PDA

View Full Version : Magical Sword

Magian
11-19-2001, 01:55 AM
I am debating on Boeruine's sword named Kingsbane to have the quality of a tighmaevril weapon. In truth I think it balances the forces of opposition between Avan and Boeruine. Being 12th level Boeruine can become a grand master with his bastard sword, thus making direct combat with him deadly and would explain the encounter he had with Rhoubhe from the Ruins of Empire book.

This does give him an edge over Avan and many DMs would think it is too much so I am wondering what would you do as a DM to counter this.

I am not say that his sword is tighmaevril just that its enchantment gives it the effects of this type of weapon.

Lord Eldred
11-19-2001, 03:00 AM
Unless you make the weapon truly tighmaevril (and there is no evidence anywhere that actually was) I am not sure how your enchantments make it similar. Bloodsilver allows the killer of a scion or regent to gain one-half the victims bloodline strength to his own bloodline and sever the tie between land and king. What enchantments would match it? Even an enchantment that improves the wielders ability to pierce through the heart would only help with normal bloodtheft. I know of no enchantments that would mimic the abilities of tighmaevril and I would have a problem with it. There were only a dozen tighmaevril weapons ever made, allowing someone to cast enchantments that mimic these powerful weapons would set any campaign off balance. If Boeruine can have a sword like that then anyone with a wizard friend can to. However, if you wanted to make Boeruine's sword one of the dozen then I couldn't argue as much!

sivar
11-20-2001, 02:18 PM
Why not let him have a thightmaril weapon. There are a dozen in the world and it is alright to let a human have one.

The gorgon has reputaded 6.

Have ya any thought where are the others?

Magian
11-21-2001, 02:32 AM
What actually gave me the idea in the first place for this was Grimm Greybeards battleaxe Orogbane which acts like a tighmaevril weapon.

From this I took it further with Kingsbane. I would of course only allow this for landed regents. I think it would be a fair limitation and also fit his character as a very explosive and dangerous opponent.

As far as the enchantments required I could not say as I haven't gotten into that. Actually I would make it very expensive to create but this sounds like you are refering to the 3E rules and my P&P campaign is not using them. I do not allow my wizards to come up with tones of magical items like the effemenant Forgotten Realms Setting where they abound like blades of grass. I would also make this sword unique and not repeatable, well not easily.

Magian
11-21-2001, 02:34 AM
Oh one more thing, if I do know how to spell tighmaevril without the book I think you can give me the credit to know what it does so you don't have to explain it to me as if I am only seeing it for the first time.

Lord Eldred
11-22-2001, 01:52 AM
Given the world you have created it makes sense. It just wouldn't work when you are using 3e rules because there would be to many of these types of weapons unbalancing the game. I think then for your world having it be like a tighmaevril weapon would be ok.

Chioran
11-24-2001, 03:56 PM
Lord Eldred,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to explain what a tighmaevril weapon was about. I personally was unfamiliar and appreciate the background information.

Lord Shaene
11-24-2001, 10:29 PM
Lord Eldred,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to explain what a tighmaevril weapon was about. I personally was unfamiliar and appreciate the background information.

Please!!!!!!
Lord Shaene puts on his boots, "Chioron, heres a wash cloth, you got something brown sticking to your nose"

Lord Eldred
11-25-2001, 04:12 AM
I don't need to hear it from either of you.

As far as the reference to what Magian was saying, Magian how would I know you were spelling the word without looking in the book. Also perhaps you forgot what you had read awhile back. My point was the rulebook had made a ruling on the subject we were talking about! In addition, you are not the only one reading these posts and I think what Chioran was trying to point out is that there may be people out there that appreciated the description!

All in all Magian I was not trying to offend you, I was merely trying to have an educated discussion.

Chioran
11-25-2001, 03:43 PM
Orginally posted by Lord Shaene

Lord Eldred,

Please!!!!!!
Lord Shaene puts on his boots, "Chioron, heres a wash cloth, you got something brown sticking to your nose"

You should talk Shaene. Sometimes I wonder if that nose of yours is permanently stained.

Leland
11-26-2001, 01:36 AM
Ya know... a while back in a Forum I made up a new feat and some people, discussed their opinion of it. I got defensive and kind of flew off the handle a little. If people are actually writing in this forum, knowledge of Birthright is indisputable. So lets please not let tempers flare when someone is giving his/her opinion of your ideas. Just because someone believes differently than you doesn't mean he/she is trying to denegrate your ideas or call you stupid. In other words as I learned, try not to take it too personally.

Leland

Magian
11-26-2001, 06:10 AM
Actually I was just trying to let Lord Eldred know my understanding of the game since we seem not to know one another very well and his posts did seem to overstate the obvious, however I understand that others can benefit from the lack of assuming anothers level of knowledge in a subject is equal to their own.

