PDA

View Full Version : Regent Personalities & Behaviours

morgramen
11-17-2001, 10:49 PM
What are the personalities of the big players like in your game? Is Avan a fearless, noble, and truthful paladin type? Is Boeruine a fatalisitc schemeing underdog?

What about the Gorgon? How active is he in your world? Does he send out his agents to thwart the realms of man, or does he lock himself away behind his granite gates?

PErsonally, I tend to enjoy the idea that Avan isn't the next best thing since sliced bread. In my mind, he has an exceptional public relations staff. His reputation is flowered by half truths and exagerations, while Boeruine tends to get the shaft in the history books.

Boeruine is a fatalist and a traditionalist. A man of ancient, unwielding honour and conviction. He is a man out of his time - a man who should have lived in the height of the Empire's power. Now his schemes fail most often because he cannot come to play the 'new' Game of Thrones. Boeruine tries to do it the old way, while Avan plays the new age politics.

Alam is basically Han Solo on crack. A rogue, scoundrel and opportunist, but one who is quick of whit and exceptionally lucky. His schemes frequently seem to pay off just because of sheer luck - not because he had planned them well. He is always looking for the quick pay off as well, and cannot seem to think far enough ahead to really be a big player in the game.

Roesone is noble and honourable, but not above underhanded or double dealing politics. I very much see this realm as that portrayed in the movie "Elisabeth". Strong in faith, family, and honour, Marlae is a strong woman - extremely proud of her line, and deathly serious about her responsabilities to the realm. She supports Avan for the Throne (but not very loudly) but is not afraid to speak against him. In fact, (if you will pardon the expression) it is often said that Marlae has balls of brass which would make even the Baron GHoere envious. Marlae gets things done, and is not afraid to bloody a few noses along the way.

I'd tell you about my concept for the lovely Robber Duke and Usurper of Osoerde, but I don't want to blow the surprises for any of those in my PBeM. :P

Any way, enough of my blathering... what about you??

Lord Eldred
11-18-2001, 05:57 PM
Avan, Boeruine, Alam, and the Gorgon don't play much of role in our campaign as of yet. The Spider is much more likely to cause the mischief and has on more than one occassion.

Roesone, now that is interesting. Marlae was given low doses of a potion that would make her go insane over a period of time. She currently is living in an insane aslyum while her former country has been taken over by a ruling council and retitled the United Provinces of Haelyn.

The leaders of Ilien, Medoere and Osoerde are all dead. Either killed in war or suffered at the hands of an evil scheme. Those countries are all now part of the United Provinces. The Queen of Arenwe has some influence over members of the ruling council and has been able to keep the United Provinces from over running her country. The local dwarves have also made an alliance and actually have a non-voting member on council.

I am the High Counciler of the United Provinces and would be happy to answer any specific questions that you have!

Magian
11-19-2001, 01:47 AM
Morg,

Your interpretation of Boeruine is very similar to mine actually. I play him out as a knight of ancient values. There is a website I made for him in a game I played but I think you have seen it already. I think of his hot headedness comes from his frustrations of the fact that no one else sees the double dealings Avan does. Of course Boeruine deals in the shade from time to time but he does keep his word and honor however. My vision of Boeruine is more like that of Clovis who will someday crush the nobles around him uniting them under one strong rule. Then of course that would only happen if he had a tighmaevril sword, "kingsbane" maybe?

Avan to me is nothing more than a ceasar-like backstabber. His philosophy is loyalty to Avan first then to Anuire. Of course himself being Avan not just his family line. He is also very good at statemanship and cunning persuasion.

One on one I think Boeruine would beat Avan in a war. Sure Avan has vassals but they are not all directly under his control and almost half of them are not trust worthy. He is spread too thin and any wizards under his cause are too weak to be of much value in an initial campaign.

Alamie to me is like Germany, an ever constant struggle for dominance and I think Avan likes it this way.

Ghoere to me is like Russia, mostly in size and placing, of course a little out of time.

Diemed I think is like the Byzantine empire with the Greek Orthodox supporting him, trying to gain his lands back after he builds up fully.

I think Avanil is destined to end up like italy with Wit vying for control of the lands there and perhaps Taeghas also end up as part of this struggle.

Brosengae to me will end up like Spain.

Well those are just some ideas I am planning for my own P&P campaign.

Oh yeah and the Aryian lead movement of Avani that will unite all of Khinasi. Spear point will be Elinie.

