PDA

View Full Version : Spiders Test...

Ulairi
01-18-2002, 05:22 AM
I saw the book at a used book store today, and was thinking about picking it up.

Have any of you read it, what is it about? (Well besides the obvious. ;) )

How good is it?

blitzmacher
01-18-2002, 10:35 PM
It's a pretty good book, and it gives you a good idea how the spider acts.

Raesene Andu
01-18-2002, 11:31 PM
I quite liked the book, espeically the spider sections. It could have been better, but it does give a good background to Diemed, Endier, and the Spiderfell. I bought it a while back, but I'm still looking for a copy of The Iron Throne, the only birthright product I don't have a copy of.

Ulairi
01-18-2002, 11:32 PM
Orginally posted by blitzmacher

I've got two. The only Brithright novels I own are War, and Iron Throne.

Arjan
01-18-2002, 11:51 PM
the only BR product i dont have is greatheart... so if any one finds it..

Ulairi
01-18-2002, 11:57 PM
Orginally posted by Ulairi

Orginally posted by blitzmacher

I've got two. The only Brithright novels I own are War, and Iron Throne.

The Used bookstore has like three copies of that. If you want, I could pick it up and mail it to you. (No charge, it's only $1.99)

Raesene Andu
01-19-2002, 12:25 AM
I would love a copy of Iron Throne, but I live in Australia, a little more difficult to get one over here.

morgramen
01-19-2002, 03:03 AM
The Birthright novels are all good IMO in the sense that you can gleam some information from them that helps you develop a sense of personality to each realm.

However, it is my opinion, that they are (with a few exceptions to be sure) a standard run of the mill WotC novel. They are fun to read, but are a bit... hmmmm how to say it wihtout coming across as a total fart... basic perhaps?? Light maybe?? Nothing of the calibre of writers like Jordan, and Martin for example.

The Iron Throne would have to be the single best WotC/TSR novel I ever read. War was also pretty good.

If you ever see it, grab a copy of Richard Bakers "CITY OF RAVENS" novel. It is wonderfully written and fun to read! It is essentially about a thief in the Imperial City, only cleverly disguised as a Forgotten Realms novel. Also, grab the Shadow Stone - another Birthirght in disguise novel.

Ulairi
01-19-2002, 03:10 AM
Orginally posted by Raesene Andu

Jordan, and Martin for example.

Am I the only one who thinks Jordan is a no talent hack? He uses the same formula, and the books have gone anywhere since #4-#5.

I love Martin...he's great. :)

I've read City of Ravens and loved it...it's was a lot of fun. Does "The Shadow Stone" sound like BR?

Raesene Andu
01-19-2002, 03:59 AM
The Shadow Stone was originally a Birthright noval, but was converted to FR after WotC stopped publishing BR material. When I read it, I keep replacing FR names with BR, in fact in a couple of times the editors didn't do a good enough job and the characters start talking about a tower instead of a pyramid and once one of the baddies is referred to as someone Avan instead of the other name that was being used.

Good book to read for background on the shadow world, a good look at the college of sorcery and some info on elven magic, including elven investiture.

I haven't read City of Ravens yet though, might have to pick that up if I can find a copy next week.

Green Knight
02-05-2002, 11:32 AM
The Iron Throne was very good. The rest of the books are not. I found the Hag's contract an enjoyable read, but the rest sucked (specially War - a major disappointment after TIT).

morgramen
02-25-2002, 08:01 AM
Orginally posted by Green Knight

The Iron Throne was very good. The rest of the books are not. I found the Hag's contract an enjoyable read, but the rest sucked (specially War - a major disappointment after TIT).

:::GASP!!:::

Challonge! ;)
you mean you prefered the scene wit hthe bear in the run down hut over the battlefield scene in the early chapters of War??

GASP ONCE MORE!

Hags Contract was the first one I read, and though it had some interesting tidbits on Grabentod, I thought it was easily the worst book in the BR series personally. Very dry I thought and no surprises at all.

Anyway, pointless bickering aside....

Raesene Andu, did you ever finish your rewrite of the Oden Chronicles in Rohrmarch? I am considering trying my hand at the keyboard. I'm thinking of drafting some stories from the PBeM I am currently running, specifically the Osoerde struggle. Has anyone else crafted home made BR fiction?

Green Knight
02-25-2002, 10:42 AM
Never claimed Hag's to be a GOOD book, just enjoyable. First BR book I ever read, so maybe that clouded my mind. Liked the background on Grabentod though.

War...well, the start wasn't too shabby, but then it degenerated into "an adventuring party's tale". Very FR, very non BR.