PDA

View Full Version : Dragons of Aebrynis

Green Knight
01-17-2005, 10:00 AM
Hi,

BR made away with the old chromatic/metallic dragons of common DnD, and instead introduced the Cerilian Dragon.

To me the name implies that Aebrynis may well be home to other dragon varieties as well. I have a couple of rough ideas (and not very original at that) and would like to hear some other suggestions and/or stats.

Cerilian Dragons - Found mainly in Cerilia. Winged dragons.
Adurian Dragons - Found mainly in Aduria. Looks a lot like their Cerilian counerparts, but are wing-less "land-wyrms". They are good swimmers, climbers and burrowers though.
Feathered Dragons - Found mainly in Tollanar. Winged dragons that look and feel more like coutal than Cerilian dragons.
Oriental Dragons - Found mainly in Djapar (OBR part). Just your "average" oriental dragon.

B

Raesene Andu
01-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Given how fast and far a Dragon can fly, why can't there just be one single species of Dragon found across the entire world?

Green Knight
01-17-2005, 10:58 AM
No particular reason. If you want, you can have Cerilian dragons all over Aebrynis or maybe just have them in Cerilia.

However, I'd still like to hear some other ideas as well, and the major reason for that is that the Cerilian dragon reminds me altogether too much of an European-only-style dragon. So for an Oriental BR setting, it might be cooler to have Oriental dragons...and so on.

B

graham anderson
01-17-2005, 01:20 PM
I think that the cerilia dragons have a lot of the oriental dragon in them a lot more than the old mettalic dragons anyway.

Green Knight
01-17-2005, 01:58 PM
A bit perhaps, but I still think that the Cerilian dragon is pretty far from the cool lung dragons of OA...

B

geeman
01-17-2005, 04:40 PM
At 11:35 AM 1/17/2005 +0100, Raesene Andu wrote:

> Given how fast and far a Dragon can fly, why can`t there just be one

> single species of Dragon found across the entire world?

That`s an interesting point.

IMO, "Cerilian" dragons--or just dragons for the BR setting--should be

handled as completely unique creatures. There should not be a "type" or

"species" of them in the sense that exists in the current incarnation of

D&D, nor should the necessarily be attuned to or categorized by anything as

small scale (to them) as continental barriers for their biology and powers.

On the whole there are not a lot of dragons in the BR setting if we are to

use the Cerilian number as representative. There may not be more than

fifty, certainly not more than a hundred on Aebrynis. As such, they could

be handled on a case by case basis with, perhaps, some general descriptions

of their powers and abilities rather than a set of monster write ups.

Gary

Osprey
01-17-2005, 05:41 PM
For OBR, especially for a Chinese-type setting, I would use the dragons from Oriental Adventures (& Draconomican) as published. This allows for a lot of ready-made stuff that can be used easily. Since the Lung dragons of OA are also spirit subtypes, I would give all dragons, or at least those of a minimum age category (young adult?), the power to cast Shadow Portal once per day, allowing passage between the spirit world (SW) and the physical realm.

In Japanese mythology, there are 2 types of Dragons: the great dragons that are actually Kami of the ocean (Ryu-no-Kami and the Ryujin), and the Tatsu. The Tatsu is the greatest of the scaled creatures of Nippon, ranging from 7 to 50' in length, with bony spines along its back and a head festooned with barbles and spines. Their motivations are obscure (may be of any alignment): some are devout adherents of Bushido, others are bullies and braggarts. Tatsu may run through the air as easily as they can on the ground or under water. Tatsu vary in size and strength according tot heir age and diet. Most Tatsu have one or occasionally two special powers, which may include: a fiery breath weapon (2d8 per age category), a lethal poison spittle (ranged/bite contact poison, CON damage), a noxious cloud breath weapon (unconscious on failed save, sickened on successful save), sorcery (1 wu-jen or shugenja spell per age category, spell level may not exceed that age category), polymorph into human form, control scaled creatures in the tatsu's vicinity, or a gaze attack (limited use) that dominates the victim if they fail a Will save.

Geeman was right: Cerilian dragons do share some similarities with Asian ones. :) Except for their very European appearance...the wings, it's the wings...

dragonfriend
01-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Where is this Oriental Birthright? For my future campaign i have decide to use the Rokugan campaign setting for an oriental continent in BR.

dragonfriend
01-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Where is this Oriental Birthright? For my future campaign i have decide to use the Rokugan campaign setting for an oriental continent in BR.

Green Knight
01-20-2005, 08:52 AM
You can find the world-map in the download section. The BR OA setting is located on the southern part of the continent of Djapar and the big island-continent between Djapar and Aduria.

B

dragonfriend
01-20-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Green Knight@Jan 20 2005, 08:52 AM
You can find the world-map in the download section. The BR OA setting is located on the southern part of the continent of Djapar and the big island-continent between Djapar and Aduria.

B
Thank you...but, the maps section is empty. Do you have a link to the world map

by

Dragonfriend

Green Knight
01-20-2005, 09:44 AM
Weird. Must have gone missing after Arjan changed the download section. I'll either get him to fix it or juts upload them again. I'll post the link as soon as that is done.

B