PDA

View Full Version : Noble (version by: KGauck)

Thelandrin
04-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Discussion thread for User:KGauck/Noble (http://www.birthright.net/brwiki/index.php/User:KGauck/Noble). If you would like to add a comment, click the Post Reply button.

Thelandrin
04-22-2007, 08:32 PM
Education: nobles get a bonus to Perform (Etiquette) and Knowledge (Nobility) checks +1 per class level.

As that reads, an intellectually average noble in his 40s who has spent the last couple of decades fighting and ruling (e.g: Noble 10th, 4 ranks, Int 10), has Knowledge (Nobility) of +14, whereas a learned sage, trained in courtly lore (e.g. Expert 6, 9 ranks, Int 16, Skill Focus), only has Knowledge (Nobility) of +15.

That sounds a little odd - perhaps there should be a cap on the level bonus?

Also, at the risk of sounding dull, where are most of those feats quoted in the Noble's bonus list?

kgauck
04-22-2007, 09:05 PM
The book Demagogues and Dynasties is the genesis of a lot of my Noble. I picked up other noble ideas from a variety of sources, but I often adopted the style and format from Demagogues and Dynasties. Even so there are some fundamental changes. Noble Action is a mechanic for giving Action Points, not Regency, but that's a straitforward adaptation.

Regarding Knowledge (Nobility). The Noble himself lives K(N) the things he might be expected to know is his counsin's name, the arms of his uncle, or that guy who used to work in his brother's chancelry and now serves the court in Halskapa. Nobles were generally very aware of the rather small and close knit world they lived in.

The learned sage knows none of this first hand, hears none of this at table with fellows, and does not have to make a trip to visit his dear aunt to insure her lands are still his to inherit this autumn. It all must be learned.

If the skill were Profession (Noble) - and I cannot see this having much difference in how the skill worked, other than using Wis as the core attribute - would it not make as much sense?

Thelandrin
04-22-2007, 11:01 PM
I suppose, when you put it that way, it does make sense. However, I'd want to ensure that the Noble only gets that large bonus when it's related to something he is likely to know. His second cousin's brother-in-law by his second marriage is one thing, but I don't want said Noble recalling the exploits of the Tuarhieviel Royal Court in great detail. especially if the Noble in question ain't Sidhelien! :)