PDA

View Full Version : french pbem using birthright rule

CyberKobold
06-18-2006, 04:59 PM
http://tourdebabel.forum2jeux.com/

thrakkazz
08-25-2006, 06:17 AM
same forum as above actually (please create account on this one, and answer to the polls, speaking frensh is a plus but not required) until we got enougth player to create the new dedicated forum

Question
09-19-2006, 12:34 PM
All the forum buttons, and names of sub forums are in french.

All threads are in french.

All replies are in french.

How is "knowing french" a plus instead of a necessity? I cant even figure out what forum is for which purpose.

Hawkric
09-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Well, we're traditionally open to foreigners. Especially when it comes to Birthright. And many of us make what are called "efforts" (hence some of the excellent postings I've had the chance to read here in the past, written by french-speakers.) when confronted with people not quite cognescent with the French tongue.

Please don't take this too badly : Let's say that "knowing" French (as in fluent) is a plus, "actually being interested enough to be willing to make an effort" is a necessity.

Green Knight
09-20-2006, 05:50 PM
Please don't take this too badly : Let's say that "knowing" French (as in fluent) is a plus, "actually being interested enough to be willing to make an effort" is a necessity.

An odd statement at the very least. Could you please elaborate as to what you're really trying to say? What is "effort" in this context?

I had a quick look at the site, and though it looked like a nice forum, I can understand only a little French (if I have my dictionary close at hand). So how is it that understanding the French language isn't a necessity to benefit from the site?

(...and don't get me wrong - French is by any standard a very nice language)

thrakkazz
09-20-2006, 06:58 PM
All the forum buttons, and names of sub forums are in french.

All threads are in french.

All replies are in french.

How is "knowing french" a plus instead of a necessity? I cant even figure out what forum is for which purpose.
Keep cool, i think you know yahoo for instance, you can easily translate a french text into a english one (even if its not perfect you should be able to understand it).
Even if my english is not so fluent you can always ask some questions in english.
Most of the players there are used to speak/write english.

Actually there're only french speakers but game is open (as long as you don't plan to speak the dark tongue).

cyrano24100
09-20-2006, 11:09 PM
> Actually there're only french speakers but game is open (as long as you don't plan to speak the dark tongue).

I'm guessing dark tongue is not English, right?

I will say overall that it's tough playing PBeM in a "foreign" tongue. I'm pretty fluent in French, but gamed mostly in english, so I'm not used to frenchy-sised names of places and characters. I don't know about Birthright, but the D&D Mysteria in French was extensively localized with very french sounding names of places, objects, monsters etc. For natives living in French it's exactly what you need, but in my case I would need to "faire un effort"... :D

Charles Dupin de Saint Cyr <- Real name, not frenchy-sised character name

Cuchulainshound
09-21-2006, 09:37 PM
I checked out Tour de Babel a while ago. I speak some French, but the problem is in the idiomatic language most on-line gamers use. NO WAY can I translate the equivalent of txt mssg'g or read the latest slangm, or even game-terms and obscure fantasy-related vocabulary, even assuming there are no typo's/sprelling errours.

I, for one, appreciate the invite, but unless it's more bilingual than it is, it's just not realistic for anyone who's not fluent.