PDA

View Full Version : Language of Wiki

Thelandrin
04-22-2007, 04:19 PM
Is it the absolute decision that the Wiki must be in American English or is it allowed to vary depending on the editor?

I ask, if only because "Plots and Rumours" (amongst others) will gain or lose a U accordingly.

AndrewTall
04-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Sadly it's all supposed to be all US English - my poor spell checker will never be the same again, at least mozilla firefox auto spell-checks wiki docs into US English...

Thelandrin
04-22-2007, 08:35 PM
Well, without trying to sound arrogant, I only hope that if someone goes through my work and "Americanises" it, they're just as good a speller as I am. We wouldn't want a Dan Quayle on our hands! :)

AndrewTall
04-22-2007, 08:41 PM
If you write in word you can get the spellchecker to check in American - it will pick up most of the words - that's what I do on big posts.

geeman
04-23-2007, 06:54 AM
At 01:35 PM 4/22/2007, Thelandrin wrote:

>Well, without trying to sound arrogant, I only hope that if someone
>goes through my work and "Americanises" it, they`re just as good a
>speller as I am. We wouldn`t want a Dan Quayle on our hands! :)

I`d favor British spelling... and American grammar. Armour just
strikes me as being more pleasant on the eye and a quasi-in-character
sort of spelling to me, but grammatically there is "the sort of
English up with which I will not put" to quote Mr. Churchill.

Gary

Thelandrin
04-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Ah. The great Sir Winston Churchill - when sparring verbally with Lady Nancy Astor (the woman to sit in the House of Commons), she said, "Sir, if you were my husband, I'd put poison in your tea," to which he replied, "Madam, if I were your husband, I'd drink it!"

I for one would continue to write Oedipus (and pronounce it "Eed-ipus"), even if I was in America, since that is the Anglicised-Greek way of doing it. Then again, "ax" and "eon" just to name two look so short and bereft of vowels!