PDA

View Full Version : GM Tool for Birthright Campaign

Blaede
08-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Hello all.

I am currently developping an application for my game master to help him manage his birthright campaign.

The application is still at an early stage but you can already get a feel of what it will become.

There isn't much data in the database yet (just enough for testing), there are still bugs and a lot of functionalities to implement but it's progressing well and I am confident I will have a beta version this year.

You can download the application or look at the screenshots on this (https://sourceforge.net/projects/birthright/)webpage.

Don't hesitate to contact me if you want to know more about the project.

Cheers,
Blaede

Vicente
08-14-2012, 07:25 AM
I get a 403 error when trying to access that page :(

Blaede
08-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Weird, I just tried and it works...

Deathknyte
08-14-2012, 08:45 PM

Same here.

Muaadeeb
08-15-2012, 02:56 AM
This looks to be an internally protected website/page.

Can you repost the page under an open URL?

Arius Vistoon
08-15-2012, 08:04 AM
idem; don't work "error 403"

Vicente
08-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Blaede probably you can because you are the owner of the project, looks like the project is private or something like that, so the rest of us can't see it (that's my guess, could be something else).

Muaadeeb
08-16-2012, 12:57 AM
403: Forbidden"

"HTTP Error 403 - Forbidden"
The 403 Forbidden error displays inside the Internet browser window, just as web pages do.
Cause

The 403 Forbidden error is an HTTP status code that means that accessing the page or resource you were trying to reach is absolutely forbidden for some reason.
Resolution

Check for URL errors and make sure the actual web page is specified. The most common reason for a web site to return the 403 Forbidden error is if the URL is pointing to a directory instead of a web page.

If you're sure the page you're trying to reach is correct, the 403 Forbidden error message may be a mistake. At this point it's probably in your best interest to contact the webmaster or other website contact and inform them of the problem.

Blaede
09-11-2012, 10:17 AM
I am sorry, I didn't realize the project was private indeed. I just checked the user rights on the project and it seems only non registered users could not access the pages.

I changed the rule so now everybody should be able to access it.

I also subscribed to this post so I should answer quicker to any comment you guys make ;)

Vicente
09-11-2012, 04:52 PM
I have been playing with the tool a little, and its a lovely work. Keep it up, this could be very interesting for the community :)

Regards!

Vicente

Blaede
09-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Thank you !

I am really spending a lot of time on this. I am not a Flash expert so I often get stuck for hours on simple problems :)

As soon as I have a beta version, I will document it as much as I can in the SourceForge Wiki and maybe make some kind of a user guide.

Cheers.
Blaede

Vicente
09-11-2012, 08:17 PM
Just to help you planning, as far as I know, one of the things GMs want the most, it's that the tool runs the economy for them: you click a button, and then all realms earn gold, tax claims are done, vassalages paid,...

Blaede
09-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the tip Vincente but that's not really the way I plan to build the application.
I do this most of all for my DM and myself and if it can help someone else then it's a nice extra :)

I don't think running the Economy on a global scale is doable. You don't play all realms in one campaign, only the ones that your players interract with. Otherwise you also have to make all realms evolve along with the realms of your players. Rule the provinces, the holdings and so on. To do this for all realms is way too much work.

My DM and I prefer to update the NPC realms manually. The main thing I want to automate is the list of actions. Calculate the difficulty check, the cost in RP and gold of each action automatically and update the acting Domain after completion.

brffl
09-17-2012, 05:42 AM
I can't wait to see your work unveiled. I am still getting familiar with this cool site. Hopefully I get to play this new version of the game you are working on.:cool:

Blaede
10-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Just a little note to let you know that I made good progress. My friend who's supposed to do the testing hasn't much time to do it so I am expecting a lot of bug fixing in a second phase but all actions are now implemented.

I also added a button on the welcome screen to overwrite the database in case some of you have already installed the application (in which case newer versions of the application didn't work anymore).

