PDA

View Full Version : Heraldry

kgauck
04-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Discussion thread for Heraldry (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/Heraldry). If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

kgauck
04-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Eagerly anticipating Jaleela's article on heraldry, but proceeding anyway on arms. I'm interested in keeping a variety of simple arms for each nation. Inspired by the striped pants on the cover of Havens, I've thought that striped arms might be a very Brecht thing to do. I'll be putting up arms in Danigau for the provinces.

Jaleela
04-28-2007, 02:18 AM
Working on it. :o Taking a little longer than I thought.

The Swordgaunt
04-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Personally, I've found inspiration for Brecht heraldry in the arms of the Hanseatic League and late medeival/reneisance Nothern Europe. There is so much else in common...

kgauck
04-28-2007, 03:15 PM
I went to that well as well, but so many crosses, and that wasn't gonna work. I was looking for some other very common types so everything didn't end up with a little too much personality. The stripes (barry, paly, bendy) serves that purpose nicely. See Caebstrech, Evershrüden, and Hoklep for examples in Danigau. Of course I also went for a boat, salmon, and other interesting arms too.

kgauck
05-02-2007, 08:04 PM
Basic patterns for Rjurik heraldry:
Gyronny, of eight and six along with the special examples of four, quarterly and per saltire. Generally no charges.
Paly seems to be good for a nautical situation, since it recalls the viking sails.
Lozengy, fusily, and fretty all reflect viking art.

prefered charges, generally on a solid field
adze, arrow, axe, spear,
bell, bucket, buckle, horn
bowen knot, wake knot
bear, boar, wolf, raven, ram

Thelandrin
05-02-2007, 09:44 PM
Personally, I've found inspiration for Brecht heraldry in the arms of the Hanseatic League and late medeival/reneisance Nothern Europe. There is so much else in common...
At the risk of sounding obvious, that is because the Brecht are based on the Hanseatic League and other European traders in the Mediaeval and Renaissance eras!