PDA

View Full Version : New Members - why?

irdeggman
12-08-2005, 09:18 PM
In the past month or so, I've noticed quite a few new people posting on the boards.

IMO this is great, but I would like to know what prompted you to join the board and participate in discussion.

Other than mere curiosity, it could serve as guidance for how to get BR publicized to the rest of the RPG community out there.

DemyztikX
12-08-2005, 10:05 PM
I joined a while ago but just started posting. I heard that people had been given charge of the now unpublished settings that were around in 2nd edition. I was pointed to the Dark Sun setting but soon desided to hunt down Birthright, since I had ALWAYS been interested in it since I saw a box of it in a computer store at the mall.
From there I kinda left it until I saw that WotC was posting the old books on their site. I set up the Legacy of Kings board game and played with my group. They loved it so, now I'm here.

Arjan
12-08-2005, 10:36 PM
In the past month or so, I've noticed quite a few new people posting on the boards.

to add some numbers to it:

October 2005: 81
November 2005: 87
December 2005: 14 (till today)

Arjan

LeifVignirsson
12-08-2005, 11:00 PM
I knew about the place LONG before signing up a few days ago... I have been a hardcore BR fan since it first came out, owning almost two of everything (Hey, gotta have backup copies incase something happens). I haven't been a part of the discussion but after digesting some, I will be more than happy to throw in my copper peices worth of opinion. Long live BR!

Sir Robin
12-08-2005, 11:05 PM
I've been pretty inactive for some time.
Not much of a RPG'er per se but love reading the fluff stuff.

Was bored and going thru some boxes the other day and found my old Birthright stuff. Hopped online and found my membership still active.

Impressed as hell with everything you guys have accomplished, not to mention the fact that Birthright is still around.

Been looking at some of the new stuff WotC is putting out like Eberron and it just doesn't grab my imagination the way Birthright did and still does.

Now if I only had the time, and talent, to actually help in some meaningful way... oh the joys of the "Married with Children" life.

Fizz
12-09-2005, 01:23 AM
Well, i've been a member for a long while, and even longer have i been a fan of Birthright (since shortly after it was released).

I was lost in the Shadow World for quite a while. That evil-life-thing got in the way for last couple years. But i've rekindled my interest over the last several months so with luck i'll be gaming again soon.

-Fizz

Rhiannon Faramiriel
12-09-2005, 02:28 AM
I've been running a BR campaign since the game's release. Mine is based in a 1280s-1340s tech level and we're having a great time. I felt that it was one of the best games that handled higher level domain play. (A friend had tried to come up with a system similar to this ages ago. It was so bloody cumbersome that after 3 turns, everyone dropped it).

We were disheartened when the game was discontinued. It was almost like watching an excellent television show, only to have it cancelled because it didn't meet the expectations of the reality TV viewers that cared more about who was going to get kicked off the island, than a well written plot.

So, we carried on in what we thought was a vacuum on and off for a few years (life interrupted). Then one of our new players was cruising the net and decided to google "birthright". It pulled a hit on this sight. So, we came for a visit.

I'd been lurking sporadically and was curious about what other gamers were doing. I saw a thread on the old gods and decided to see if anyone had given any thought about a "false god" mentioned in "coils of the serpent".

And...well...here I am. :D

Reimer
12-09-2005, 10:40 AM
I was also member when you had the old boards, but had been inactive for a long time (still lurked all the time tho). I signed up again, partly due to I read my old birthright novels (and got in the mood again) and partly because I just finished a tabletop role-playing (not domain) campaign set in birthright.

I also just entered a couple of Pbem.

By the way: It is a darn good job you guys, have been doing, respect and roses to all of you!

:)

Mantyluoto
12-09-2005, 10:49 AM
I remember seeing an Advert in Dragon magazine for the Birthright game and i remember saying to my group that this looked good.

I bought it all as soon as it was released and found this site an age ago when i joined. Had several attempts at playing but the combination of Adventures and Domain turns became too much, (we played for 2 years real time, once a week but barely made it a year in game time) i even tried a Homebrew world but that stopped when one of my players dropped out (a pivitol player too).

