PDA

View Full Version : Should irdeggman step down?

irdeggman
02-08-2005, 01:01 PM
Based on recent discussions it seems like this is a good question to ask. There seems to be an increasing number of posts that express questions (or at least infer them) on this subject. It was also something that was never decided publically and probably should be.

The Jew
02-08-2005, 01:49 PM
This project will probably wither on the vince without Duane. I may not agree with all his rulings, but I have no doubt we are far better off as whole thanks to him.

Arjan
02-08-2005, 02:45 PM
I know its taking its tol, and the credits aren't always as nice as you like them to be.
But i can understand you poll... unfortunately if you step down the project will be on its way down leading to an inevitable death.

So far many have come and go from the group, i surely dont know anyone who can be as dedicated as you have been for the last couple of years.

i honor your decission.

Arjan

irdeggman
02-08-2005, 04:42 PM
Just to make some clarifications. I am not leaving the project, unless specifically asked to.

What this is really about is that several people have voiced an opinion/comment in the past that we (publically) have never chosen a "leader" if you will. I prefere editor in chief, it removes the ownership and ego related issues of writing IMO. While this worked fine when it was jsut the develoment team (and we chooose Doom by the way - miss you Travis :( ) This project has moved a long way since then and it seems to me that it is time to make a formal choice.

Now this is everyone's chance to make a vote (at least on me).

We (before my time) chose moderators so I see this as no less important.

Regardless of the outcome I will still participate and write and support the project to the best of my abilities unless the editor in chief asks me not to.

These are what I see as the role of editor in chief (comments welcome on this by the way):

1. To coordinate the project and participating writers to ensure continuity.

2. To answers questions on clarification or point the questioner in the direction where he/she can find an answer.

3. To ensure the project meets and keeps to the project guidelines and philosophy as stated in the FAQ section. {This is important for consistency, IMO}

4. To review the work of particpating writers to check for editorials, consistencies, and obvious weaknesses (i.e., editing).

5. To coordinate with the Atlas team (or ensure there is coordination) to ensure consistency.

6. To recruit and/or approve particpating writers. {This is to ensure they are not people who don't really want to particpate but just get their name on the project or get theirown house rules in an "official" status} (The design philosophy addresses the house-rules issue)

7. Pretty much pick up the slack (This is the hardest part -that part about missing you I meant it Travis :()

The Jew
02-09-2005, 01:31 AM
So you're the "Editor in Chief". What will your powers be, and how will the general community be able to check and balance such powers. You claim that sanctions will require a vote, but what about wars. Yes, yes I know a wars requires our approval, but what about "police actions". How many of those will we have during your term!!! :D

Green Knight
02-09-2005, 08:12 AM
I think the BRCS process is entirely too democratic...if Duane has the will and dedication needed to drive the project home, he should pronounce himself Editor in Chief and get back to work.

All this polling and the need to get approval for every single detail isn't exactly making the BRCS any better. Duane and the rest of the team should certainly shop around for ideas and feedback, but as the people in charge THEY should get to decide what the BRCS will look like.

Just my 50 øre

B

irdeggman
02-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by The Jew@Feb 8 2005, 08:31 PM
So you're the "Editor in Chief". What will your powers be, and how will the general community be able to check and balance such powers. You claim that sanctions will require a vote, but what about wars. Yes, yes I know a wars requires our approval, but what about "police actions". How many of those will we have during your term!!! :D
To paraphrase "W";

This is a clear mandate, I've earned some equity here and will cash it in to immediately pass legislation to work on the real problems of the world - make my tax cuts permanent, fix Social Security immediately, balance the budget (I won't count the cost of homeland security and troops preparing to invade the Imperial City in the budget proposal), spread democracy throughout the world and of course implement a constitutional amendment to recognize that a marraige is between a man and a woman of the same race (we don't go for that elf-human interaction thing, its just plain unnatural and against the Book of Laws).

Arius Vistoon
02-09-2005, 12:36 PM
i voted no,

because, for me, us project will be progress more rapidely ( with no yoyo's effect ) if there are a "manager"/chief editor

and because he is the more qualified for this
( he formalizes our opinions while respecting an unchanging global charter (just uses the basis core'rules of D&D, no house-rules that serves the minority, and well on, keep intact the spirit of cerilia and D&D ))

edit :
i think i voted the opposed of my opinion....i think
( it's a mistake of course....I should sleep more :( )

RaspK_FOG
02-09-2005, 01:02 PM
Definitely not, Duane: you are one of the most important and working people around here; in fact, you do most of the work and drive this project on more than anyone else... I am sure the community is much better with you as a chief editor.

Angelbialaska
02-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Green Knight@Feb 9 2005, 09:12 AM
I think the BRCS process is entirely too democratic...if Duane has the will and dedication needed to drive the project home, he should pronounce himself Editor in Chief and get back to work.

All this polling and the need to get approval for every single detail isn't exactly making the BRCS any better. Duane and the rest of the team should certainly shop around for ideas and feedback, but as the people in charge THEY should get to decide what the BRCS will look like.