DerekAvan
11-19-2001, 08:49 PM
Well... in my campaign neither of them is worthy of the Crown of Anuire. They are both seeking the throne for personal reasons like 'I am the Emperor now this is the way it's gonna be...' According to what Caladie <sp> Dosiere, the Imperial Chaimberlan says that neither of them are fit to rule. And who would know better than the person who was taught by the ancestor of Aedan Dosiere, the Chaimberlan who last HAD an Emperor to advise, yanno? :P

In my oppinion some of the regents of the lesser provinces (Duchy's, etc...) are fit to rule... but they don't WAN'T all of that responsability. Even though Boeruine AND Avan have Roele blood in them, so do some of the others (though not many, and not everyone admits it...) And the fact of the matter, in my campain, is that only those of the blood and line of Roele are fit to rule the Empire. :)

Lord Eldred
11-20-2001, 01:39 AM
Dear Viscount,

If those with Roele blood were so strong, the throne would never have been lost. Blood is not what chooses who is fit to rule. It is Haelyn who chooses. And he will only choose someone dedicated to him...someone like me.

Lord Eldred
High Councilor
United Provinces of Haelyn

Temujin
11-20-2001, 07:34 AM
I see Boeruine kinda like a frustrated old-styled knight yes, a man of action, a great leader of men as well as an unmatched strategist. He favors action over court intrigues, but is not idiot and does not discount the importance of information that spies can bring to him - especially to unravel the plots of Avanil and to better plan his military campaigns. However, he despises what he considers a lack of honor, and would not 'lower himself' to use sabotage or underhanded dealings to extend his own influence or undermine his enemies. That is his main weakness: being too often guided by honor, as well as his emotions. He is much more militaristic than Avan would be, however he has not managed to overbear Avanil because he always feels that he needs to involve himself in wars - sometimes attempting to claim the Peaks, to fight off Rhuobhe, or simply reciprocate a favor rendered to him; such as defending a neighbor from an invasion for a past favor. And the time he spends using his forces in such causes is used by Avan to strenghten his influence over neighboring realms and to force them into vassalage. Boeruine is prone to fits at time, because his frustration of taking defeats from Avanil, and Avanil constantly maneuvering to benefit from Aeric's fighting has made him bitter, and the best way to provoke Boeruine is to make him feel slighted, whether the slight is imaginary or not. Lastly, Boeruine is a firm believers in the good that is brought by laws. As such, he is a firm adherent to the Imperial Law and constantly reacts to everyday events by creating or modifying the laws to suit the context.

As far as Avan is concerned, I see as a politician, like Caesar as was pointed out earlier. He's a clever schemer who has no qualm about forcing a realm into his fold, especially by using leverage on them - any kind of leverage. As such, he focusses his attention not on making good deeds or conquering his neighbors; rather, he spends his time extending his law holdings in the neighboring countries and his vassals to get a firm hold on their country and weakening their ruler. Pursueing this logic, he encourages the Western Imperial Temple and Prince's Pride to extend their own holdings there as well, to make that greater a part of the realm is directly loyal to him. As he does so, he will use intrigue, sabotage, assassinations as well as encourage(secretly or not-so secretly) the realm's neighbor to act hostilely toward them to gain better leverage on the regent and eventually force them into his folds. If all else fails, and the regent successfully resists his leverage or even manages to get back at him by removing a few of his loyal holdings, he will have no qualm to wage war on him and conquer the whole realm for himself. However, he does so as a last resort, as he would rather not have to lose units in a fight, especially knowing that Boeruine would love to have an opportunity to destroy him. When not maneuvering to better coerce his neighbors, he works instead to impress them. He likes to make shows of grandeur, and works to turn every event, no matter how insignificant, into a major Avanese victory. He repulses a minor raid from Rhuobhe? He will make it known as a major invasion. He will expend his palace and court to outmatch any in Anuire. If he gets one of his neighbor to tentatively accept to support him, he will make it sound as if that neighbor was just begging to fall under his rule, as if it were a great honor to serve him; etc... Consistant with this theory, he spends much of his time working his leverage on the Imperial City. If he can make the Chamberlain think of him as a great Emperor; or failing that, if he can use enough leverage so that the Chamberlain has no choice to do so, it may provide him with enough prestige to get enough of his neighbors to support him to actually have the power to take over the Empire.

