PDA

View Full Version : Traverser of Shadows

RaspK_FOG
01-13-2005, 11:50 AM
The halflings were once a native people of the Shadow World and are some of the few who can walk upon the lands beyond Aebrynnis to this day, despite the difficulties they face doing so. Still, the halflings are, in their own, far aways from home and they know it. Some of them, however, have crossed the veil of shadows.
These halflings, pulled by their homeland and a deeper connection their brethren has with it, learn how to manipulate the Seeming and can produce remarkable feats by tapping unto its endless potential for constant change.
Hit Die: d8.

Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +4.
Feats: Endurance, Self-Sufficient, Shadow Walker.
Race: Halfling.
Skills: Knowledge (Shadow World) 5 ranks, Survival 5 ranks.

Class Skills:
The Traverser of Shadows's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Craft (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Heal (Wis), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (Shadow World) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Wis), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Rope (Dex).
Skill Points at Each Level: 6 + Int modifier.

Class Features:
All of the following are features of the Traverser of Shadows prestige class.

Base Attack Bonus: Average (3/4 HD).

Base Saves: High Fortitude and Will, Poor Reflex.

Weapon and Armour Proficiency: Traversers of Shadows are proficient with the club, crossbow (light or heavy), dagger (any type), dart, mace (light or heavy), morningstar, quarterstaff, sap, shortbow (normal), and shortsword. Traversers of Shadows are proficient with padded, and leather armour (normal or studded), and with light shields.

Hide in the Seeming (Su): Manipulating the very Seeming, a Traverser of Shadows can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as he is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, he can hide himself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind; he cannot, however, hide in his own shadow. According to the proximity of the Shadow World, there are circumstance modifiers to this Hide check:

+2 in Winter
+2 in deserted/uncivilised areas
+5 at night
-5 in the day
-2 in settled/civilised areas
-2 in Summer

Bonus feats: A Traverser of Shadows gains Shadow Guide as a bonus feat at 2nd level; he also gains Improved Shadow Guide as a bonus feat at 8th level.

Seeming Shadow (Su): At 3rd level, giving shape and form to the Seeming, a Traverser of Shadows can summon a shadow, an undead shade (see the monstrous entry for the shadow's statistics). Unlike a normal shadow, this shadow's alignment is one step on each axis closer to his alignment, and the creature cannot create spawn. The summoned shadow cannot be turned, rebuked, or commanded by any third party due to it being a creation of the Seeming. This shadow serves as a companion and can communicate with the Traversor; however, the shadow's perspective is skewed and perverted to that of the Shadow World. Every third level gained by the Traverser adds +2 HD (and the requisite base attack and base save bonus increases) to his shadow companion. For example, a 9th-level Traverser of Shadows can have a shadow with 6 HD.
If a shadow companion is destroyed, or the Traverser chooses to dismiss it, the latter must attempt a DC 15 Fortitude save. If the saving throw fails, he loses 200 experience points per class level. A successful saving throw reduces the loss by half, to 100 XP per class level. The Traverser's XP total can never go below 0 as the result of a shadow's dismissal or destruction. A destroyed or dismissed shadow companion cannot be replaced for 30 days.

Seeming Mettle (Su): Hardened by the experiences in the Shadow World and through his ancestral connection to it, the Traverser gains the supernatural ability to shrug off any effects that would otherwise harm him there. At 4th level, if he makes a successful Will save that would normally reduce the effect, he suffers no effect at all as long as the Traverser is in the Shadow World. Only spells and effects that are halved or affect their victim partially or have similar entries on a successful saving throw can be negated by this ability.
At 7th level, the ability also affects similar successful Fortitude saving throws made in the Shadow World.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 4th level, a Traverser gains the ability to react to danger before his senses would normally allow him to do so. He retains his Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if he is caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, he still loses his Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilised.

Improved Shadow Walker (Ex): More attuned to the Shadow World as he delved in its dark recesses, the Traverser gains the ability to step into it with more ease than he did; he receives a bonus on all checks made to step into or tap unto the Shadow World (including the Hide in the Seeming supernatural ability) that is equal to half his class level.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): At 7th level, a Traverser can no longer be flanked; he can react opponents on opposite sides of him as easily as he can react to a single attacker. This defence denies others the ability to sneak attack the Traverser by flanking him, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the target has Traverser levels.
If a character already has uncanny dodge (see above) from a second class, the character automatically gains improved uncanny dodge instead, and the levels from the classes that grant uncanny dodge stack to determine the minimum level a rogue must be to flank a character.