Just my 50 øre

B
I must actually agree with that.

IMO, I think the wisest path would be to create a BRCS. Then release it. Get some feedback and suggestions about what's good, what's bad and what doesn't work in actual RP situations. After that the team makes adjustments out from the suggestions that they think are fitting and release next edition. And then more feedback and suggestions, more fixings, next release. And in the end, when there appears to be no more flaws, the time has come for the release of version 1.0, where it can't be called a playtest/beta-version anymore.

epicsoul
02-09-2005, 04:52 PM
Voted no. Having direction is good. You provide that.

geeman
02-09-2005, 05:00 PM
At 02:25 PM 2/9/2005 +0100, you wrote:

>IMO, I think the wisest path would be to create a BRCS. Then release it.

>Get some feedback and suggestions about what`s good, what`s bad and what

>doesn`t work in actual RP situations. After that the team makes

>adjustments out from the suggestions that they think are fitting and

>release next edition. And then more feedback and suggestions, more

>fixings, next release. And in the end, when there appears to be no more

>flaws, the time has come for the release of version 1.0, where it can`t be

>called a playtest/beta-version anymore.

My personal ideal would be that some sort of wiki-Birthright site gets put

up that can be added to or modified as the participants like. Really,

there`s no reason why there couldn`t be an official document and a version

of that document that is more changeable--and complete. As, for instance,

the question of whether there should be more than one type of noble PC

class, or another version of the paladin of Neserie. Such interpretations

would be apt for a web/electronic format.

Just thought I`d throw that out there....

Gary

Benjamin
02-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Considering that there are 2 "no" votes, both of which were explained as meaning "we support you in charge" and are thus incorrectly placed...

I think the unanimous feeling (to this point) is that you are our Great Captain.

Lead on, Captain! My sword (pen/keyboard) is behind you!!!

irdeggman
02-10-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Benjamin@Feb 9 2005, 12:21 PM

Lead on, Captain! My sword (pen/keyboard) is behind you!!!
I am not all that certain that is the right location to have a supporting sword. :lol:

RaspK_FOG
02-10-2005, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by irdeggman+Feb 10 2005, 04:25 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (irdeggman @ Feb 10 2005, 04:25 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Benjamin@Feb 9 2005, 12:21 PM

Lead on, Captain&#33; My sword (pen/keyboard) is behind you&#33;&#33;&#33;
I am not all that certain that is the right location to have a supporting sword. :lol: [/b][/quote]
:lol:

I guess that was meant more like: "Me and my sword (/pen/keyboard) stand ready right behind you&#33;&#33;&#33;"

It could be worse; a non-native english speaker might as well have made the unfortunate mistake of typing: "My sword (/pen/keyboard) is right on your behind&#33;&#33;&#33;"

In any case, you R the captain here, Duane, and you deserve it; things would have been so much more for the worse if you were missing, and you still strive onward.

Lysander
02-10-2005, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Benjamin@Feb 9 2005, 12:21 PM
Considering that there are 2 "no" votes, both of which were explained as meaning "we support you in charge" and are thus incorrectly placed...

I think the unanimous feeling (to this point) is that you are our Great Captain.

Lead on, Captain&#33; My sword (pen/keyboard) is behind you&#33;&#33;&#33;
I&#39;m going to hold my vote, but NOT because I don&#39;t have an opinion on this (My reading of the question would make a no answer - no, Irdeggman should NOT step down, we&#39;re going in the right direction. As for politics: Should I send him the boxed set - or better yet, ask to get in that game? (http://putative.typepad.com/putative/images/blog_bushplaysdnd-thumb.jpg) :lol: :lol:

I don&#39;t post much (and have 6700+ emails in the "Birthright" mailbox :blink: ) but that had nothing to do with the forum or the people working on the update. Rather, it&#39;s only been in the last 2 months that I have finally decided that I&#39;m now more than 50% in favor of 3.xE (the new Unearthed Arcana helped assuage the loss of Skills & Powers), so before now, I didn&#39;t have much meaningful to add in the way of mechanics.

Irdeggman, Arjan, and the powers that be, please add a point to whichever choice above best represents "Keep Irdeggman, or better yet, promote him&#33;"

Lysander
Defender of the Second Edition
Junior Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D (http://worldsofdnd.com/forum/index.php)
(Raesene, I&#39;m sorry I missed you over there&#33;)

Bokey
02-10-2005, 09:41 PM

All this polling and the need to get approval for every single detail isn&#39;t exactly making the BRCS any better. Duane and the rest of the team should certainly shop around for ideas and feedback, but as the people in charge THEY should get to decide what the BRCS will look like.

I agree completely with this statement. Irdeggman and company do all of the work, they should have some influence over the direction that the BRCS takes. I don&#39;t always agree with irdeggman and company; but then again, I don&#39;t always agree with the popular vote either. If I was in their shoes, it would drive me crazy if I did something, and had to do it over just because a couple people didn&#39;t like it. Hell, a few of Forgotten Realm junkies could come in and completely shut the process down with neah votes. I am not suggesting that this is the case ( I am not that paranoid), but lets give these guy&#39;s some freedom&#33;

I am in favor of appointing a few people as a ruling counsel and letting them run with the project. When they finish it, if you personally don&#39;t like it, change it to fit your campaign (which if you are like me, you will do anyway, no matter how good it is). What do you all think? Should we take one final pole and hand over the project to those that have put in the blood, sweat, and tears (and more importantly time) in to seeing birthright live into 3.5e? I think we should.

