PDA

View Full Version : Dwarves, Cerilian

Green Knight
03-02-2002, 11:03 AM
Update v2

Moved the description to the Writer's Guild.

This is how I portray dwarves IMC. Note that much of the text has been complied from various BR sources, as well as the PHB.

Lord Eldred
03-03-2002, 02:29 PM
Just a question, why did you choose to post this here rather than in the Writer's guild. There is still an option for comments to be made about it and you still have the ability to edit. It just seems more appropriate to put it there!

Green Knight
03-03-2002, 08:37 PM
Didn't know about the edit option. Wanted some feedback before I added it to the Guild. Now I know better :)

Perhelion
03-04-2002, 01:22 AM
I like your summary. I'm not sure I like the idea of Dwarven wizards being so common (let alone possible). Pity you took the beard from the women. My friend Thidrin always admired a well-trimmed beard. (In my view the dwarves (male) wear their beards long and braided, the dwarves (female) wear well-trimmed beards)
Perhaps the 'greed' disadvantage (mainly a RP issue) could be chosen from a list like:
-Greed
-Stubborness to extremes (no-one tosses a dwarf!)
-Extreme sense of honour (no lying, thieving, defaulting on given word)
-No sense of humour, prickly temper
- ... (others possible)
Just a few ideas, to give more diversity to the dwarves.

Green Knight
03-04-2002, 08:29 PM
Thank's for your input. Cerilian dwarves aren't the bearded fellows from other worlds. They keep it trimmed down - very undwarvenlike :)

I really liked yor suggestions about the greed flaw. I think I'll stick with greed as the most common flaw, but some dwarves have other flaws. Very good.

As for wizards and magicians; that's just the way I like 'em. Not much to support the idea of arcane dwarves in the BR books, so many might like to scale this back a bit...

Others might think the +2 str, +4 con a bit to much. A conservatie DM could cu this to +2 con only, but remove the level adjustment.

Perhelion
03-05-2002, 02:44 AM
I'm also not sure that -2 dex is really appropriate... Dwarves are always tought of as skilled with their hands. It is a pity that 3rd Ed. makes no distinction between footwork/balance and hand-eye coordination (like the 2e Skills and Powers). There it was easy to assign a penalty.

Green Knight
03-05-2002, 10:48 AM
I agree, but I'm not sure its worth the effort to change the system to reflect the various components of dexterity. You could have:
- Agility
- Coordination
- Reflexes
and probably a few more...

Dwarves do get a bonus to craft checks, so I think I'll let that reflect that they are good with their hands. Not a fully satisfying solution perhaps, but an easy one.

Chioran
03-05-2002, 01:31 PM
Orginally posted by Green Knight

I agree, but I'm not sure its worth the effort to change the system to reflect the various components of dexterity. You could have:
- Agility
- Coordination
- Reflexes
and probably a few more...

Dwarves do get a bonus to craft checks, so I think I'll let that reflect that they are good with their hands. Not a fully satisfying solution perhaps, but an easy one.

I think it would be worthwhile to incorporate the ones that don't yet exist, as skills. Not alot of effort there.

Lawgiver
03-15-2002, 04:53 PM
Orginally posted by Perhelion
It is a pity that 3rd Ed. makes no distinction between footwork/balance and hand-eye coordination (like the 2e Skills and Powers). There it was easy to assign a penalty.

I agree. That was one of my cheif disappointments with the 3e system. To sum up a persons attributes in six scores is a bit to general for my blood.

Green Knight
03-15-2002, 08:58 PM
It shouldn't be too difficult to split them up.

I remember when I actually managed to split up the 10 Rolemaster stats into 15...Could do it again I suppose ;)

Arch-Sorcerer Gargamel
03-16-2002, 12:00 AM
More ability scores? Awesome.

Here is my summation:

Strength (Physical power)
Stamina (Maintenance of power)
Durability (General toughness)
Health (Disease resistance and energy)
Agility (Balance and mobility)
Dexterity (Coordination)
Intelligence (Knowledge and memory)
Reason (Ability to learn and process information)
Wisdom (Applying personal experience and common sense)
Charisma (Ability to be lead others)
Comeliness (Your looks and physical beauty)

Other possible scores:

Style (How well your personal expression appeals to others)
Honor (Strength of the honor code you follow)
Magic (Natural magical affinity)
Piety (Strength of religious conviction)
Spirit (Connection to the supernatural world)
Reputation (How well people know your name)

I could probably create more, but why? They won't ever be used anyway.

Baragos
03-18-2002, 12:55 PM
I would just go for the ones in Skills and Powers. However it would take some work, as you need to find out which skills are based on sub-stat A and which are based on sub-stat B. But it would definitely give more variance to characters. I would probably not do it for most monsters, as it would be very hard work. Instead I would assume that most monsters with x in the main score would also have x in the two sub-stats.

Baragos