The Chamberlain now, is an old and secretly idealistic man. He has little power, and is unlikely to ever crown an Emperor without the support of most of Anuire, and even then very likely to his great grief. In my opinion, too many people see him as a sage of great wisdom who would correctly point out the good Emperor in a crowd of less-than-fit regents. As I see it, he indeed is a font of wisdom, however, he is incredibly idealistic when it comes to his vision of the next Emperor. While many regents may be fit to various degree in the Empire, Caliedhe Dosiere does not think so. He despises Avanil because he sees him as the man he is: a man more ambitious than virtuous, and nothing but a self-agrandizing politician. He considers Boeruine unfit because he sees him as too conservative, and too involved in the feud with Avanil. If other candidates were brought forward, he is likely to focus on their weaknesses rather than their strenghts: The Mhor values freedom too much, and could not control his vassals, Diem is not enough open to foreign views and values, another has no ambition, another too much ambition, etc... In fact, I think the only person who could gain his support without reluctance would be someone out of nowhere, a young, brave man who would be of the Roele bloodline but has never been heard of and is reluctant to take the throne and would have the favor of Haelyn(such as a paladin). Caliedhe would be much more likely to find himself helping someone pretending to be such a person than someone who truly is(I don't really believe anyone on Cerilia could match that description), and even if he would find the correct person, it is likely that he would fall into the trap of being suddenly too careless, he who normally is too careful, and suddenly find the Imperial City besieged by an angry Prince of Avanil whose attempt to seize the throne has been thwarted.

sivar
11-20-2001, 11:59 AM
Well I have given this a lot of thought but I am not as advanced as all of ya.

Well the main reason is because I Dm mostly Rjurik. There I most of the Rjurik nations having a very weak rulers. That most of the countries will crumple and splinter into many smaller nations with time. And the White Witch will gain more power each time some land falls to squable. That picture I see when I read about the Rjurik Highlands.

But I have been Dm-ing Tournen for a while. The players are just normal men and have not involved themselfs yet in the matters of state. They have been in the militia and are now in the army.
I used the Toymaker in the players secret of Tournen and killed all of the nobleman´s childs. All of the nobles wanted revenge and blamed Rhoube (was it him? Only time will tell ;)
Now the Queen is enraged she wants revenge more than anything elsa and will stop at nothing to achieve that goal. So she gathered a huge army and are marching toward clearwater pass.

My opinions of the Rulers of Anurie are as follows
I find your description of Boeruine and Avan great, and will probably use them.
I see Ghoree as a major problem for all of the eastern states Eline, Osoerde, Arenwe, Roesone etc. He is a strong charachter that has enourmus belief in himself and his bloodline.
Mhoried is one of the greatest rulers of Anurie, he is good - probably like Maximus in the Movie gladiator. Free wiled, strong willed etc. But doesnt like to rule. His undoing will be his court wisard, probably.
Alamie is the worst kind. He sees everybody as a plaything around him, he is the center of world and those who see it not shall feel his wrath.

well... these are my pennies

Tirion
11-21-2001, 02:43 AM
In my campaign, Gavin Tael was the big bad guy. After he took over
Osoerde, all the others got so scared of him that they made a
defensive alliance... that didn't stop him, of course, what with his
good allies and all (can you say "Sword Mage"?) Well, he swept
Roesonne and was about to move on to Ilien when... surprise! The
Gorgon attacked. Mhoried is pretty much gone... Anyways, we shall see
what comes of this. As King of Coeranys, I'm having an easier time of
it than some other people (I just have to get that Jayson Raenech boy
outta Ruorven and reuinte Coeranys, then I'll be happy...) so I should
around a while longer and able to keep y'all up to date...

Magian
11-21-2001, 03:03 AM
Contrary to your campaigns Baron of Ghoere I plan to play mine conservatively and build up in state and bloodline while wars rage all around his realm. First in Alamie trying to retake its western half, then Boeruine vs Avanil, then Diemed and the southern coast, Osoerde vs Aerenwe trying to help William out, and Mhoried and Elinie aiding Tuornen vs Alamie. Of course that is just the beginning but I will have to see the out come of all this before I do anything else.

My main reasoning for building Ghoere up is that his bloodline needs to be bigger or his realm or at least part of it could be lost to foreign power. I am a firm believer in a balanced bloodline strength with domain power. Of course skill and luck can make up for this only for so long.

Bloodaxe
11-21-2001, 03:54 PM
;) Well in our campaign Avan is dead... He was not a paladinsish type at all, in fact he treated three of his provinces pretty baddly so they came too me. My ruler went in to claim them buit didn't stop there, I kept moving though his kingdom until all feel, then he fled of course so I had to hunt him down.. Now I shall form a new empire! In the name of Azrai! ;>

Boeruine hasn't played much part yet, but since I forced Taeghas too swear feality to me Boeruine is going to take a bigger role... ;>

The Gorgon has been quiet, one of the players plans too invade one of his puppet states however soo we'll see. ;>

Abbess Allessandra
11-22-2001, 01:49 AM
You should be careful what you say in his presence Lord Eldred.