I was sorting out my Dragon Mags the a few weekas ago and spotted the same advert. i started musing on an idea and called my one remaining player and told him we were going to play a "Kings" game with no adventures. He jumped at the chance and a few weeks and Several game years later he's loving it.

Manty

prince_dios
12-10-2005, 06:25 AM
I recently brought a bunch of my old things from my parents' house to my new residence. Amongst them were a treasure trove of old D+D books. I plan on starting a Birthright game, and was referred here by a friend when I inquired about any homebrewed 3E rules.

I am, however, curious what the "Official" with quotation marks means. :confused:

Marcus
12-10-2005, 06:42 PM
I was playing in a game for a long while, and when that crashed, I was drafted to run. I like the community here, having read the stuff, and the 3.0 version of the game is great.

I'm a little upset that WotC doesn't want to start publishing this stuff professionally again. There are many stories yet to be told with this franchise.

irdeggman
12-11-2005, 01:25 AM
I am, however, curious what the "Official" with quotation marks means. :confused:

WotC set up a system that granted sites the use of the term Official fan site for setting that they no longer support, like Birthright, Dark Sun, etc.

Birthright.net is the one for Birthtight. Athas.org is the one for Dark Sun, etc.

This agreement allowed the official fan site to publish setting material that is classified as offical setting material.

So the BRCS is (or will be once we finish and sanction it by vote) the official 3.5 Birthright rules.

See the pinned thread for details on this agreement.

http://www.birthright.net/showthread.php?t=2188

geeman
12-11-2005, 05:46 AM
At 07:42 PM 12/10/2005 +0100, Marcus wrote:

>I`m a little upset that WotC doesn`t want to start publishing this stuff
>professionally again. There are many stories yet to be told with this
>franchise.

Hear, hear. The fan base has turned out some very interesting stuff, but
it the full potential remains untapped.

Gary

Jankenstein
12-12-2005, 01:56 AM
I joined after taking some time off from the RPG world to pursue an obsession with music. :cool:

I've always been more of a fan of RPG material (Harn, Aria, C&S, Ars Magica, etc) that has been more societal based and less of a dungeon crawl.

Ramlyns
12-13-2005, 07:22 AM
Like seveal of the other respondents to this thread, I am an old-school 32 year-old RPG'er who has been inactive for some time. I participated in a number of PBEM BR campaigns several years ago, and was a member of the BR forums at that time. Upon discovering the BRCS project, I was very pleased with it's progress, so I'm excited about the setting again. My old D&D group is largely disbanded, not from lack of desire to play but from lack of time and due to living several hours apart geographically. Recently we have decided to attempt to play an e-mail campaign, and BR seems like an ideal setting for this. So here we are!

ahutton1
12-13-2005, 04:32 PM
I had wanted to start a Birthright game, always remembered it fondly from years ago when I played in one, and just went online to see what was still around. I was blown away by the amount of work people have put in to the setting, and Wizard's committment to allowing this volunteer work go forward.

Anyway, that's why I joined.

--AJ

asoe
12-14-2005, 10:20 AM
I was introduced to BR a couple of years ago. A friend of mine ran a campaign taking place in Coeranys in the province of Ranien. I played the only blooded character in a group of 4. Everybody was pretty ok with this, but after a series of sessions the others starting losing their characters. In the end, with no common cause and no old friendships to rely on, the campaign fell apart. Just recently, that same friend of mine launched a new campaign with more focus on regents expanding their realms and less focus on actual adventuring. This new campaign made me come to this board, and the information to be found here has been quite valuable in that game.

Green Knight
12-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Hmm,

I'm not exactly new, but I haven't posted in a long while. Come to think of it, its been almost a years since I did much more than promote my PBeM. The last real contribution was the world maps...and I haven't followed up with the promised Atlas to go with the map either. Shame on me...

It has been a busy RL year, but I hope to have some more time next year (note the wording - hope and not expect)...

