PDA

View Full Version : Spells for Everyone...

RaspK_FOG
10-13-2004, 10:03 PM
This thread I open for all of us that have ideas that might interest the whole community.

I suppose that posting one spell at a time, making our criticism and/or comments, giving any ideas, and THEN going on is best.

So as to avoid sounding too stuck up, I won't be the one to suggest the first spell. The first who posts his spell gets the honour.

Let this whole thing... BEGIN! ;)

Sir Justine
10-14-2004, 05:22 AM
The honor is all mine...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Blood Sacrifice
Necromancy [Evil]
Level: Clr 5, Sor/Wiz 5
Target: One blooded creature
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell prepares one target creature, which must be blooded, to be sacrificed. The subject must be present (usually as a prisoner) during the entire period of the realm spell casting.
At the completion of the ritual, the target creature must be killed (by the caster or by any other creature chosen by the caster), by having its heart pierced, as in a bloodtheft. The objective of this spell is to make the bloodtheft much more effective - the creature that kills the target of this spell will obtain a greater fraction of the target’s bloodline than the one he would obtain if he made a normal bloodtheft, as show below:

xxxxx*

If the target of this spell isn't killed at the right moment (at the end of the ritual), this spell has no effect. This means that if the target suffers a bloodtheft later, his slayer will gain the normal amount of bloodline score.
Material Components: 1 GB worth of expendable ritual components.
XP Cost: 250 XP.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Well, the reason I didn't put the exact increase of the bloodtheft is that I don't use the BRCS bloodline rules, so my spell isn't compatible; but this should be easy to fix.

Green Knight
10-14-2004, 08:00 AM
I have a lot of new spell from my RoE game, but I don`t use the BRCS, so they are not 100% compatible. However, if anyone is interested, I could post some anyway.

B

Cheers

Bjørn

-------------------------------------------------

WebMail fra Tele2 http://www.tele2.no

-------------------------------------------------

RaspK_FOG
10-14-2004, 08:50 AM
Interesting enough... But I suggest you make a conversion, meaning you check the BRCS, see how this spell's effect would fit in with your own bloodtheft mechanics, and then determine its effects under the BRCS bloodtheft mechanics.

Lee
10-14-2004, 02:40 PM
Hey, great timing! I was trying to think of a way to dramatize a

bloodtheft by a villain IMC.

As a rules-effect issue, maybe this spell could approximate the use of a

tighmaevril weapon? Or just double/triple the RP/BS absorbed?

Lee.

In a message dated 10/14/04 1:51:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

brnetboard@BIRTHRIGHT.NET writes:

<< Sir Justine wrote:

The honor is all

mine...------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Blood Sacrifice >>

RaspK_FOG
10-15-2004, 06:30 AM
Well, it could work that way; but I think granting it the benefits of tighmaevril is like... a little too much? Also, I believe we should here the author&#39;s ideas on the matter.

irdeggman
10-15-2004, 09:49 AM
If you notice the description it states it is a realm spell. While the color effect of the spell is good the game effects are actually better performed by the existing realm spell Investiture (which can be a forced issue and not strictly a voluntary one).

RaspK_FOG
10-15-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by irdeggman@Oct 15 2004, 12:49 PM
If you notice the description it states it is a realm spell. While the color effect of the spell is good the game effects are actually better performed by the existing realm spell Investiture (which can be a forced issue and not strictly a voluntary one).
I miss the "slapping my forehead" smiley other sites have on such occasions...

So, does that it mean we are off with it? Suggestions, bitte&#33;

irdeggman
10-15-2004, 01:06 PM
As its written I&#39;d say it doesn&#39;t quite work. For one it is a cermony-type spell, which IMO eliminates it from being an arcane spell.

IIRC there was a standard spell in the BoM that allowed a limited type of bloodtheft. IIRC Ian also talked about bringing it back for the next rev of the BRCS. I&#39;d use that tack instead of the one above and make it an arcane only spell. But the ceremony aspects could be added to Kreisha (specifically appropriate there) or Belnik for how they implement the Investiture spell.

Raesene Andu
10-15-2004, 04:00 PM
The spell from the BoM was Blood Drain, a 9th level spell that allowed the caster to strip 2d8 points of bloodline strength and add them to his own. Spell also had a chance to backfire, potentially draining away bloodline pts from the caster.