Lord Eldred
11-22-2001, 01:57 AM
My Lady Allessandra, you have come out of hiding. Good for you! You are very right. I should not assume that the great Haelyn would choose me. I am only saying I am totally devoted to him.

Lord Eldred

Perhelion
11-22-2001, 09:26 PM
Temujin I like your description of the major players of the game. I think I could use these descriptions very easily in my campaign. Though I think Boeruine would be much hardr than what you describe. Ruthless. By your description he almost looks good. You Avan is very convincing as well.
I haven't given too much thought about these far away rulers yet as I am mostly concerned with internal politics in Elinie so far (sorry Ibn Daouta, you've been demoted to ruler of the province of Sendour ;) ). Tael is evil and scheming, militaristic but not bloodthirsty. Very much an adept of intimidation and subversion, like Avan but less seamlessly. Raenech is mad. Bloodthirsty, agressive, treacherous and soon to be Tael's first victim.
Well that's it for now.

blitzmacher
11-23-2001, 03:06 AM
I would like to thank everyone for posting these views, since both of the games I run have little contact with these rulers, the info provided here will help me run these regents when the time comes, since the one group will be running the sword and crown soon. Again I thank you!:)

Lawgiver
12-07-2001, 04:43 AM
Boeruine -- an older and experienced level headed general/drill seargant type who uses his military might and force rather than deep intrigue to succeed. Sort of like Longshanks in Braveheart

Avan -- a wily fellow who is involved in intrigue galour though he never tips his hand. He reminds me of Claudius (sp?) from Gladiator. he is too arrogant and prideful to admit defeat or that he could conceivably make a mistake.

Tael -- a purely ruthless ruler. He has his eyes on the throne, but is holding back in hopes that Boeruine and Avan will wipe each other out and he can step in after they have been weakened. He has instead focused on Alamie, Elinie, and Roesone. He smart enough to leave the Mhor alone for now. He'd rather not deal with teh northern border and
prefers to let the Mhor defend Anuire form the threat of the Gorgon's lackeys.

Assan ibn Daouta of Elinie -- a Muslim that acts like Azeem from Robin Hood, Prince of Theives. He does not via for the throne. "It is not Allah's will at this time." He is steadily building his province into quite an impressive sight though.
Osoerde -- he has played a pretty key role in the east. He a smaller more evil version of Tael. He doesn't care who he kills to get what he wants. Reminds me of the cardinal on the Three Muskeeters.

Diemed -- a crafty militaristic genius. He has his eyes on Medoere and will swallow it soon. Since he can't match Avan for the Imperial City he really wants Ilien for its economic and political significance. He often uses trickery or intrigue to throw his opponents off balance, and then pounces on them with his troops.

The Spider -- he's been far to quiet... too quiet indeed. He longs to crush Endier and reclaim it. For now no one knows what his plans are.

Rhoubhe -- he has stuck to border raids. He beat up on Boeruine's flanks when Aeric went for Talinie. Rumors abound that he has actually had a diplomatic meeting with the regent of Tournen.

The Gorgon -- I've held off on him thus far since my PCs wouldn't have a chance. Keirgard has begun to revolt and Mur-Kalid is on the verge so he's got his own problems right now. He is ignoring Tuarhievel since they are on the brink of civil war and will destroy themselves. The Sielwode hates humans and is a quasi-ally since they both oppose the other troops. He will likely invade Mhoried by the end of the game year to keep them in check during the height of the Sword and Crown while everyone is away from their realms...

Temujin
12-13-2001, 12:48 AM
Orginally posted by Lawgiver
Osoerde -- he has played a pretty key role in the east. He a smaller more evil version of Tael. He doesn't care who he kills to get what he wants. Reminds me of the cardinal on the Three Muskeeters.

Its funny you should say that, I actually had him portrayed as that black warrior who is the right hand of the Cardinal in that same movie =)

morgramen
12-13-2001, 12:57 AM
"Isn't that a sort of smelly cheese?"

:)

Very good villains those two.

Lawgiver
12-13-2001, 04:42 AM
did you say smelly? [looks side to side for the Magian...]

Lord Shaene
12-14-2001, 02:30 PM
Well I was going to post on my regent characters personality and behaviour but it might incriminate me, so i plead the fifth

Abbess Allessandra
12-14-2001, 03:31 PM
That is a very wise decision. Maybe you should comment on some of your dealings with other regents that you wouldn't get in trouble for.

