PDA

View Full Version : Petition to have WOTC update and continue Birthright Products

Belrithalus
01-08-2012, 11:20 PM
Hello All,
So I have been playing D&D for twenty seven years and have always loved. I have all but a few of the Birthright products and have always liked it. I have GM a few games but have not been able to play. I have been playing Fourth edition and I find that I like it. I would love to see them make Birthright into a 4th edition game. They are making board games now and would love to see them make it into a board game or to see Legacy of Kings to be updated and rereleased. I'd also love to see some company kick out come PC game it would be awesome. We should do something as a community to let them know this product is still loved and we want to see them do something with it.

P.S I am looking for a current play by e-mail game if you know of any message me please, thank you.

Vicente
01-09-2012, 12:19 AM
I think kingdom level rules make sense in any DnD edition (3e was blessed with a few different systems). Maybe not as a rebirth Birthright, but something along the lines would be nice for 4e yes.

About the game, it was a total failure in sales, so I doubt anyone would try to pick it up really :( I think a Total War/EU/Civ conversion is a little more possible (although it's a huge work).

And about PbeM games, I know of three going on right now:

Empire's Twilight: http://legacyofblood.org/empiretwilight/
Reign: http://legacyofblood.org/reign/
Dawn of the Second Golden Age: http://brpbem.net/

I'm pretty sure there are free spots in the three of them.

Sinister
01-09-2012, 07:46 PM
With the announcement of a new system I don't think you will see a 4E version of Birthright. The boardgame idea has alot of merit.

Belrithalus
01-10-2012, 03:56 AM
So are they making a new world or are they moving to 5th edition? What new system are you talking about?

Sorontar
01-10-2012, 04:25 AM
WOTC are talking about a new version of D&D - http://www.birthright.net/forums/showthread.php?27479-New-Version-of-D-amp-D-Coming . I doubt they will revamp a world until after it is released. Most people just won't buy 4ed stuff if they know 5ed is coming.

Sorontar

ps. I'm sorry but the typo in the thread subject got to me so I fixed it.

Belrithalus
01-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Wow, after I read this I went and looked it up. This upsets me so much. So third had a six year run and fourth has a six year run. This pisses me off because I have almost every thing TSR did and all of 2nd through 4th. I have spent thousands of dollars on this over the last twenty seven years and all they care about is how they can hook wow fans to gaming. You would think they would care about the fans that have played for years.

Thier remarks about wanting to please all the fans in bull crap all they want is more money that is why they keep rebooting. Well I am not going to buy fifth, I will jion the new wave of people that just down load the PDF. maybe I need to be like my friends and stay locked in 2nd.

Come on WOTC take care of your fans and stop rebooting, just fix the issues.

The incredible, edible Phil
10-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Power of Faerun for 3rd edition had a interesting, if convoluted, system of rulership based on leadership score. While not perfect, it did attempt to cover mercantile, religious, military, and nobility as ways to power with a brief chapter on establishing your own settlement. It's a good read all and all and does have some feats that play well into that system.

Right now, the best bet I think is if WOTC would try a kickstarter program to "reboot" any campaign settings and see how that flies.

Vicente
10-05-2012, 05:16 PM
I didn't know about Power of Faerun, I'll try to get that book.

About Kickstarting Birthright, I am torn: I would love it, but I know I would go bankrupt in the process :p

10-07-2012, 03:17 AM
I'd be willing to donate monies for a "kickstart" of Planescape, Ravenloft, Birthright, and any of the spinoff Forgotten realms settings myself.

BRadmin
10-07-2012, 09:49 PM
we could try to convince Rich Baker to pick it up since he is no longer working for wotc.
I might have his personal email lying around, although it might have been lost over the years

10-08-2012, 02:40 AM
That would be great if he'd be open to taking it over or at least effect a revival of some kind. However, I wouldn't hold my breath as there's no real way of knowing how well it might be received from a monetizing perspective.

Vicente
10-08-2012, 03:56 PM
I read just today in Grognardia that WoTC is adding 2e reprints! (they already did 1e and 3.5e ones).

http://grognardia.blogspot.com/2012/10/more-reprints-on-way.html

It's not a new edition of BR, but at least maybe they will think about reprinting settings if things sell well enough :)

Thelandrin
10-12-2012, 08:51 PM
That might go some tiny way towards making it up to the fans when they yanked all their AD&D PDFs from all over the Internet in an apparent attempt to force people to play 4th Ed.

Gustav
10-12-2012, 11:18 PM
I would not buy any 4e products
I hated what they did to Forgotten Realms in 4e and I did not like the 4e rules. It was to much focus on tactical situations with powers as if it was a wow game and not enough focus on character building and roleplaying.
4e made me massively decrease the amount of roleplaying books I would buy

Sorontar
10-13-2012, 05:09 AM
That might go some tiny way towards making it up to the fans when they yanked all their AD&D PDFs from all over the Internet in an apparent attempt to force people to play 4th Ed.

What's this 4th Ed thing? Has it got anything to do with roleplaying? Where's my +1 zimmerframe vs petrification.

It will be interesting what they end up with in 5th Ed. They obviously misread the market for 4th ed. They lost some of the traditional players when trying to win new players. For any old world, I suspect it will be better to rebirth them, a bit like we have for Cerilia, rather than setting it 500 years later or earlier. That way, you can have the same setting and characters that players love, but new rules on how to play with them. It will also help existing fan work to still be playable.

Sorontar

Vicente
10-13-2012, 06:28 AM
I know myself that I'm going to buy the 2e reprints (even if I have nice copies of the old ones, the 1e reprints were very nice), and the adventure hardcovers are very sweet, searching for the separated adventures is sometimes a pain depending on which series it is.

Thelandrin
10-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Buying the GDQ series in hardback would be pretty awesome, I'd have to say. :)