Initial thoughts about changing it for 3rd edition was to give the victim a fortitude saving throw adjusted by his bloodline modifier, which would make it extermely difficult to perform on regents with high bloodlines.

geeman
10-15-2004, 10:30 PM
At 08:30 AM 10/15/2004 +0200, RaspK_FOG wrote:

>Well, it could work that way; but I think granting it the benefits of

>tighmaevril is like... a little too much?

I`ve been mulling over the use of a sort of "tighmaevril-lite" as an

adventure hook for a long time now. That is, someone figures out how to

create an alloy that aids in committing bloodtheft like tighmaevril, but is

not as effective. Problem is that such a substance could alter the

dynamics of the setting quite a bit, so introducing it for the purpose of

an adventure is a little dicey, unless the substance is going to wind up

being of only limited availability by DM fiat (not unlike tighmaevril is.)

I bring this up here because it occurs to me that it could be a kind of

magic spell that replicates tighmaevril, and the adventure could be set in

that context. The magic spell might be the process that was used to create

the stuff in the first place, and it is the loss of that spell that is the

reason why the knowledge of how to create tighmaevril weapons is lost. If

one were to have it work like that, however, it might be sensible for there

to be two to four spells that have increasing effects on bloodtheft. That

is a 3rd level spell that makes bloodline transfer from bloodtheft X more

efficient, another 5th level spell that is a little more powerful, etc.

right up to the creation of the exact effect of tighmaevril as a 9th level

spell. Knowledge of that spell would be a requirement in the creation of

tighmaevril weapons a la the 3e/3.5 magic item creation rules, along with

the appropriate feat, gold and XP costs, etc.

Adventure hooks to accompany such a thing might be that the players must

steal, purchase or otherwise acquire the spell/s for their own use or as a

commodity to sell to others. They might have to destroy the spells and

kill their creator for the safety of all Cerilia. They might have to

acquire components and other material for either the creation of magic

items that have that spell permanently upon them or simply to cast the

spell in the first place.

Gary

The Jew
10-18-2004, 07:52 PM
I would throw in a new special metal for each level of the spell, to make it harder and more limited to make. The basic spell uses Adamanitine, while the rest require an alloy of 2 then 3 then four types of metals, in order to get the full effect. The last metal could be of such rarity (maybe only found in the fairie world which is why it was an elf that figured it out)that even the rediscovery of the 9th level spell would not effect game balance by to much.

Sir Justine
10-24-2004, 10:40 AM
Actually, the first version that I made was an arcane, non-realm spell. But them I thought it was more the like of a realm spell... I didn&#39;t remember Investiture, however. I guess I will have to read it :P .

Anyway, I like "blood sacrifice" as, like someone above said, a plot-device. It gives a reason for the villain to take a scion as a hostage instead of killing him outright, at least until he can use this spell...

One last thing: irdeggman said that because it is a "ceremony" spell it could not be an arcane spell. It is just a matter of visualizing it as a "ritual" instead of a ceremony. I cannot see a problem with that.

irdeggman
10-24-2004, 08:49 PM
I don&#39;t know - the whole concept of sacrificing someone strikes me as being divine (i.e., related to the gods) and ritualistic instead of arcane (i.e., manipulating the mehbvaighl of the land).

I think the point of the plot device was for the BoM arcane spell and new materials and not in relation to this one though.

The arcane bloodtheft spell is something that has merit (albeit reduced in effectiveness - the tighmaevril lite concept).

Another possibility to not kill a captured scion would be to use his blood as a source of magical item material components, etc. And then there is of course the whole ransoming concept.

Danip
10-26-2004, 02:53 AM
I can totally see a colorful spell like this with a dark and evil ritual/ceremony being arcane. In my imagination the evil wizard sacrificing virgins to the great demon he has summoned always has to perform some ritual (big stone table, curvy sacrifical dagger, pentagrams, incense, candles, etc)...