Shadow Walk (Sp): A Traverser of Shadows gains the ability to cast Shadow Walk as a spell-like ability once per week at 10th level.

1st level: Hide in the Seeming
2nd level: Bonus feat - Shadow Guide
3rd level: Seeming Shadow
4th level: Seeming Mettle - Will, Uncanny Dodge
5th level: Improved Shadow Walker
6th level: Seeming Shadow +2 HD
7th level: Seeming Mettle - Fortitude, Improved Uncanny Dodge
8th level: Bonus feat - Improved Shadow Guide
9th level: Seeming Shadow +4 HD
10th level: Shadow Walk 1/week

Raesene Andu
01-13-2005, 12:46 PM
A very interesting prestige class. One thing I would add (seeing that you have tied this class to the seeming) is to give some sort of seeming ability (maybe +1/level or something like that). Halfings native to the Shadow World gain at the very least a slight seeming score (1-5) and while halfings in Cerilia have lost this power, returning to the Shadow World may awaken it again.

RaspK_FOG
01-13-2005, 01:19 PM
I rechecked the old material and think that this is entirely possible (if not even desirable); however, this calls for more information on how Seeming scores and perception scores are going to be handled by the Atlas; if they are to be used, I can also provide additional spells (like Pierce the Veil, a spell that would increase one's perception score while being of lower level than True Seeing, or Mask of Shadows, a spell that would apply one's Seeming score as a bonus on Disguise checks). I strongly believe that, should we use these old terms, Wisdom should affect your Perception, while your Charisma should affect your Seeming.

It might even be possible for halflings to gain some Seeming powers if they remain in the Shadow World for an amount of time (something that should be based on Intelligence, I think).

Note that the prestige class is also less roguish than what I initially had in mind. Also, while a 7th-level rogue can take the class, so can a character with 3 ranger levels and 2 levels in any class that has Knowledge (Shadow World) as a class skill; and these are not the only builds that allow a halfling to take the prestige class.

RaspK_FOG
01-27-2005, 08:29 AM
I would highly appreciate additional comments on how you perceive the Traverser; does noone else have an opinion on this?

irdeggman
01-27-2005, 11:34 AM
I like the general feel/concept. The prerequisites are too low however: a 1 bard/3 ranger could qualify as well as a 1 wizard/3 ranger or scion of 1 Basaia/ 3 ranger.

Need to include a description of the hide in plain sight ability also.

And yes we need more on the seeming. If the Atlas group working on the Shadow World (yeah I know that is waay later) gives me something it can be put into Chap 8. Probably a decent place since like other issues it crosses mutiple categories. As an alternative to the Atlas team coming up with something we can start a thread fordiscussin of how to incorporate the seeming in the the 3.5 rules/mechanics.

Raesene Andu
01-27-2005, 10:10 PM
It wasn't planned for anything on the seeming to go into the Atlas. That doesn't mean that it can't include something, just that it wasn't planned, so nothing was included.

irdeggman
01-28-2005, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by RaspK_FOG@Jan 13 2005, 08:19 AM

Note that the prestige class is also less roguish than what I initially had in mind. Also, while a 7th-level rogue can take the class, so can a character with 3 ranger levels and 2 levels in any class that has Knowledge (Shadow World) as a class skill; and these are not the only builds that allow a halfling to take the prestige class.
Actually it is possible for a character with 3 levels of ranger and 1 level of a class with knowledge (Shadow World) as a class skill (e.g., bard, wizard or scion - Basai).

Hence the prerequisites should be raised to eliminate this possibility.

RaspK_FOG
01-28-2005, 01:33 PM
If you read carefully, you can see that I changed the wording of "Hide in plain sight" to "Hide in the Seeming" in the descriptive text.

As for the prerequisites, a couple of ranks in other skills and/or, more probably, a +4 BAB might be needed; adding an additional feat might be a good idea... What do you think? I don't want to just start adding myself!

irdeggman
01-28-2005, 02:50 PM
If you read carefully, you can see that I changed the wording of "Hide in plain sight" to "Hide in the Seeming" in the descriptive text.

But not the table of level based abilities. At 1st level it still says Hide in Plain Sight. That is what I was referring to. People generally go to the table first and then the text.

As for the prerequisites, a couple of ranks in other skills and/or, more probably, a +4 BAB might be needed; adding an additional feat might be a good idea... What do you think? I don't want to just start adding myself!