B

benwoodruff
01-15-2006, 02:40 AM
I joined the old BR site back in the late 90's or 2000. I posted under crazy_wolf then. With deployments after 9/11 I pushed this back. I have moved back stateside and I am finishing up my MBA and I am going to run a BR 3.5 campaign. I must say I was so happy to see that dwarves got DR instead of the half damage in the sanctioned rules. I remember some heated arguments over that when the project began those 5 years ago.

gwwiz
01-22-2006, 04:26 AM
Started playing BR w/ fellow Geeks while stationed in the UK. Our Alpha Geek was a big fan and got us all hooked. (UGLY AARDVARK WHERE ARE U!!!)

I've moved twice since and lost touch with the old group. I haven't played since (Very bitter but no time and no local geeks).

He gave me a CD of the PC game B4 I left, which I just found. I needed to be a member to download the "stink-eng patches". (BTW, The patches R not wanting to work for me; any suggestions would be appreciated)

Final word: Glad to see the sight and best to all fellow geeks..

Drakkan
02-09-2006, 07:07 PM
I found BR.net back in 2003 or so, but got into collecting Dragonlance instead since the books and boxes were easier to get (and I had just finished reading the chronicles). In the last few years my group of normal players has dwindled to just 2 regulars and a few people who play from time to time. So I went about looking for a campaign that could be played with just about any number of players (small or large). I remembered this site and came back to check it out in more detail.

You guys have done some great work with the BRCS documents and I definitly am going to start planning a campaign. Not sure yet if I want to make it a public campaign or private. Don't think i'm familiar enough with the setting yet to do a big public game.

prince_dios
02-10-2006, 01:20 AM
You guys have done some great work with the BRCS documents and I definitly am going to start planning a campaign. Not sure yet if I want to make it a public campaign or private. Don't think i'm familiar enough with the setting yet to do a big public game.

Hand selecting players is always more desirable than running a game for strangers. That goes double for Birthright. Think about it, what do you do if the regent character's player wordlessly stops attending or cancels at the last minute?

Also, public games tend to attract hack and slashers, rules lawyers, and general weenies.

Chabit Rane
02-22-2006, 07:50 AM
I just found it. LOL. I'm a Birthright fan to the bone. Great game IMO.

Cmalik
02-22-2006, 10:05 AM
My Friend and DM Ewen bought the box back in 95 and we started playing soon after. No world captured our groups imagination like B-Right did. Not Greyhawk, not Ravenloft, none of em came close. it was home brew or B-right. To this day when ever my group is not playing B-right, it feels like we are just passing the time untill the Next B-Right game. Ewen is in Iraq right now teaching their army medic training. When he comes back he's already promised to run my group again.

Kami
02-28-2006, 04:46 AM
New member, first post. :)

I was introduced to Birthright through Birthright: A Gorgon's Alliance, published by Sierra Online, Inc. (before their merger with Vivendi Universal Games), when my mom picked it up with a bunch of other Sierra classics found in the bargain bin. I quickly grew to like it and, in discovering that the user manual mentioned a sequal to the game, went on a quest to find more information about the game.

The Dungeons and Dragons and TSR (I guess that's old, or what?) logos were on the CD, yet I never thought that the story of Birthright was an official part of the Dungeons and Dragons universe.

I'm still hoping for someone to pick up the rights and do another Birthright PC game since I'm not much of a D+D fan.

I found this site in trying to find an official link for the game to provide in a list of favorite games I was asked to write up for joining a community on the internet.

I'll probably be lurking for a while, reading other posts here. Are there any other sites you all could recommend to me to get more information?

Kami

falamar
03-10-2006, 07:32 PM
I have been playing BR since it's launch

Paladin132
03-22-2006, 05:06 PM
I'm new, and I just found that there was a update for Birthright for the 3ed rules. I always loved this setting more than any other and thought I might be able to get back into the swing of things from here. Birthright was the only setting that could keep my attention in D&D settings for very long before I became bored.

Arkhon
03-23-2006, 03:41 AM
Like benwoodruff, I was around back in the early days... but marriage, entering the workforce, kids etc... took me away from gaming for the last several years. I have fond memories of long and heated discussions about elves! I think I was a proponent of blunt weapons doing nonlethal damage to dwarves...

I was just surfing the web today, and remembering Birthright as my favorite D&D setting, decided to swing by and see what you all came up with. Downloading the core rules right now!