Riegan Swordwraith
12-14-2001, 05:10 PM
If I may ask,what have you read that gives you these impressions of Boeruine and Avan??I read their write-up and of their countries in the Ruins of Empire and I get a much different image than anyone else here.

Lawgiver
12-15-2001, 06:30 AM
Imagination mostly... Why what's your take, Riegan?

Riegan Swordwraith
12-15-2001, 08:06 AM
Well,First off I see Avan as confident,self-assured,cocky,and arrogant.He is Lawful Neutral,which to me means that he will abide by any treaties he signs,or deals made.Now I feel that on something outside of the parameters of your treaty he will stiff you on,but otherwise trustworthy.Say what you will his people are backing him,and it seems more out of genuine adoration.

Boeruine is a mean,cruel,hostile,elitist snob.He too is Lawful Neutral which same goes for him as does Avan.However Boeruine is someone who beleives in turn-abouts fair play.You do him good he will repay you.His people back him too,but I get the sense of "That is what the Duke wants to hear..." from his people.

Comparing the two,Avan is much more likeable,and probably easier to be around with.Boeruine is more of the kind of man you want to have owing you a favor,and I beleive you could take him more at face-value than Avan.But I wouldn't trust neither as far as I can throw them.I feel that either one would give you the shaft,treaty or not,once all manners of honor and propriety have been met.

Arlen Blaede
01-27-2002, 03:27 PM
OK, I'm new to Birthright so bear with me.

Ya'll keep talking about the Sword and Crown like it's a major event on Cyrilia. Can somebody fill me in please.

blitzmacher
01-27-2002, 07:50 PM
Every five years, the rulers of Anuire's countries declare a one months peace. During this time, regents from all over Anuire converge on the kingdom, that was chosen at the last event to hold the event, to negotiate, make allies and enemies, and enjoy the company of their fellow rulers. The regent that holds the event is responsible for arbitrating peace throughout the lands of Anuire should andy kingdoms petition for the regent's judgment. Though he has no actual power over the Anuirean lands, the regents of other realms must, by Anuirean law, abide by his decision.
There is also an adventure book called Sword and Crown, which you can get from ebay, that takes place during the sword and crown, of course.

Arlen Blaede
01-28-2002, 04:17 PM
Sorta like a UN Council meeting. You can accomplish a lot, but none of it is actually enforced. 'Cepting of course that if you piss a lot of people off then you're gonna get turned into road kill.

Green Knight
02-18-2002, 12:34 PM
The conflict between Avanil and Boeruine has an important place in my Ruins of Empire PBEM campaign. Their struggle provides an interesting backdrop for the rest of the campaign.

Darien Avan (LE): The Prince of Avanil wants nothing more than to become Emperor of Anuire. He will do almost anything to accheive his goal. Thus the change in alignment from LN RoE.
Avan is charismatic, intelligent and quite skilled in the art of diplomacy and politics. He is also a man whom the common people likes, for he is dashing and generous when it suits him.
He is, however, also quite full of himself and that is his greatest weakness. Avan thinks he is the greatest gift the gods have granted Anuire. Realizing that he is the number one contender for the throne and the person with the greates bloodline in Anuire, has clouded his judgement. He simply cannot grasp that he has many enemies, noen of whom whould like to see him as Emperor.

Riegan Swordwraith
02-18-2002, 03:03 PM
Ya know....I can see shifting his alignment to LE.But then what does that make Boeruine??It says in his description he is petty,cruel,and an elitist snob.His people don't seem to love him but rather fear him.Boeruine is to me what Gavin Tael would be,except with a sense,barely at that,of honor.

Lord Eldred
02-18-2002, 08:11 PM
Avan Evil? Where do you get that? What acts has he done of an evil nature? Desire for power does not necessarily equal evil!

Riegan Swordwraith
02-19-2002, 02:50 PM
I know what ya mean Lord Eldred......I am not suggesting it,just pointing out if Avans alignment was LE,what would Boeruines be???

Lord Eldred
02-19-2002, 08:37 PM
Perhaps true evil? It seems that he wants power for power's sake which some would consider evil but would he try to acquire that power through whatever unethical/ethical means necessary? I am not sure you can consider either evil.

Green Knight
02-19-2002, 09:33 PM
I have the good duke as Neutral. He is very ambitious and willing to go to great lenghts to acheive his goal. At the same time he is a true Anuirean noble who holds the traditional knightly virtues in high regard. Add in a fearfull temper and a headstrong personality, and you have a wonderfully complex chap that doesn't fit in anywhere but (N)

Lord Eldred
02-24-2002, 05:50 PM
true neutral?