I generally like the class and what you've done. It is your baby, either a +4 BAB or 8 ranks in Knowledge (Shadow World) would suffice for prequisites IMO. I generally don't like forcing too many feats as a prerequisites tough. The Knowledge (Shadow World) is probably better at capturing what the class is about better. But it is your call.

RaspK_FOG
01-31-2005, 05:26 PM
Call me a fool, for I forgot to correct the error; someone knock me on the head!

I would also prefer the Knowledge (Shadow World) 8 ranks requirement over and above other solutions... if not for the fact that some of the more survival oriented oriented classes have nothing to do with the various Knowledge skills, and thus such a requirement would make it inappropriate for most other than bards and wizards (or characters multiclassed to either), since you must be of the 13th character level to raise a cross-class skill to 8 ranks, which is not a good idea in my opinion...

I don't want to effectively force an unneeded multiclass issue on any who might be interested in the class; for this reason, I believe that the ranks in Knowledge (Shadow World) requirement will remain at 5 (which still requires of you to be of at least the 7th-level if you do not have the skill as a class skill), and that a BAB: +4 requirement is added.

I still think of your opinion as important to me and my work, so I would like to ask you if you have any arguments against what I pointed out.

irdeggman
01-31-2005, 07:42 PM
I would also prefer the Knowledge (Shadow World) 8 ranks requirement over and above other solutions... if not for the fact that some of the more survival oriented oriented classes have nothing to do with the various Knowledge skills, and thus such a requirement would make it inappropriate for most other than bards and wizards (or characters multiclassed to either), since you must be of the 13th character level to raise a cross-class skill to 8 ranks, which is not a good idea in my opinion...

But only for a straight class character without Knowledge (Shadow World) on one of their class's class skill list. If at least one of the classes a character has levels in has a skill on its class skill list then that skill is always treated as a class skill with regards to the max ranks a character can have (although the cost varies depending on which class level has just been gained).

Don't assume that people won't be looking for ways to gain a prestige class as quickly as possible - they will ;) , it is the nature of the game. That is the reason to ensure that no multiclass combination will allow a character to qualify early.

I don't want to effectively force an unneeded multiclass issue on any who might be interested in the class; for this reason, I believe that the ranks in Knowledge (Shadow World) requirement will remain at 5 (which still requires of you to be of at least the 7th-level if you do not have the skill as a class skill), and that a BAB: +4 requirement is added.

I haven't found a way to get there quicker than 5th level with a +4 BAB and 5 ranks in Knowledge (Shadow World). The classes that have Knowledge (Shadow World) as a class skill don't have a good BAB. IMO I'd drop the Fort Save bonus prereq though - just to simplify the list some. Otherwise the list of prereqs gets pretty lengthy if you know what I mean.

RaspK_FOG
02-01-2005, 09:17 AM
I know what you mean, but the idea is that even nonspellcasters should be able to get access to the class (though I have to admit that a bard/ranger or magician/ranger is the simplest means to get there); in any case, I will see what works out best and do any of the following: Regarding Base Fortitude Bonus: Keep the requirement.
Drop the requirement.
Regarding other Requirements: Impose a "Base Attack Bonus: +4." requirement.
Raise the skill requirement to: "Skills: Knowledge (Shadow World) 8 ranks."

RaspK_FOG
02-01-2005, 02:33 PM
I just realised (talk about lacking perception!) that the Base Fortitude Bonus requirement of +3 is too much for non-multiclassed characters... You must reach the 9th-level in order to get it if you do not have any levels in a Fortitude-high class. But, this also opens up a new choice: I could raise the requirement to +4 and require that the character has at least 6 ranks in Knowledge (Shadow World) and Survival. This makes the class more of the survivalist I have in mind and also enforces a bit of a multi-classing between survivalistic and knowledgeable classes. This way I need not impose a BAB requirement which, in the end, does not seem to fit the class very much, even if a high BAB is essential to take care of yourself.

irdeggman
02-01-2005, 04:36 PM
The Fort sav bonus of +4 forces at least a 5th level character - meets the standard. A character with a Good Fort save gets there at 4th level but still can't meet the knowlede (Shadow World) 6 ranks until 9th level.

A multiclass survivalist (e.g., ranger) and knowledge (Shadow World) (e.g., bard, wizard, scion of Basai) can get there at 5th level.

Works for me and captures the feel.