Johnathan

Kunkedhai_Dahk-Kobahk
03-23-2006, 03:50 PM
I'm writing from Italy. I ask you to sorry for my bad English.
I'm a new member 'cause i love Birthright and i'm playing in "Birthright's world" AD&D (2nd edition) from January 2003!

I discovered this Forum yesterday...:rolleyes:

vota dc
03-23-2006, 05:11 PM
Hello everybody! (I'm apologize for any errors because I'm italian and I'm not very good to write in english)

Birthright the Gorgon's Alliance is a great game!
I often play with Alamie because is a glorious challenge!First of all I BUY Endier (law holding,guild,tower,the tower and finally the province....at a little prices because Carilon Alam has the same alignment of Endier's regent),then I wait for some money and I invade Five Peaks or Spiderfell!
I have an avice for you:for the great businessman (like rockhammer) you should become their ally,so ask them to become vassal offering a big holding:the businessman will join you with ALL its holdings!

The Swordgaunt
03-24-2006, 07:29 PM
I found this site by chance a year or so ago when i was DM'ing BR, but I just bookmarked it and forgot about it... Recently I found it again, and joined.

JoseFreitas
04-04-2006, 09:50 PM
Hi everyone

I'm portuguese and have been involved with AD&D since 1982. I have been a longtime Greyhawk fan (and still am, and still run a GW game). I was involved professionally in the gaming industry from 1988 to 1994, but left for a few years. I had never really liked any of the other game worlds TSR had published: didn't particularly care for Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms (although liked some specific parts of it, I never liked it as a whole coherent world), didn't like Dark Steel and hated Planescape... and apart from a few D&D Gazeteers pretty much kept away from TSRs published worlds.

When I returned to the industry in 1997, my company had a chance to stock up on RPGs from TSR, and we stocked up on a lot of stuff including Birthright. I was very intrigued and immediately loved the world. I have been collecting it ever since, and recently ended up buying the last few items I didn't have in PDF form from RPGNow (very attractive prices!!), a few Players Domains, Sword of Roele and Naval Battles. Can you believe it that I only found this site a few weeks ago? Or that I only found TSRs free downloads for the 10th Anniversary of Birthright a month ago?!

By the way, I don't use AD&D or D&D rules to play, rather I use a modified set of Chivalry and Sorcery 2nd Ed.... I'm a dinosaur (and conversion is fairly easy).

best

José de Freitas
Portugal

Master Spaz
04-05-2006, 01:12 AM
cause i love the game
ive played this paper holding game for so long (its first printing)
and then i saw a sit of birthright ants working for the community
i would like to help
i already have campaign mapper PC program for creating maps
and i worked on a complete map of aebrynis
and then on an antic version of birthright on the Djapar continent
i have a full bunch of characters sheets and domain complete book for keeping stats
i would like to leave them on the site soon
then i would like to help on that atlas everyone is speaking of without having no news
thats it
we love you at Ex Nilo Team

Caliene
05-04-2006, 08:47 PM
heh. I bought Birthright the minute it hit the shelves and love it. I have little chance to play it, however. Few people in my current play group want to try and play BR. So this is the next best thing...

Caliene

Cargaroth
05-05-2006, 05:42 AM
I was lucky enough to stumble across the Birthrite site through the WotC site. I was greedily pouring over the downloads and found this goldmine. It is good to see so many fellow fans of what I believe is one of the most facinating, balenced and realistic game world produced for the D&D system. I'm looking forward to hearing more, particularly the atlas and the map of Abrynis!

Rugor
05-05-2006, 11:11 AM
Been a Birthright lover since it first came out, I bought every publication twice over while I was doing my 12 year stint in the Army. And in the proccess of living that transient life, lost or left them all behind as well.

I love the works the members of this site have put together. From the new BR rules chapters, to the Diemed download. I've added them to the collection of BR matierials I've downloaded onto my computer.

BR is the best game TSR ever created. If you're just a hack-n-slash player its not for you. If you want to play BR like it was an Axis-n-Allies game, its not really set up for that either.