Green Knight
02-25-2002, 10:19 AM
Yes. Not good or evil. Not lawful or chaotic. True neutral.

Not true neutral as in: Tries to balance eveything, but true neutral as in: Not committed to any principle yet not wholly selfish or inconsidereate of the needs of society.

Temujin
03-02-2002, 07:32 PM
Boeruine definitely is lawful neutral. Besides his ambition, there are two major characteristic traits of the Archduke that can't be argued against: his chivalrous sense of honor, and his utmost belief that laws are the solution to everything. These two traits make him VERY lawful from my point of view.

Micheal_Roele
03-04-2002, 10:47 PM
When I have run my Birthright campaigns in Anuire, I handle the Iron Throne issue like this:

Avan and Boeruine - Clearly the front runners for the Iron Throne, but its still beyond both men's reach. They stand in each others way, and both are all too ambitious to rally popular support among the other regents outside of their allies and vassals. They are too evenly matched, and not willing to risk all in an all-out war yet until they think they have an edge over the other.

Ghoere - I always portray Ghoere as a ruthless "Longshanks" type guy in Braveheart. He wants the Iron Throne, but is bitter he will never have it. He has no allies or support. IF he focuses on Roesone, he has problems with Mhoried, and visa-versa....He is caught in the center of Anuire and can't break out.

Mhoried - The Mhor doesn't desire the Iron Throne, and is content fending off the Gorgon and preventing Ghoere from having it. Though In one game, a PC played his son Micheal, LG, F4, who became regent later, and he became a contender for the throne. The Mhor's heirs make good PC's to shoot for the Iron Throne.

The Gorgon - I never involved him until it looked like someone seriously had a chance to take the Iron Throne. Then he would care and send his legions into Anuire. To be honest, The Gorgon has more pressing enemies around him, like Elves, Dwarves, and Brecht.

Green Knight
03-05-2002, 05:21 PM
Orginally posted by Temujin

Boeruine definitely is lawful neutral. Besides his ambition, there are two major characteristic traits of the Archduke that can't be argued against: his chivalrous sense of honor, and his utmost belief that laws are the solution to everything. These two traits make him VERY lawful from my point of view.

I agree with you. My (N) Boeruine is not based on the BR material, but was introduced as a new twist, as everybody I played with were too well aquainted with the major NPC from earlier games.

Temujin
03-07-2002, 10:46 PM
Orginally posted by Micheal_Roele

Mhoried - The Mhor doesn't desire the Iron Throne, and is content fending off the Gorgon and preventing Ghoere from having it. Though In one game, a PC played his son Micheal, LG, F4, who became regent later, and he became a contender for the throne. The Mhor's heirs make good PC's to shoot for the Iron Throne.

They run a powerful realm, but the problem is that unlike Ghoere, Boeruine and Avanil, they can't use their armies in outside wars for any length of time, else the Gorgon would take it into his hand to grab an undefended Mhoried. The best they can do is gather support through diplomacy, at least until they can gather support enough not to have to worry about the Gorgon.

gav
03-13-2002, 09:44 PM
I have used Avan and Boerine in a similar way to the majority of respondants to this forum. Avan (AV) is tricky and popular while Boerine (B) is experienced but prone to lose his patience.

In my campaign the new ruler of Tournen invited AV and B to visit on her corenation as Dutchess. She was shown to be a weak leader, but when Attempts by Alamie at seduction failed on the Dutchess they made pacts with some of her Counts and attacked Tournen. Southern most provines were protected by Avanil in return for vassaledge while B provided muscle to force the remaining Alamie and Tournen regents to form a council and unite the remaining provences and call the area Alamie once again.

B then used this council to launch an assault on Avanil proper. AV - having built up a great navy lost ground to B's larger army. AV planned to use the Navy with help from a ground (and magical) attack from Taeghas.

B sent a group of adventurers (dressed in Beorine clothes) to Kill Rhoubhe. If they succeded then he would be assured popular support. If they failed then Rhoube would think that B had attacked him and send his elves to attack Boerine. Unfortunately the party of PCs never made it. AV had given them 2 months notice - as he had found out that on a particular day Rhoube goes to an island and spends a full day there alone. Unfortunately they were killed adventuring while trying to toughen themselves up to take out Rhoube. AV's foolproof plan had failed.

When B's army approached AV went with some of his men with what appeared to be a large painting under a canvas. When the painting was under the gates of the castle his men attacked. The castle guards sounded the alarm and dropped the gates. But under the canvas wasn't a painting of the chancellor as promised - but a thin, but very strong support which held the gates open so that AV's army could press into the castle. After some time AV managed to force the Chancellor to invest him as Emperor.