Note that a straight class character still won't be eligible until 8th or 9th level, depending on the class. This was something you were concerned with, but Ireally don't see any way to tailor this so a single class can get there at 5th level and still maintain its unique feel.

The Jew
02-01-2005, 05:40 PM
What about

+4 fort, +4 ref
+5 base attack
endurance, shadow walker
Knowledge (shadow world) 2 ranks

The range now becomes the preeminent class, able to take it at 6th level. While a ranger/rogue multi-class can get it by 7th level.

irdeggman
02-03-2005, 11:17 AM
I tend to side with Rasp on the importance of Knowledge (Shadow World) for this class and dropping the rank prerequisite to a mere 2 just seems to be saying it is not important at all.

Remember when developing a prestige class it is not about enhancing another class but about creating something unique with a strong theme to it. A shadow ranger is not quite unique enough, IMO.

The Jew
02-03-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by irdeggman@Feb 3 2005, 07:17 AM
I tend to side with Rasp on the importance of Knowledge (Shadow World) for this class and dropping the rank prerequisite to a mere 2 just seems to be saying it is not important at all.

Remember when developing a prestige class it is not about enhancing another class but about creating something unique with a strong theme to it. A shadow ranger is not quite unique enough, IMO.
In principle I agree with you but I see two problems. In order to take the prestige class at a reasonalbe level, a character will have to mix magic and warrior type classes. This creates a jack of all trades, master of none type which I find to be quite weak in D&D. Rogue/Ranger can work nicely, Wizard/Ranger not as much. So to be a straight magic user or warrior means this class in not available tell 8th or 9th level. In forgotten realms this would not be a big deal as probably over half the population in 8th level or higher, but in birthright with its low level emphasis its a problem. Especially as this is the Halflings racial prestige class.

What if we were to alter the halfling race. In general this would be a horrible idea to alter a race to allow for a prestige class, but I think it makes sense in this case. Humans get certain skills as class skills for 1st level, what if halfings were able to take knowledge (shadow world) as a class skill on the first level. the knowledge skill could then be 6 ranks, while still allowing for warrior types to get it at 6th level.

irdeggman
02-03-2005, 04:27 PM
In principle I agree with you but I see two problems. In order to take the prestige class at a reasonalbe level, a character will have to mix magic and warrior type classes. This creates a jack of all trades, master of none type which I find to be quite weak in D&D. Rogue/Ranger can work nicely, Wizard/Ranger not as much. So to be a straight magic user or warrior means this class in not available tell 8th or 9th level. In forgotten realms this would not be a big deal as probably over half the population in 8th level or higher, but in birthright with its low level emphasis its a problem. Especially as this is the Halflings racial prestige class.

Or a scion of Basai.

What if we were to alter the halfling race. In general this would be a horrible idea to alter a race to allow for a prestige class, but I think it makes sense in this case. Humans get certain skills as class skills for 1st level, what if halfings were able to take knowledge (shadow world) as a class skill on the first level. the knowledge skill could then be 6 ranks, while still allowing for warrior types to get it at 6th level.

Yup I agree this is a terrible idea. Cerlian halflings are already pushing the no EL "limit' as a race, adding class skills to mix would push them over IMO.

Most prestige classes are set up that there is a single (or a ver few) best class combinations that will get the character there by 5th level and others that won't get there until 8th (or so). I don't see anything wrong (except from a powergamer status) in having players who wish to take this prestige class focus their character's class progression such that they can get there. Again, as someone has stated before a prestige class is supposed to a prestige and not for everyone, make the requirements too easy and everyone will take it.

I'm not all tat certain that Knowledge (Shadow World) should be a class skill for all halflings anyway. Those born on Aebrynis and are more than a generation removed from being born in the Shadow World would be less likely to have any better grasp of the Shadow World than would an Anuirean. Now if there was a Shadow World version of the halfling that would be an entirely different matter.

The Jew
02-03-2005, 07:48 PM
I don't have access to the BRCS right now, what is the halflings prefered class?

RaspK_FOG
02-04-2005, 12:51 AM
Rogue, of course... In any case, I think we are in agreement that the current version of the prestige class works fine, right?

The Jew
02-04-2005, 04:40 AM
Originally posted by RaspK_FOG@Feb 3 2005, 08:51 PM
Rogue, of course... In any case, I think we are in agreement that the current version of the prestige class works fine, right?
So under the current version the halfing takes a level in magic user (unless they are a scion of Basiai), and then 4 levels in ranger. Except for the Basiai exception they will start taking a 20% experience penalty after their 2nd ranger level, on top of already being a rather weak 3rd level character after splitting their levels such. I try not to powergame, but I also prefer having characters which aren't a drag on the party and can be effective.