Once I am happy with the latest version, I will try to make a wiki to explain in details how each screen works. This application was mainly designed for our DM and myself and we included a few house rules in the application.

Anyway, the latest version is always online on the SourceForge webpage, feel free to try it and give your feedback.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/birthright/

Cheers,
Blaede

Blaede
12-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Hi everyone !

Just a quick update. The application is almost done. I've just posted a new version (v 0.5.003) containing the real data, meaning all domains, provinces, regents and holdings from the official rulebook (there are more than 800 holdings).

My next step is to create a wiki on how to use the application but before that, I want to be sure that a few people are interested. I will not spend hours writing doc that nobody will ever read :)

So if you're interested, let me know !

Cheers,
Blaede

P.S. as a reminder, you can download the app here (http://sourceforge.net/projects/birthright/)

Blaede
12-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Hi all !

Just a quick update : the current version online is now complete and contains production data (data from the rule books). I am sure a few bugs will come out as the application get used but at least all functionalities are there.

That being said, I am planning on writing a small wiki (on the sourceforge webiste) on how to use the application but first I would like to know if some people are interested in this app besides my game master. I am not going to spend hours writing a wiki nobody will read :)

So if you're interested, please let me know !
Cheers,
Blaede

Magian
12-17-2012, 05:16 PM
I am for sure.

Vicente
12-17-2012, 07:43 PM
I am too interested on this app, but not from the point of view of a GM, but from the point of view of a person building another BR app. I always like to see what other people are doing and what I can improve myself.

Dyark
12-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Blaede

Would you mind giving me access to your sourcecode so i can combine it to my application that works for th whole continent ?

Blaede
12-28-2012, 09:53 AM
When you say "combine to my application", do you mean this ?
http://www.deismaar.com/cerilia_map2/Map.html

Blaede
12-28-2012, 09:54 AM
Blaede

Would you mind giving me access to your sourcecode so i can combine it to my application that works for th whole continent ?

Do you mean your interractive map ?

Dyark
12-28-2012, 12:41 PM
Yes with all the different module i created but didn't show yet
Charater creation
Action betting
Armies
Allies enemies vassal

I am at 60% of what the Gorgon alliance was doing but for the full continent and for all type of regent.
It will also be modifiable depending on the dnd edition you want to use.

There will be 2 version, playercand DM. I am also trying to build a chat with it.

I found your GUI interesting.

Blaede
12-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I prefer to keep the source code for myself for the moment Dyark but I wish you good luck with your project !

I am working on the user manual. Will be available in the coming days.

Cheers.

Blaede
01-03-2013, 11:47 AM
Hi everyone !

Happy new year to you all !

To begin this new year with good news, you can download the beta version of the application on the sourceforge website under the Files --> Tool folder. I cannot guarantee it is bug free as it has only been tested by my GM but there should not be many bugs left. If you find one, please report it to me.

You can also download the user guide under the Files --> Wiki folder. I tried to be as exhaustive as possible in this guide but if there is anything you don't understand please let me know.

Would be nice to know that I didn't spend hundreds of hours working on this app only for my GM but for other GMs as well :)

Cheers !
Blaede

Blaede
01-03-2013, 11:49 AM
As a reminder, the SourceForge website :
https://sourceforge.net/projects/birthright/

Vicente
01-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Happy new year, and congrats on the release! I will try to give it a look asap and comment :)

Regards!

Vicente

Blaede
01-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Excellent, I will be happy to read your feedback.

Blaede
03-12-2014, 11:34 AM
Hello fellow gamers,

I am pleased to announce that the V1.0 is now available for download on the Sourceforge website.

We've been using it in our campaign for a few months now and it looks stable.
Check out the new "Battle Screen" feature for large scale battles and the "Shortest Path" to find the fastest path between two provinces.

I strongly advice reading the user guide since there is quite a lot of functionalities in the application and it might not be very user friendly for a new Birthright GM.

Don't hesitate to post your comments on the Sourceforge website !

Cheers,
Blaede