Furious B Seiged the Castle. After months he stormed the castle. AV had secretly chosen a common baby girl and invested her with the Empire. Then as his army was being destroyed AV challenged B to a duel to the death. In this way he would either win or be killed outright in battle (rather than be forced to invest B with the Empire). AV also banked on his major persuasion - but B countered this with his Andurian Resistance. Although AV tried to inflict critical hits on B - B eventually wore him down and killed AV in combat.

Unfortunately B was frustrated by not being able to be invested as emperor - he had all his captured enemies eyes cut out and began a facist reign. All the while tracking down AV's heirs and killing them (thinking that AV had passed it to them). He's a bit of a Tyrant now -although 15 years on he has left his General to rule while he deals with problems in Boerine.

gav
03-20-2002, 01:05 AM
Anyone else want to tell me about their Boerine and Avanil - or have a killed off this thread.

Gav

CypherPax
12-17-2003, 03:02 PM
I have played two Anuirean caimpaigns and they have both been bloodbaths. The end of the first one ended with most of the players dying in an attempt to repel the Gorgon.

Anuire is not a huge country and it has been unable to unite for centuries due to power-hungry warlords. I like to compare Anuire to George Martin&#39;s Saga of Fire & Ice in terms of brutality and lack of magic.

Every generation or so, things come to a head - there&#39;s a massive bloodbath and the Gorgon comes out of his fortress to harvest bloodlines and ensure that no one remains strong enough to unify Anuire.

In my game, the Gorgon is interesting in bring the Cold Rider and the remainder of the Lost into Cerelia. He doesn&#39;t care about conquest as his needs are met -- he does enjoy ruining realms though.

Basically, conquest is not fun anymore since there are not challenges in Cerelia left... Anuirean caimpaigns have a dark tone, where Knights are supposed to be heroes, but are more likely to be butchers.

I ran an interestly game in Brechtur that was more heroic. The Bretch League was reformed, though it wasn&#39;t any stronger than what it was in the days of Lake Laden.

I think that&#39;s a major team of Birthright - lots of potential, but little change. Villians like the the Gorgon or the Serpent are too stong for the potential empire builders, the Bretch are too independent, and the Vos and Rjurik too wild.

-Cypher Pax

ConjurerDragon
12-17-2003, 06:22 PM
CypherPax schrieb:

> This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at:

> http://www.birthright.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=34

>

> CypherPax wrote:

> I have played two Anuirean caimpaigns and they have both been bloodbaths. The end of the

first one ended with most of the players dying in an attempt to repel

the Gorgon.

> Anuire is not a huge country and it has been unable to unite for centuries due

> to power-hungry warlords. I like to compare Anuire to George Martin`s Saga of Fire &

> Ice in terms of brutality and lack of magic.

My favourite real-world example is germany/the holy roman empire of

german nation during the 30-years war (achtigjarige orlog if I remember

the dutch name of it from my visit of a museum in Alkmaar).

Or after playing the Warlords Edition of Shogun:Total War, the Sengoku

Jidai period of Japan.

> Every generation or so, things come to a head - there`s a massive bloodbath and the Gorgon

> comes out of his fortress to harvest bloodlines and ensure that no one remains strong enough

> to unify Anuire.

> In my game, the Gorgon is interesting in bring the Cold Rider and the remainder of the Lost

> into Cerelia. He doesn`t care about conquest as his needs are met -- he does enjoy ruining

> realms though.

If he is so strong and just enjoys to do what he does, then why does he

need the Cold Rider (who is rumoured to be a part of Azrai and might be

a danger to him) or the Lost?

> Basically, conquest is not fun anymore since there are not challenges in Cerelia left...

>Anuirean caimpaigns have a dark tone, where Knights are supposed to be heroes, but are more

>likely to be butchers.

> I ran an interestly game in Brechtur that was more heroic. The Bretch League was reformed,

> though it wasn`t any stronger than what it was in the days of Lake Laden.

I always thought that the Brecht League was strong - just not united ;-)

> I think that`s a major team of Birthright - lots of potential, but little change. Villians

> like the the Gorgon or the Serpent are too stong for the potential empire builders, the Bretch

> are too independent, and the Vos and Rjurik too wild.

If you look at the Rjurik like our real-world vikings/norseman then why

should they not be able to unite? After all there was a united

scandinavia for quite some years. Even the small country of denmark was

able to rule Grönland/Iceland/southern Sverige...