No offense taken or meant by me at all.

Lord Eldred
11-27-2001, 01:14 AM
See Leland, you are not the only one I had managed to get that response from...must be in my manner of typing ;)

Just so Magian knows, Chioran and Shaene play in my group. They always joke around with each other like that but I didn't want it to take away from the fact that I didn't intend to offend you. Some of what I was saying is I don't understand how it would work...please explain it to me. You did, I appreciate that! It was also helpful to know that you follow 2e and not 3e. I think it makes a difference.

Now back to the give and take...before I indicated I didn't know of any enchantments that would mimic the effects of tighmaevril weapons...should there be such enchantment spells? Or similar magic? For example a drain bloodline spell?

Magian
11-27-2001, 05:44 PM
Well once you mentioned it I started thinking about this and all I could come up with is that this type of item should not be allowed to be created like a potion, scroll, or ring of protection as common place items.

Perhaps if there is a rite or enchantment that can be found I would require the heart of a dragon, something hard to get and very limited in supply in order to make the enchantment.

Otherwise I would simply say the item is unique and cannot be duplicated in effect. Some effect of Deismaar or something like that, a circumstance that cannot be duplicated that caused the effect.

Those are my thoughts because like you said if any old wiz down the block can create these things what is the point of tighmaevril in the first place.

Lord Eldred
11-29-2001, 01:08 AM
Since the items you speak of were made long ago...the means of making them have been lost since their creation. Hence they are not able to be duplicated.

Magian
11-29-2001, 03:53 AM
Well actually I was refering to the Orogbane and Kingsbane acting like tighmaevril weapons with certain specialty not the bloodsilver weapons themselves. The tighmaevril are what you are refering to in this last post right?

Lawgiver
12-05-2001, 06:27 AM
I agree with Lord Eldred.

The fact that Boeruine's sword would be made of tighmaevril (spelled it all by myself too!) would be of no consequence. IT doesn't enhance his fighting ability.

I think its bites that there are only 12 of these weapons in existence. Much less that the Gorgon has 6 of them. In the grand scheme of things the other continents of Cerilia are pretty much out of the running to ever see or hear or such weapons. I have never really made it an issue, but I've never been fond of it.

Another alternative to the whole tighmaevril thing would be to change the bloodtheft rules. two alternatives I just thought of:
1. If the attacker rolls a natural 20 (unless thats the only thing they can roll to successfully hit...) allow the attacker to collect the bloodl points as if they used a tighmaevril weapon.
2. Give them +1 bloodpoint above the 1per5 for each point the exceed the To-Hit roll needed, up to half the slain opponents bloodline. (i.e. You need a 12 or higher and roll an 18 you get an additional 6 bloodpoints above the norm.)

Just a quick thought.

Temujin
12-06-2001, 03:04 PM
I've thought of down-sizing tighmaevril weapons as well, since I figure the figure would have a high enough bloodline to be a god right now if the tighmaevril weapons were as powerful and he managed to kill as much as 1 scion per generation or so, which isn't a lot really. I'm thinking to give tighmaevril weapons the power to drain 1/5th of a scion's bloodline through bloodtheft, 1/2 when the scion hit is the last of his line. Any thoughts?

Lord Eldred
12-07-2001, 01:56 AM
Orginally posted by Magian

Well actually I was refering to the Orogbane and Kingsbane acting like tighmaevril weapons with certain specialty not the bloodsilver weapons themselves. The tighmaevril are what you are refering to in this last post right?

No I am saying weapons like Orogbane and Kingsbane if you are going to make them act like tighmaevril weapons and want to prevent players arguing that they too can create such an item then, you can say that the method of making these items has been lost over the years.

Magian
12-09-2001, 05:53 AM
Yeah I agree with this as I did suggest earlier as this does keep the game balance. I was giving out ideas for the person who asked about what enchantments would be required to make them. My opinion such items should be like trying to get lead transmuted into gold (alchemy).

Lord Eldred
12-12-2001, 12:31 AM
Hey Magian that person was me I think ;)

Magian
12-12-2001, 06:54 AM
Yeah, so there.

Lawgiver
12-12-2001, 01:16 PM
Am I going to have to buy another round of ale?

Lord Eldred
12-13-2001, 01:47 AM
Well, now that you mentioned it...Magian does look thirsty and I would hate to let him drink alone :P

Magian
12-13-2001, 05:13 PM
fooy...dehydration comes with the territory I can handle it.

Lord Eldred
12-13-2001, 06:57 PM
Well then, I will drink his too!

Lawgiver
12-14-2001, 02:43 AM
Barkeep! Another round please! No no.. just two ales... and a water for me.

