if I'm wrong, but the Elven names to me sounded more Welsh than Irish.

AndrewTall
01-09-2010, 04:01 PM
There are plenty of elves, and they have had a long time to gain accents - so welsh or irish should both be good, and a pronunciation guide would be great for people like me who don't know the difference)

Rey
01-09-2010, 05:35 PM
Yes, I have totally forgotten about, for example, Allanalaigh. That could pass as Irish.

Caelcormac
01-09-2010, 07:59 PM
I could gladly help with Welsh as well...though Irish is easiest for me.

Both are of the same root language; with Welsh being a bit more difficult to pronounce at times (for me at least).

I could instead simply take a list given me, and then simply make a pronunciation guide for both.

If someone emails me the list, I'll hammer it out and then email it back to be posted. I'm fine using email; but most other computer things (like the Wiki stuff) is not something I'm practiced in at all.

Thelandrin
01-10-2010, 02:09 AM
Or you could just click the link in my first post in this thread :)

Male
Áedán, Áed, Ailbhe, Ailill, Ailín, Aingael, Aislin, Aithne, Allanleigh (al-LAN-lay), Ardghal, Barreight, Biorach, Bláthnat, Brígh, Brónach, Bruibevann, Braedonnal, Byrnwbhie (BUR-noo-vee), Cadgwogawn, Caelcormac, Caellach, Cairbre, Calraath, Caoilfhionn, Caoimhín, Caolán, Cathair, Cathál, Cathán, Cearbhall, Ceincorinn, Cian, Ciardha, Colmán, Conall, Conan, Conchobhar, Conláed, Conleth, Connal, Conrí, Conannelaght (koh-NAN-ne-lach), Corvwyn, Comhghán, Cormac, Cuán, Cuchulainn, Daegandal, Deaglán, Dáire, Daithí, Dálaigh, Damháin, Dara, Darochinn, Delwynndwn (del-WIN-doon), Derwyndal, Deoradháin, Devlyn, Donnachaidh, Donnabhain, Dubhghall (doy-al), Dubhghlas, Eachann, Eagandigh, Eamonnal, Eidirsceoil, Erghwen, Fiellnn, Finn, Fionnbharr, Gannelganwn (gan-nel-gan-NOON), Garradh, Glyngrean, Lachlan, Lynn, Merwyndin, Morgan, Niall (NYE-ull), Rhannoch, Rhuobhe (ROVE), Rhaal, Rhys, Riordan, Seabharinn (she-VAR-in), Siele, Sliebheinn (slay-VEEN), Talerdigh, Tuall.

Female
Ailien, Alliena, Ardenna, Ashleight, Audreeana, Breeana, Brigyte, Briona, Bronwyn, Caitlannagh (kate-LAN-nay), Camrynnyd, Caileight, Dannagh, Deirdre, Duana, Erinn, Fiona, Finnegwyn, Glynna, Gwenyth, Gwenneigr (gwen-NEER), Iyaell, Leeana, Llewellyn, Mawrmaval (MOOR-ma-val), Maeghan, Maebhe, Mhiellwynn, Niobhe, Nysneirdre (nis-NEER-drey), Rhiannon, Rhondal, Rhuann, Shielynn, Sinead (she-NAYD), Siobhan (sheh-VAWN), Tuanala.

Caelcormac
01-10-2010, 02:28 AM
Ahhh....at first blush this is obviously a combination of both Irish and Welsh names.

I'll take a crack at it and re-post it here to see what all think.

Gheal
01-10-2010, 01:02 PM
IIRC in Blood Enemies 2 more names are mentioned - female Gwyn(?) and male Nhoun. Both are companions of Rhuobhe. Nhoun (Nhoun the Elf or Nhoun the Butcher) is also target in one of the adventures in the PC game - he guards artifact ring.

AndrewTall
01-10-2010, 05:50 PM
If someone emails me the list, I'll hammer it out and then email it back to be posted. I'm fine using email; but most other computer things (like the Wiki stuff) is not something I'm practiced in at all.

The best thing to do with the wiki is to play with it, or to try a sandbox page as practice. A moderator can always rollback your changes if you make a mess of things - just let us know the name of the page.