BR comes closest to capturing the costs of war, the need for diplomacy and spy-work.... politics and little magic... there are no Elminsters walking upon Cerelia thankfully.

And the Bloodline slant gives it a brilliant angle. It is akin to real history where English, French and Spanish Kings would arrange marriages as much to ensure the peace or assure alliances as to gain claim on new lands.

Why did West Coast get rid of it?
Because it doesn't support the need for anything else. No need for support books on the planes, monster manuals, Epic series, and what not... BR gets away from what the rest of AD&D is.

Maelstrom88
05-12-2006, 09:50 AM
I always wanted to make a campaign with RPG and wars, and country ruling. Few years ago I have found Birthright on PC, and I tried to get to more resources to use it during gaming:)

Baervan
05-14-2006, 08:55 PM
I started playing BR in the mid 90's. we tried the domain turns but decided to drop them. Through the course of our adventures the gorgon managed kill off most of the regents in anuire. While we fled to the old world in search for an ancient power. Unfortunatly it didn't work out that well. So i accidentally resurrected azrai. Caused the 2nd coming of the gods and their deaths, but after a penance in hell. We founded a second empire in Muden with the line of basterd child dating back to the Roele family it's self. and the adventure continues into 3.5 rules.

Doyle
05-15-2006, 09:40 AM
You accidently ressurected Azrai?
There's gotta be a good story behind that one!

sandman_34
05-17-2006, 07:18 AM
i have windows xp.and birthright cant work.
it says
kernel32.dll bla bla bla...
what will u say brothers?

Perun
06-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Hello all!

I'm new o the boards, and here's my story (bear with me, I like telling things ab ovo, that is, I'm afraid that "short, concise, and to the point" is something I don't really know how to do well ;))

I started plaing back in '94 or '95. At first, we played in a homebrew setting, then switched over to FR (at that poing, GH was already out of print). We tried DragonLance (because of the novels), and with the advent of 3(.5) went back to FR. I never grew to like the setting, but most of my fellow gamers either liked it or were neutral. It had the benfit of being htemost developed and most detailed official setting.

I've heard of BR, of course, but never really got into the setting (I was busy collecting PlaneScape stuff, which, although never used in actual play, facinated me, and still do).

At first, with the arrival of 3(.5)e, it felt as if the good old days of D&D were coming back (I was quite fed up with all the Complete Books and optional rules, and appendices, and being required to own at least five other books to make good use of an accessory, and... etc.). While the new system played excellent in some areas (No more THAC0! No +3 penalties and -3 bonuses! Yay!), it "let me down" in others (magic item market, the ease of creating magic items).

Then I heard stories of Birthright. A coouple of free downloads from the WotC site (primarily for the Rich Baker's novel The Falcon and the Wolf), and I was in. I tracked down 2e BR campaign setting, and a few other accessories, and now I got the 3.5 conversion manual, and I'm set. I just might try DMing again, after quite awhile. I still need to get a firm grasp on the rules, thought, before I try it. But, I'm looking forward to it ;)

Regards!

DKhan
06-22-2006, 11:34 PM
I played in a BR campaign for some time, I was 50/50 on the whole idea. Then I came here and got the rules...It gave me so many ideas......:cool:

greegan
06-23-2006, 02:07 PM
I've been playing since 84 and bought the BR campaign setting (some how picked up a second and third somewhere down the line... also have the PDF) since it came out... Would you believe I have NEVER played BR??
Nobody in my group were willing to DM it except once... ONCE !!! and he gave up..
I've been a member since the original fansite. I've been back and forth with posting and lurking... I did some CC2 maps but family commitments (or being committed, i'm not really sure) got in the way.
I even wanted to contribute the 3.5 but again, I was committed (*ahem* to my family) and didn't get far with that...
I discovered a free map program just a short week ago called rpmaps (www.rptools.com) that runs with java. You can have everyone show up on a server and it has a fog of war and all that.
Anyways, the thought of having large scale battles on with the rpmap application reminded me i had not been on birthright.net for a while...
and here i am.

hazard
06-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Pozdrav komsija : )