Xander
12-16-2001, 05:34 AM
Make that 2 waters
;)

Lord Eldred
12-28-2001, 03:21 AM
What's a matter fellas? Can't hold your ale? (said in a tone not to offend anyone :) )

Lawgiver
12-28-2001, 04:28 AM
I can hold the mug just fine. Its just that I prefer to keep my wits about me--Both of them.

Lord Eldred
12-28-2001, 04:32 AM
I keep my wits about me just fine when I drink {Just then he falls off his bar stool but lands on both feet} See I did just fine there!

Lawgiver
12-28-2001, 04:57 AM
And to think... you've only had two. [shaking his head in disbelief]

Lord Eldred
01-01-2002, 06:38 PM
Hey now they were two large half-pints!

Lawgiver
01-01-2002, 07:18 PM
Who said anything about halflings? [hehe...] You sure you're feeling okay Eldred...

Lord Eldred
01-01-2002, 08:24 PM
Wuit turning arund my werds, Lawwanter, I just said they were large mugs!

Lord Shaene
01-14-2002, 01:10 PM
Lord Eldred are you alright? I've seen you drink many of times and 2 half-pints would never even give you the slightest problem, I think we best get you to a herbalist for some sort of anti-dote, I think your ale has been spiked with something, hopefully nothing poisonous,

(shaene leans over and whispers in to lord Eldred, I dont know if we can trust this lawgiver fellow, I find it odd that he ordered water to drink and mention something about keeping his wits about him, I think he is the one who spiked your ale )

Now lets get you out of here!

Lawgiver
01-14-2002, 01:20 PM
Where is that brownie fellow? Perhaps your threatening him led him to such a cowardly act.

blitzmacher
01-14-2002, 11:56 PM
Lawgiver, one must not make accusations unless one has proof, even if the one being accused is looking for trouble.

brownie
01-15-2002, 11:59 PM
I am here. You just dont see me. Maybe then you should look alittle more. Maybe you should watch your toungue or your drink. I would hate it if someone slipped some deadly poison in your drink.

blitzmacher
01-16-2002, 12:32 AM
Brownie, I would watch your tongue if I were you, speaking of poisons is a dangerous game and I would hate it if someone slipped a deadly broadsword in your ribcage.

Lord Eldred
01-16-2002, 03:02 AM
Hows abouts a deadlier longs sword? ::Holds up his short sword and then Whispers to Shaene, I am alright, just playing with these guys::

Lawgiver
01-18-2002, 05:16 AM
Orginally posted by Lord Eldred
Hows abouts a deadlier longs sword? ::Holds up his short sword and then Whispers to Shaene, I am alright, just playing with these guys::
Psst.. Eldred other hand...
Its 3 to 1 brownie. You feeling lucky?

blitzmacher
01-18-2002, 10:38 PM
Lawgiver, he won't feel anything, he'll be dead!

Xerath
01-25-2002, 12:58 AM
All this talk of sword play in the College of Sorcery... SACRILEGE.

blitzmacher
01-25-2002, 11:33 PM
SACRILEGE. What about all the drinking, I don't care much for drunk wizards.

Xerath
01-30-2002, 01:06 AM
But history is FULL of example of drunk wizards.... where do you think zebras came from????

blitzmacher
01-30-2002, 01:24 AM
A drunk wizard did that?

Xerath
01-31-2002, 11:55 PM
Well, uhh... ummm..... never mind - forget I said anything.

Lord Eldred
02-11-2002, 09:47 PM
It seems that Brownie ran away when all of this mention of swords, drunks and zebras came up. WOO HOO!

Lawgiver
02-12-2002, 12:26 AM
It seems that Brownie ran away when all of this mention of swords, drunks and zebras came up. WOO HOO!

I second the notion...(err, did I say that outloud?)

Lord Eldred
02-18-2002, 07:06 PM
A toast Lawgiver to Brownies demise! ::holds up his pint::

Lawgiver
02-19-2002, 01:57 AM
A toast Lawgiver to Brownies demise! ::holds up his pint::

Proverbs 24:17
Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do not let your heart rejoice

Lord Eldred
02-19-2002, 08:05 PM
For one I never considered him an enemy just an annoying pest. However, if you wish let us drink to an improved attitude for Brownie!

Lawgiver
02-22-2002, 04:12 AM
For one I never considered him an enemy just an annoying pest. However, if you wish let us drink to an improved attitude for Brownie!

To the improved demeanor of Brownie! [raises his glass of water]

Lord Eldred
02-22-2002, 10:25 PM
::Drinks is pint down:: Bartender another one for me and my friend here. And while you are at it pour a half pint in memory of Brownie and drink it yourself!