Actually, in the BRCS where is the involuntary version of Investitiure? On page 139 I see...
Bloodline Investiture
Transmutation
Level: Clr/Drd 1
Target: Two willing regents touched
Duration: See text
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No
Special Requirements: Temple (1)

And the rules for scion to scion invesititure are:
If the target character is already a scion, then the bloodlines
are combined in exactly the same manner as if the character
with the stronger bloodline had performed bloodtheft on the
character with the weaker bloodline.
Which seems a bit backward? Shouldnt it be weaker bloodthefting the stronger, if i understand the flow right?

I think a more difficult and expensive evil spell to make blood sucking more effective is a great idea. Just having an evil wizard who is trying to research the spell (kidnapping lesser scions, stealing other wizards spell books, stealing holy relics...) would make a great NPC villain.
Although arcane BR magic is tied to the magic of the land, so i could totally see this as a evil divine spell. Wide spread availability of this spell might shift the balance of power....Rise of Kreisha anyone?

teloft
10-27-2004, 12:57 PM
my little evil spell actuly a feat.

The prerequiset to take this feat is to be able to level drain or give negative levels.

it works as the spells giving negative levels, and therefore is both evil and necromantic, but or every level draind it gives a spell lv boost for 1d4-1 for casting of one spell or the next spell.

as a sacrifice version, you can use this feat to enhance your active spell level for the duratation of a spell study or casting a realm spell, preperation time for such is one hour and 500gp for every day (done hastely), one day and 1GB for a week, and one week 3GB for a month. yes and one month and 10GB preperation time for 3 months of enchanted power.

the caster must tell the DM what she plan to use thet extended power for, and it only works for thet single purpous.

It can be one spell, a realm spell, one study sesion, one item creation, or whatever.

some cahracters have restrictions on pray. only fay creature, or only humanoinds, o only blooded creature, or only magical creature. but some dont. &#33;&#33;

Hrandal
10-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Has this been done already? More of a great chance for some fun roleplaying than a practical strategic spell. Mechanics are not my strongpoint, so I&#39;m sure this has some loopholes.

Blissful Ignorance
Level: 3 (Arcane? Clerical?)
Target: 1 Province/3 levels
Duration: 1 month / 4 levels
Saving Throw: Will negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
Special Requirements: ?

Provinces affected by this spell no longer remember who their regent is - no matter how many times they are introduced, or how much evidence is shown to them. Those affected by the spell generally assume that the highest-ranking noble in the area is their regent, and act so in every particular. Affected Provinces provide no regency or coin for the regent or his kingdom (this appears to be an outbreak of Great Captains to the afflicted party.) Nothing is more baffling for a regent than to enter a rebellious province and have half his troops desert him&#33;

These new "kingdoms" may choose to save up the coin they collect, or to spend it on frivolities, creating courts, or anything else a new regent might attempt to do.

Regency: 5RP per afflicted Province
Material: 3GB worth of expendable components

Danip
10-28-2004, 05:59 AM
That is a really funny spell that is. Though very powerful if you think about it....do military units ignore their regent? Maybe best not to have too detailed of mechanics, probably would end up being controlled by DM fiat anyway.
I like the fact that will save negates. You could have say ~10% of the population think the rest had gone round the bend.
Is it just the ruler they ignore or all regents with holdings?
If the rightful ruler goes to the province wouldnt he be the highest ranking noble usually? So command would revert to him. Or is command set at the begining of the spell? Maybe instead of highest ranking noble (which requires the populace to remeber previous rankings of nobles) some other method of deciding the new rulers would work. Maybe the guy with the biggest house (a sure sign of power), the tallest man (works for prediciting political elections), biggest ego, biggest hat, or some such thing....

I wonder what god would have this spell in their divine portfolio. Probably not Haelyn&#33;

I could really use this in my campaign....now I just need to buy my character a big hat&#33;
:lol:

Benjamin
11-02-2004, 07:51 PM
Blissful Ignorance is quite an interesting spell. I also have the same reservations as Danip.

I&#39;d say the taxation is just lost. That way some sneaky regents won&#39;t try to get it back after the effect wears off.

I&#39;d also say it basically affects every holding, not just the ruler. After all, just because someone buys bread doesn&#39;t mean the merchant remembers to send the money to his guild. That would make this a nice "obliterate all" spell. Costs are high enough to validate this, I think.