This is your baby Rasp, and in most respects a beautiful baby it is, but I do think that their is a problem.

RaspK_FOG
02-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Or a 5th-level (bard/wizard/whatever)/2nd-level fighter, or, for simplicity's sake, take one of the many 1st-level-only feats that allows you to take a skill as a class skill... If you really want to get there faster, you can do it a number of ways; what I find irritating is that you got stuck with the idea of having many ranger levels: rogues are survivalists, bards know how to take care of themselves, etc... Supposedly speaking, a halfling cleric of Avani/Ruornil (they both have the Knowledge domain) might well be the best candidate for the class and can also take it without multiclassing at 6th-level... :P

The Jew
02-04-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by RaspK_FOG@Feb 4 2005, 06:05 AM
Or a 5th-level (bard/wizard/whatever)/2nd-level fighter, or, for simplicity's sake, take one of the many 1st-level-only feats that allows you to take a skill as a class skill... If you really want to get there faster, you can do it a number of ways; what I find irritating is that you got stuck with the idea of having many ranger levels: rogues are survivalists, bards know how to take care of themselves, etc... Supposedly speaking, a halfling cleric of Avani/Ruornil (they both have the Knowledge domain) might well be the best candidate for the class and can also take it without multiclassing at 6th-level... :P
One of the requirements is 6 ranks in survival. Barbarian, Druid and ranger are the only classes which have that as a class skill. So I am assuming that one of those 3 classes has to be the core of any combination to be qualified below level 9. Druid doesn't have the right feel since since the shadow world has become a warped caricature of all they hold dear, and I really just can't see a halfing rager.

The first power you have it is Hide in the Seeming, which leads me to believe that this was made for Rangers, rogues or bards, the ones who have the hide skill.

So I think I have strong grounds for assuming that ranger is going to be a core class of the PrC.

I don't actually recall the feat which gives access to a skill or knowledge, at least not within the BRCS or players handbook. I thought that the Atlas was not going to require any other books. That still would not help unless a character took 3 levels in ranger or a level in fighter as all of their 3 feats through level 6 are already used for PrC prerequisites.

The halfling cleric of Avani/Ruornil could not take it without multi-classing because of survival.

Please correct me if I am wrong but their will probably only be 1 PrC for halfings in the Atlas, certainly only 1 for halflings in the shadow world. So I want to make sure that this class can be accessed at a reasonable level, and doesn't require major sacrificies in strength to reach it.

I really do respect both the work you have put into this and your opionion trememdously Rasp and am not trying to piss you off. I just think that a well made PrC is going to be put to little use unless the prerequisites are altered to allow for a reasonably strengthed class progression to take it at 6th level. If you have no problem with this class rarely being taken prior to 10th level then I drop any of my complaints.

Raesene Andu
02-04-2005, 08:51 PM
You are correct, it is likely that there will only be 1 prestige class for halflings in the Atlas. That number isn't set though, if 2 really good classes are submitted and voted for, then they will be included. Space is not as major an issue when dealing with a pdf published document.

RaspK_FOG
02-05-2005, 10:47 AM
Sorry for my use of words; I spoke in a disrespectful tone which I did not have any real ground to use...

I suppose, then, that the following might be done: return to the idea of using BAB as the groundwork for limiting the character accessibility level instead of BFB (which is good, since I thought that the real min-maxer might as well take 1 level in 2 survivalistic classes and thus gain the BFB +4 quite easilly), and drop the ranks in skills back at 5 ranks (though I will be keeping both K(SW) and Survival). As I have mentioned earlier on, a BAB +4 is inaccessible before level 5 to anyone multiclassed with anything other than a warrior class (the characteristic +0 at 1st level), and the skill prerequisites are accessible even to straight classed 7th-level survivalistic characters?

I am posting these differences now; I would prefer keeping to the BFB requirement, but it seems that, while flavourful, it doesn't work as I would like (in my campaigns, it would, as I use a system which protects normal players from abusers and also backs less combatant classes a bit up). The reason I post is to get feddback, anyway, and to work out problematic areas.

RaspK_FOG
02-13-2008, 10:49 PM
Having a discussion about a possible BR campaign in the very near future, I remember this littl piece and wondered if anyone had anything else to say - the prerequisites are still a matter that bothers me.