PDA

View Full Version : New gamer to Birthright...

Kefka
01-15-2002, 11:31 PM
I picked up a copy of "The Iron Throne" at the Library last week, and loved it. So I went to the game store and picked up all their Birthright stuff. Some of my friends and I are going to start a gaming group (four of us)...and I'm the DM. (I've played D&D last year at Gencon, none of the others have...we've played Magic and L5R a lot)

I got the Campaign setting, The Sword of Roele, Players Secrets of Roesone, PS Endier, PS Tuornen, PS Ilien, PS Ariya, The Naval rules, Legends of Hero Kings.

What other product are out there to buy? I downloaded the 3rd edition conversion (I own the DMG, PHB, MM all in 3rd).

Also are there any tips in DM for Birthright, it seems really complicated. I'm reading all the material and the books that came out.

Thanks and cheers!

blitzmacher
01-15-2002, 11:43 PM
The best tip I can think of to DM a BR game for the first time is to start small and build on it as you go. There is a lot of info. for BR so just pick one realm in which to run and use the basic rules to start out, then develope on it as you become use to the game mechanics. Just don't let all the info. and paperwork that goes with it throw you, once your use to it the easier it is.

Lord Eldred
01-16-2002, 02:34 AM
Given what Blitzmacher said, be patient with yourself and your players. Lots of things will come up as you go and it will be slow going at first. I really like what Blitzmacher said about starting small. I have been playing it for several years now as the DM and I still don't think I have it down yet :)

Sellenus
01-16-2002, 06:33 PM
But once you get a handle on things... it'll be WELL worth the effort!

Arjan
01-16-2002, 06:40 PM
But dont play to much or you will end up like Lord Eldred and Lawgiver. postaholics<->no sleep<->posting<-> yes yes<-> Birthright..birthright :P

morgramen
01-19-2002, 02:56 AM
I urge you to look about the net for various things. The web pages have been around for a long time, and there are common problems that keep coming up again and again with the Birthright game. Several folks have posted their stuff to the net, and it is an invaluable resource IMO.

Also, if you can find them, be sure to grab copies of the Book of Magecraft (The Wizard book) and hte Book of Priestcraft (The Priest book) and King of the GIantdowns (an adventure book) These are essentials IMO. THe GIantdowns book is really good, sicne it sort of leads the players through the path to become regents.

Finally, BEWARE! When Birthright was written, the rules came out in a series of books and sources. Very little is actually organized into a nice neat cohesive package. You have to refer to several different sources, and on several occassions, you will find conflicting rules.

The hardest concept in Birthright for a new player is the domain turn stuff. Get used to the idea that the domain action list are vague, and are not designed to handle every situation. Thus, if your players want to burn down an enemies holding, they can use either a adventure action, a contest action, or an espionage. There are many possibilities.

Lawgiver
01-21-2002, 05:18 AM
Orginally posted by arjan
But dont play to much or you will end up like Lord Eldred and Lawgiver. postaholics<->no sleep<->posting<-> yes yes<-> Birthright..birthright :P

My problem is due more to withdrawals from playing any RPGs. Alas most of my players live 200+ miles away. Birthright just happens to be the best campaign world ever!
Maybe they could invent a patch to help me cut down and help with the withdrawal...

Kefka: I got the Campaign setting, The Sword of Roele, Players Secrets of Roesone, PS Endier, PS Tuornen, PS Ilien, PS Ariya, The Naval rules, Legends of Hero Kings.
Sounds like you have plenty to get started with. The Book of Magecraft and Preistcraft are good resources. If you can get the paperwork down you should be set!
p.s. if you have any change left from your massive purchase you can send doation to arjan or I...

Princess Emerald Greybear
01-22-2002, 06:09 PM
Kefka, if you don't mind me asking, what state are you in? I used to know someone with the Screen name Kefka, and thats not exactly a common screen name.... :)

Chaos Lord Arioch
01-24-2002, 06:03 AM
You found all those BR books at one game store?
Some people have all the luck;)