PDA

View Full Version : A question about Classes and Regency (2e)

Bone White
05-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Referring to page 40-41 of the Birthright Rulebook from the boxed set, entitled "3. Collect Regency Points".

Is there an error with Table 14, in regards to class groups and classes? I'm assuming that the entry for Law: "Warrior, Priest*, Thief*" should be "Fighter, Priest*, Thief*". My reasoning is below:

Assuming that
Warriors (Fighters, Rangers and Paladins) can collect full domain power from Law holdings,
Rangers can collect full domain power from Guilds
Paladins can collect full domain power from Temples

Using the rule book as is, Rangers and Paladins can collect full domain power from two holding sources? Once you start adding in multi-class rangers into the mix, you're looking at a domain power house if that regent has a high blood power.

Was there any errata on this, or any individual thoughts?

AndrewTall
05-12-2015, 07:43 PM
I suspect the table is correct regarding law holdings, the 2 holding point sounds powerful, but you are forgetting that this is 2e, paladins were very rare (except for PCs) due to the Cha 17 requirement, while Rangers were also fairly rare as they had high requirements, while multiclassing (strictly dual classing) was <very> rare for humans which are the main regents available in BR, true multiclass sidhe and karamhul would smash any class-based RP collection system, but in practice the limit on RP is bloodline for many regents so perhaps the point is moot.

I am surprised on reflection though that the ranger didn't get half guild, and the paladin half temple, as both classes were fighter+extra rather than the converse.

Assuming that is, that I have remembered all the way back to 2e correctly ;-)

Bone White
05-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Fair comments AndrewTall, I've been spoiled post-2e in class parity and equality. I had forgotten how biased 2e was towards certain classes and other derivations within the ruleset.

You're right in saying that the restriction on RP generation is almost always Bloodline Strength, and not Domain Power, rendering this rather moot indeed. I appreciate the clarification, so thankyou.

Also, Hello community I guess.

arpig2
05-12-2015, 08:57 PM
Assuming that is, that I have remembered all the way back to 2e correctly ;-)
You have.

Nakraal
05-13-2015, 02:44 PM
Referring to page 40-41 of the Birthright Rulebook from the boxed set, entitled "3. Collect Regency Points".

Is there an error with Table 14, in regards to class groups and classes? I'm assuming that the entry for Law: "Warrior, Priest*, Thief*" should be "Fighter, Priest*, Thief*". My reasoning is below:

Assuming that
Warriors (Fighters, Rangers and Paladins) can collect full domain power from Law holdings,
Rangers can collect full domain power from Guilds
Paladins can collect full domain power from Temples

Using the rule book as is, Rangers and Paladins can collect full domain power from two holding sources? Once you start adding in multi-class rangers into the mix, you're looking at a domain power house if that regent has a high blood power.

Was there any errata on this, or any individual thoughts?

Paladins & Rangers have 2 sources to draw rp from but at half power from each

Fighters can collect 1rp per law holding
Paladins collect 1 rp per 2 law and 1 rp per 2 temple holdings
Rangers collect 1 rp per 2 law and 1 rp per 2 guilds