Zelim samo da pozdravi peruna i da mu kazem da mi je drago da jos neko iz kosiluka osim nas 6-storo igra Br! Ko zna mozda je ovo pocetak S-H Br udruzenja : )

Pozdrav

sotiris
06-28-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi everybody!
My name is Sotiris [wow, I realised now that I should change my nickname for something more epic] and I come from Greece, though for the last semester I've been staying in Berlin as exchange student. I have read BR books again and again and though I have this great ideas I hadn't the chance to sit down and play, but hope to do so when I return to Greece in a few weeks. Looking for material [unfortunately most of the .pdfs are in Greece] I passed your site and signed in, thinking it was the only way to access the material. I admit I was pleasantly surprised with a lot of the stuff in this site and, though I won't be especially active, I'd like to contribute as much my limited programming knowledge and BR experience allow me.

until then

Sigmund
06-29-2006, 03:46 PM
For my part, I'm a BR player from way back, and I've kept BR.net on at least occasional view status for a long time, but I've decided to register and begin posting now because I'm currently recollecting BR material in preparation for converting BR to the True20 system in order to run my current group through it. Since True20's magic system is so different, I thought kicking some ideas around with true veterans and experts of the BR setting would be a very good idea. So far, I have hammered out what I think will be the powers (True20 spells) associated with the various deities in order to model divine magic, next I am tackling Low and True magic, then blood powers, then realm magic. I'm not sure yet, but I think the realm rules and war rules might be usable mostly as-is. After that, it's on to converting NPCs and Critters, which is gonna be so much easier to convert from ya'all's work than to have to start at 2ed, to 3rd, to True20.

RaspK_FOG
06-30-2006, 12:26 AM
Hi everybody!
My name is Sotiris [wow, I realised now that I should change my nickname for something more epic] and I come from Greece, though for the last semester I've been staying in Berlin as exchange student. I have read BR books again and again and though I have this great ideas I hadn't the chance to sit down and play, but hope to do so when I return to Greece in a few weeks. Looking for material [unfortunately most of the .pdfs are in Greece] I passed your site and signed in, thinking it was the only way to access the material. I admit I was pleasantly surprised with a lot of the stuff in this site and, though I won't be especially active, I'd like to contribute as much my limited programming knowledge and BR experience allow me.

until then
Wow, a compatriot!

I have honestly started studying RPGs from the Greek edition (I think it is much like New Scientist) of the computer magazine Pixel, back in the 90s, where the back leaves had advertisements and reviews for Magic: the Gathering and TSR-published sourcebooks, like the greatly enticing VanRichten's Guides or the various Dark Sun and Planescape sourcebooks. A shame how Kaissa, a game line here in Greece, didn't support Birthright properly, but I found out about it on my own and have purchased a couple of things for the setting.

Perun
07-01-2006, 09:07 AM
Pozdrav komsija : )

Zelim samo da pozdravi peruna i da mu kazem da mi je drago da jos neko iz kosiluka osim nas 6-storo igra Br! Ko zna mozda je ovo pocetak S-H Br udruzenja : )

Pozdrav

Pozdrav!

Daleko smo mi jos od igranja BR-a :) Kako je nas regularni DM morao (privremeno, nadamo se) odustati od D&D-a (posao i slicne stvari), duznost je preuzeo clan druzine, uz ideju da cemo se mijenjati (jer nam je svima draze igrati, nego voditi :)). Pa ja, eto, gledam BR i svidja mi se ono sto vidim. Ali jos cemo vidjeti, jer i GH i Eberron ulaze u uzi izbor.

Translation: We're still somewhat far from actually playing BR :) Our regular DM has had to (temporarily, we hope) leave D&D, due to his job and other real-life things, and anothe rmember of the group took the duty upon himself. We sort of agreed we'd switch DM-ing (we all prefer playing to DM-ing). I'm in process of checking out various settings, and from what I've read, I like BR, but I'm fond of GH and Eberron as well. But I still have some time to decide.

azzab
07-16-2006, 10:54 AM
I've loved the idea of playing Birthright for years but it's never worked out.
So I've started running a campaign with a bunch of elves (the PC's) who are out to get rid of the humans. "Must kill all humans"

It such a cool setting