PDA

View Full Version : The Templars

The Swordgaunt
09-04-2006, 01:28 PM
The Militant Order of Our Lord Haelyn's Temple (MOHT

The Order of Haelyn's Temple, or the Templars, is a young order, founded by the Paladin Sir Paldon Strathcarron in 552 MR, and is closely affiliated with the Northern Imperial Temple. Sir Paldon had recieved several visions from Haelyn prior to the founding, and the order rapidly attracted several knights of the faith. It currently has holdings in all Talinean provinces and in all provinces in the Five Peaks, axept for Sufhaine.

Hierarchy:
Grand Master: Lord Protector of Talinie and the Northern Imperial Temple, Sir Paldon Strathcarron.

Seneschal: Sir Bertrand of the Downs

Marshal: Lord Amon d'Avani

Commander of Talinie: Sir Doughart Willowmarsh

Commander of the Five Peaks: Sir Krayn of Lindholme

In addition to these five men, the order currently has nine Knights Paladin, thirty two Knight Brothers and sixty Sergeant Brothers. Further, the Templars can field two hundred Sergeants-at-Arms.

The daily duties of maintainance and labour is handled by some three hundred and fifty Rural Brothers, Hospital Brothers and Servant Brothers.

---

The Templars is built loosely over the Teutonic Knights of Medieval Europe, and I plan to evolve the theocratic Domain of Taline into an Order State, where all nobles are Knights of the Faith.

The situation in my campaign is as follows, the Prince and the Archduke is at war, and most of the Realms of the Southern Coast and the Heartlands are beeing dragged into the spiral of voilence and intrigue. In the North, Storn Holtson has porchased the throne of Stjordvik, and Dhosone is brought to chaos after a series of rebellions and assasinations.

Sir Paldon and his companions infiltrated the Gorgons Crown a year ago, and saw first hand the evidence of a massive army build-up in the Gorgons provinces. The only other Realm, apart from Mhoried, who takes the threat seriously is Turahievel, were Prince Filherane was rescued from imprisonment in Kal'Saitarak. Now, rumors say that a large number of elves are moving north from Ruannoch. They have been sighted in both Boeruine and the Peaks, but their destination seems unclear.

The Templars is building strength to stand fast against the armies of Prince Raesene long enough to make the petty Southron Lords cast away their personal aspirations for power, and unite against the Enemy of Man.

Any thoughts or questions?

Cuchulainshound
09-04-2006, 06:26 PM
One quibble, maybe insignificant- the term "Templars" is often used for any Militaristic Temple force- Templars of Belnik, templars of one sect or another of Haelyn.

Do you want to earmark that term for use with only one sect? Your game, so if they are "The" Templars, the standard, cool- just saying.

Also, I'd think a militant sect would have more than two units of a standing army, if they're the size you're describing- tho' other considerations may keep them from mustering more.

When I ran a militant temple as NPC's, I tried to keep 1 unit in each significant holding (which were fortified to Level 1). A bit draining on expenses, yes, but the "personality" of the sect was military (but not predatory), and that was the touchstone for all their politics and interactions, and more than once they came to the aid of an ally, or would-be ally, or the Empire, in an unexpected crisis, because they were ready, and didn't have to spend time mustering up.

Also had one unit Battlle Magic traine (noble) mdm cavalry, garrisoned in their central/main Holding. That thing was a joy to see in action... for allies. I used them as "angels" to come to the rescue... or not... of any wise enough to ally with them, and/or pay their price if they hadn't.

Thomas_Percy
09-04-2006, 09:11 PM
The Templars is built loosely over the Teutonic Knights of Medieval Europe, and I plan to evolve the theocratic Domain of Taline into an Order State, where all nobles are Knights of the Faith.
Excelent idea. You can create very interesting, and uncommon domain for Anuire.
As I see, you have nononsense history (knigthoods) knowledge, but I recomend Wikipedia for more info about Templars or Teutonic Knights Realm.

The Swordgaunt
09-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Templars is, as you said, Cuchulainshound, a loose and generic term. But, the Knights of Our Lord Haelyn's Temple will probably make sure that they will not be mistaken for Belinik worshippers.

The reason for the low standing army (One unit of Knights -Knights Paladin, Knight Brothers and Sergeant Brothers- and two of Infantry -Sergeants-at-Arms) is linked with the short time since the orders founding. Although the founder is quite the Messianic figure, one cannot turn a traditional clerical organization like the NIT into a militant order over night. In time, and I suspect it will take about a year or more, the Templars will be the dominant temple holding in the Realm.

The goal is to have fortified temple holdings in all provinces, and to have one unit of Sergeants-at-Arms in each holding. Each chapter will should be able to support at least one unit of Knights under the command of the chapter's Comander. Further, the Grand Master should have one unit of veteran Knights under his command banner. By mustering all the castellans, at least one more unit of Knights should be feasible, as well as a bunch of Sergeants-at-Arms.

The exact organization of this Realm is not clear yet. Historical sources is one thing, making it fit in the BRCS is a bit different. And, there is a lot of realm actions to be done.

Thanks for the feedback. Any other thoughts are welcomed.

RaspK_FOG
09-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Very nice idea. :)

Cuchulainshound
09-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Classically, an order of this type could count on attracting noble sons who needed to make a name for themselves, but who probably weren't near the front of the line for inheritance- the elite cavalry unit is perfect for that. (Training them to coordinate with Battle Magic is optional, but imo, a nice touch- and a real hammer.)

I'd also suggest, as a purely political ploy, ~not~ to call the standing units "seargents at arms", but something more "pious and spiritual", perhaps "Haelyn's adherants" or "shield bearers" or "standard bearers". Easier to keep a straight face in court when asked why you have a standing army across the land.

The various Yamabushi of medieval Japan are my model for this as often as European templars are- the Y's would mask many of their martial activities and political protests in a cloak of religious piety, thus making it socially awkward for any Noble to take direct action against them. :cool:

The Swordgaunt
09-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I'd also suggest, as a purely political ploy, ~not~ to call the standing units "seargents at arms", but something more "pious and spiritual", perhaps "Haelyn's adherants" or "shield bearers" or "standard bearers". Easier to keep a straight face in court when asked why you have a standing army across the land.

A good point, but although the Grand Master is a great leader, he is a bit ... lacking when it comes to politics. You might say that he is the embodiment of Haelyn´s aspect of noble war, and not so much of the lawmaker.

In addition, he has been comanded by our Lord Haelyn to defend the lands of Anuire against the forces of Evil (as I have mentioned, Prince Raesene is massing his armies...). He is the Lord Protector of Talinie, the Peaks and the NIT (his wife is the Regent of Talinie and the Peaks), so at this point he doesn´t give a goblin´s ear about explaining why his temples have well trained, well equipped, and highly motivated soldiers defending them.

As for the "second sons", I´ll definetly use this as a rationale for why the Templars are able to attract lots of skilled knights.

RL has been keepinng me busy, but I will try to post further updates ASAP.

Your comments are hightly appreciated, folks!