PDA

View Full Version : Download error

Dekker Conrad
04-17-2006, 11:24 PM
I'm getting an Error:500 when I try to download anything from this site.

I searched the forums, but I didn't find anything about this problem.

Thanks in advance to whoever can help me!

irdeggman
04-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Hmm. I just checked the downloads section and it seems that the files are all rar files.

Not everyone has the capability to deal with rar files. :(

IMO these should either be modified to be self extracting rar files or plain old zip ones. Just about everyone who can deal with pdf files (i.e., has a pdf reader program) has a zip program.

ausrick
04-18-2006, 12:55 PM
It seems like just the updated versions of the chapters of the D20 BRCS are in the rar format. I had to download winrar to be able to look at them. It is evaluation software so I am not sure if it will quit working on me or not. :( I would agree with Irdeggman that zip is more cross-platform friendly.

ausrick
04-18-2006, 01:01 PM
Dekker, How far do you get into the download process before you get the error?

Dekker Conrad
04-18-2006, 04:28 PM
I click on the "Download Here" link at the bottom of this page: http://www.birthright.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=26

And then I get this error:

Error Code: 500 Internal Server Error. The request was rejected by the HTTP filter. Contact your ISA Server administrator. (12217)

ausrick
04-18-2006, 05:43 PM
That link worked for me. I am using IE Version: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519.

I checked it with Netscape and Firefox and they both seemed ok with it.

Are you using anything like Outlook Web Access (OWA) 2003 to view it? Microsoft seems to have recorded some problems with that and ISA servers.

It seems to be a problem with something called "Hi-Bit characters", like the Umlauts in German or the ~ above "N" in spanish for the ny sound. Microsoft says that the Server Administrator should disable the "Block Hi-Bit Characters" option on the server side. But most of the Admins have posted that that did not solve their problem (<sarcasm>suprise</sarcasm>) But one admin did say that after playing around in the "http filter" settings, unchecking "verify normalization" helped.

As usual, Microsoft blames ISAserver for the problem, and ISAserver doesn't really mention anything about it on their website :(

If you are running Internet Explorer and running into this problem. I would suggest the easiest work around is to download Mozilla Firefox. I'm not bashing Internet Explorer. It's just that I've seen two computers with the exact same version where one will have a problem with a certain webpage and the other will not, and who knows why? And you can't just re-install Internet Explorer very well. So often picking a different browser is the only work around when people are shrugging their shoulders at the problem. :(

Dekker Conrad
04-18-2006, 06:58 PM
Actually, I tried it first using Firefox. IE gives the very same error. Could it be something server-side that's blocking my IP address? I'm at a military installation right now and I've had problems with my SMTP server rejecting my connection.

Arius Vistoon
04-19-2006, 12:13 PM
Not everyone has the capability to deal with rar files. :(

oh, i didn't think about that. This week-end, i 'll have some time to improve this (and other thing).
In waiting, or for people could be install this excellent software winrar, you can find it at http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm

irdeggman
04-19-2006, 03:09 PM
7-Zip is another one. Its free and can handle rar as well as zip files.

When I get home I'll see if I can find the link to the site.

Here is the link:
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html (http://www.7-zip.org/download.html)

At work I can't load software though so I'm stuck with the preinstalled win zip.

Stiele Emeraldcrown
06-11-2006, 01:37 PM
When I click download button, page cannot displayed screen in my browser shows up help please.

Snark
06-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Whenever I attempt to download anything, it gives me this message:

Not Found

The requested URL /downloads/dlver-birthright-3ed-revision.rar was not found on this server.

It gives me that message on both Safari and Explorer.

Kalanafein
06-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've just tried to download almost everything from the core rules section, but all the times it said that the page did not exist.
The same can be said about the 3 Ed. character sheet.
I have winrar installed, so I'm sure that is not the problem.
I use explorer.

Arjan
06-13-2006, 09:20 AM
the download section is still broken and is being worked on.

to download the most recent chapters see the folowing thread
http://www.birthright.net/showthread.php?t=2628

Kalanafein
06-13-2006, 11:44 AM
Thank You! :)
That is what I did. However, chapter 2.pdf seems to be a corrupted file. I have downloaded it 2 times, and both times I could not open it.

Arjan
06-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Thank You! :)
That is what I did. However, chapter 2.pdf seems to be a corrupted file. I have downloaded it 2 times, and both times I could not open it.

hmmm strange, i can open it in IE and FF, and normally in Acrobat after i downloaded it.
I have send you the chapter now though, hope you can open that one.

Doyle
06-14-2006, 10:50 AM
Actually, I tried it first using Firefox. IE gives the very same error. Could it be something server-side that's blocking my IP address? I'm at a military installation right now and I've had problems with my SMTP server rejecting my connection.

I know the downloads section is down with other problems at the moment, Dekker, but you might find that trying to download zip and executable files (including rar's) will be bounced due to the over-heavy firewall that seems the norm for government and military installations. I work at a government site at the moment and our our firewall now block many items that I need to do my job - it's stopped blocking zip's, but removes any dat's and exe's even if thay are loaded within a zip file - that's progress for you ;-)

Arius Vistoon
06-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Whenever I attempt to download anything, it gives me this message:

Not Found

The requested URL /downloads/dlver-birthright-3ed-revision.rar was not found on this server.

It gives me that message on both Safari and Explorer.

we repaired this section. Now, it must be done. Please re-try and tell us if ok

Kalanafein
06-20-2006, 09:56 AM
hmmm strange, i can open it in IE and FF, and normally in Acrobat after i downloaded it.
I have send you the chapter now though, hope you can open that one.
First of all I wanted to thank you for sending me that file. :)
However, it still says it is a corrupted file.
I have solved the problem by downloading the .zip file in that same topic, since it includes all the chapters ^^

irdeggman
06-21-2006, 12:56 AM
What version of acrobat are you using? IIRC the file was in 6.0, earlier ones might cause problems.

Gwenfloor
06-27-2006, 05:24 AM
I've got the same problem.
Besides, what is an RAR file?

RaspK_FOG
06-27-2006, 10:57 AM
RAR stands for Resource Adapter Archive (think aRchive) and is a means of archiving and compression; to that end, it has some advantages over the ZIP file format, but that's another issue. All in all, it's one of the most widespread compressed file types you can find around on the Internet.