Or the union of Norway and Sweden?

But I would not see a king as head of the rjurik union - seeing how

small all the jarls realms are and how split up I would assume that the

union is ruled by druids. THEY already have two of the largest

organizations running with the Oaken Grove and Emerals Spiral that can

match nearly any other realm in the other regions.

bye

Michael

Patrucio
12-19-2003, 06:54 PM
My take on the major characters are as follows:

Neither Boeruine nor Avan are bad guys when you get down to it. Both have the same basic motivation (restoration of the Empire), but both are arrogant enough to believe that only they or their line is fit enough to complete that task. Also, both the House of Avan and the House of Boeruine truly believe that they are the lawful successors, and their senses of honor would not abide letting a "false Emperor" take the throne. Aeric Boeruine and Darien Avan are very different people, though.

Avan is a very cosmopolitan person. He has a great interest in "modern" Anuire, is friendly to the new faiths and the burgeoning middle class, is fairly tolerant of other races, and is open to foreign influence in the Anuirean homeland. He has a very progressive outlook, and is open to new ideas. At the same time, he&#39;s fairly materialistic, not very spiritual/religious, and an unrepentant opportunist. While he would never break his word, he certainly would take something at the letter rather than the spirit of the agreement if doing so would be more advantageous. (Lawful Neutral)

Boeruine is the arch-conservative. He firmly believes that the traditions of Anuire should be the guiding principles of modern Anuire. He cannot abide foreign influence in Anuire, holds all elves in contempt, and believes that the commoners need to be reminded of their place in the ancient caste system of Anuire. At the same time, he his honorable and honest to a fault, devoutly religious to the traditional gods of Anuire as well as in paying the proper respect to his ancestors, and has an unequivocable sense of justice. (Lawful Neutral)

Baron Tael is much less evil in my envisionment than in the book. He is an absolute ruler that brooks no contradiction. Because of that, Gavin Tael is pretty much alone. None of his advisors would ever tell him anything other than what he wishes to hear out of fear of punishment. He is militaristic, expansionistic, and aggressive towards his neighbors. His justice is harsh, but his justice is also fair, even, and equal. More than any other ruler in Anuire, he holds his nobility to the same standards of justice that he holds his commoners in, and furthermore is the most likely to see justice done in noble abuses against the common peoples. Gavin Tael does crave the Iron Throne, but only because he sees himself as the saviour of Anuire. He does not believe that the feud between Avanil and Boeruine will ever be settled, and the only hope for Anuire to be strong again is for a third party to acquire the power necessary to force those two mighty pillars of Anuire to bend knee in submission. His drive and vision push him towards ruthlessness, but he is not cruel out of a love of cruelty. (Lawful Neutral)

The Mhor is a tired, aging man. He has seen conflict his whole life, and he is tried of fighting. He feels honor-bound to maintain his vigil against the Gorgon, and a personal dislike of Gavin Tael pushes him to oppose the would-be Emperor, but he has no love of the conflict. His passion remains, however, for his people. He is a fair ruler, though his justice is not felt evenly throughout Mhoried. He definitely lets his emotions and personal feelings color his approach to his people. He finds that the people of Mhoried, and the love and admiration they openly show for their Mhor, is the only thing that keeps him from handing over his heavy crown to his son. Well, that and the fact that his son is nowhere near ready to rule the people of Mhoried yet. (Chaotic Good)

CypherPax
12-19-2003, 10:04 PM
Great replies. Perhaps I should try a nobler, less savage Anuire. The Anuriean personalities do seem very balanced.

I often wondered what the Gorgon REALLY wants though. The Gorgon could easily conquer Anuire if he wished. He&#39;s got a strong economic base, a nearless endless supply of troops (particularly since he can call on the undead) and very strong magic. His lifespan is such that he could very easily win a war of attrition where he takes a realm( or even a couple of provinces) every 10 years or so. and fortifies them. On top of this, very few entities in Cerelia are even capable of hurting him. He could simply crash a Sword and Crown and butcher every regent in Cerelia. Then it would be very difficult for Anuire to mount a resistance. He doesn&#39;t seem to what the crown. Does he just want to be left alone? In my game, the Cold Rider is the avatar of Azrai. The Gorgon wants Azrai to return. Azrai has promised to make the Gorgon the regent of all of Cerelia. Who knows if that&#39;s true, the Gorgon is out of his league when dealing with the Azrai - but his ego would never let him admit that.

I didn&#39;t mean to imply the the Bretch League is weak, it is just decentralized. It could be very powerful when presented with a common cause or enemy.

Cheers,

Cypher