Somebody start a poll&#33;&#33; :lol: Ironic, isn&#39;t it? A poll to take away our right to vote in polls. :lol:

Green Knight
02-10-2005, 10:40 PM
I`ll drink to that!

-----Original Message-----

[mailto:BIRTHRIGHT-L@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM] On Behalf Of Bokey

Sent: 10. februar 2005 22:41

To: BIRTHRIGHT-L@ORACLE.WIZARDS.COM

Subject: Re: Should irdeggman step down? [36#2991]

This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

You can view the entire thread at:

http://www.birthright.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=36&t=2991

Bokey wrote:

------------ QUOTE ----------

I think the BRCS process is entirely too democratic...if Duane has the

will and dedication needed to drive the project home, he should

pronounce himself Editor in Chief and get back to work.

All this polling and the need to get approval for every single detail

isn`t exactly making the BRCS any better. Duane and the rest of the team

should certainly shop around for ideas and feedback, but as the people

in charge THEY should get to decide what the BRCS will look like.

-----------------------------

I agree completely with this statement. Irdeggman and company do all of

the work, they should have some influence over the direction that the

BRCS takes. I don`t always agree with irdeggman and company; but then

again, I don`t always agree with the popular vote either. If I was in

their shoes, it would drive me crazy if I did something, and had to do

it over just because a couple people didn`t like it. Hell, a few of

Forgotten Realm junkies could come in and completely shut the process

down with neah votes. I am not suggesting that this is the case ( I am

not that paranoid), but lets give these guy`s some freedom!

I am in favor of appointing a few people as a ruling counsel and letting

them run with the project. When they finish it, if you personally don`t

like it, change it to fit your campaign (which if you are like me, you

will do anyway, no matter how good it is). What do you all think?

Should we take one final pole and hand over the project to those that

have put in the blood, sweat, and tears (and more importantly time) in

to seeing birthright live into 3.5e? I think we should.

Somebody start a poll!! :lol: Ironic, isn`t it? A poll to take away our

right to vote in polls. :lol:

Birthright-l Archives:

http://oracle.wizards.com/archives/birthright-l.html

doom
02-11-2005, 03:40 AM
On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 05:42:57PM +0100, irdeggman wrote:

> What this is really about is that several people have voiced an

> opinion/comment in the past that we (publically) have never chosen a

> "leader" if you will. I prefere editor in chief, it removes the

> ownership and ego related issues of writing IMO. While this worked

> fine when it was jsut the develoment team (and we chooose Doom by the

> way - miss you Travis :( ) This project has moved a long way since then

> and it seems to me that it is time to make a formal choice.

I miss me too. ;) I wouldn`t give up fatherhood for all the gems in

Baruk-Azik, but it doesn`t leave much time for hobbies, let alone

wrasling with the 1000lbs gorilla that is the BRCS.

Duane has been doing a fantastic job in a role that is largely

thankless, often tedious, and all too often frustrating. In my opinion

there isn`t anyone else who would be able to rival his trifecta of

overall gaming knowledge (VERY strong), dedication (which has weathered

the course of years), and cool-headedness (both rare and invaluable).

Some individuals may be stronger in one (or perhaps even two) areas, but

no one else can touch him in combined score.

Keep up the good work, Duane!

- Doom

Mark_Aurel
02-11-2005, 09:34 AM
In a word: No.

Doing this stuff takes a lot of dedication and passion, and I strongly doubt there is anyone around that have the sort of passion and dedication that keeping at this takes.

OsricIlien
02-12-2005, 12:11 AM
I added a dissenting voice. Not becuase I belive that anyone else could do a better job but idfeggman&#39;s objectivity is sometimes a little off-beat. All I&#39;m saying is that its hard to change your mind about certain ideas. Sometimes you hold onto an outdated idea and embrace it as(seemingly) as Gospel.

Now that I&#39;ve said that.
[SIZE=14]I Think that you should be made an official editor in cheif.

You work very hard for this project and that is obvious. Thank you for everything you do. With out the hard work of the people in charge of this project, we wouldnt be this close to having a final project. Obviously my vote will not remove you from the post you are in currently but I belive that there should always be a devil&#39;s advocate.

Keep working as hard as you have been&#33;&#33;&#33;

irdeggman
02-23-2005, 10:52 AM
I&#39;m closing this poll now. Here are the results:

Should irdeggman step down as chief editor of the BRCS?
1. Yes [ 4 ] [12.90%]
2. No [ 23 ] [74.19%]
3. Abstain [ 4 ] [12.90%]
Total Votes: 31

"You like me, you really like me." Sally Fields when accepting her first Oscar. (I think it was for Places in the Heart).