PDA

View Full Version : Getting players to be Regents?

Ulairi
01-14-2002, 08:50 PM
I'm having a hard time getting anyone in my new group to play a Regent. They don't want to hassle with it, even thought I don't think it's complicated. They just want to use the world as a backdrop and play it like a FR campaign.

I'm either going to start bashing them with the Might DM Stick™ or bring someone else in.

Moving and getting a good group is hard.

dmferry
01-14-2002, 08:57 PM
I had to stone my Group because they all wanted to be regent. I kicked several :) and picked the one who plays a Haelyn Paladin (with a kind heart, compasion and love for all other persons except naughty people and monsters)

dmferry

brownie
01-15-2002, 03:46 AM
regents are fun. You can have some good fun. It can be fun because of the army's and the borders. Also you can be fun with clerics and temples. You can also do some fun as a wizard with your sources. If you dont be a regent and have that whole aspect of the game then go back to FR and leave BR for us people that like all aspects of the game in BR.

Ulairi
01-15-2002, 03:48 AM
Orginally posted by dmferry

I had to stone my Group because they all wanted to be regent. I kicked several :) and picked the one who plays a Haelyn Paladin (with a kind heart, compasion and love for all other persons except naughty people and monsters)

dmferry

I want players in the group. :)

brownie
01-15-2002, 04:13 AM
well maybe you should get more players.

Sellenus
01-15-2002, 01:08 PM
What makes them feel that it is too much of a hassle?

If they ALL do no want to play regents, I would have them work closely with an NPC regent (Lieutenant, Advisor, Bodyguard...). Make the game Diplomacy heavy, and make the NPC regent very unwise, yet firm. The regent makes bad desisions, and will not listen to the PC's advice.

The PC's will be forced to deal with the reprocussions constantly. The province will deteriorate. And so on...

Hopefully the players (some at least) will realize that they could do a better job as a regent. Maybe not in the same game, but in future BR games.

Anyway... just a thought...

brownie
01-15-2002, 11:48 PM
that sounds like a very good idea. Like asked before need a regent or a guilder. I would be more than happy to join.

Ulairi
01-15-2002, 11:58 PM
Orginally posted by Sellenus

If they ALL do no want to play regents, I would have them work closely with an NPC regent (Lieutenant, Advisor, Bodyguard...). Make the game Diplomacy heavy, and make the NPC regent very unwise, yet firm. The regent makes bad desisions, and will not listen to the PC's advice.

The PC's will be forced to deal with the reprocussions constantly. The province will deteriorate. And so on...

Hopefully the players (some at least) will realize that they could do a better job as a regent. Maybe not in the same game, but in future BR games.

Great idea! I'll try this out.

Lord Eldred
01-16-2002, 02:30 AM
I think having regent PCs is what Birthright is all about. Another suggestion is take care of the stuff they consider a hassle (domain actions, taxes, maintenance) online through email and save game sessions for the roleplaying. It sounds like they just don't want to lose roleplaying time.

Ulairi
01-16-2002, 02:32 AM
Orginally posted by Ulairi

Orginally posted by Sellenus

Great idea! I'll try this out.

I agree with you. I'll give them some examples that would allow more "game" time.

brownie
01-16-2002, 01:08 PM
Domain turns can be done quickly if everyone knows what they are doing and how they are doing it with. I am in a groub of about 6 on average and we get through the domain actions very very quickly. I guess that is what is nice about being in an expierenced party.

Bryon
01-16-2002, 02:36 PM
Another idea is to roleplay the Regent Domain actions at a different time or day. Than get everyone togeather to deal with day to day actions.

A Domain action is basiclly a month so these things don't just happen. Allow everyone to role play it out.

Arjan
01-16-2002, 06:33 PM
My players started as blooded non-regents just to get know birthright.
Eventualy some of the players decided they wanted to give it a try, and through an adventure they ended all being regent (one king, one guildmaster, court wizard and temple owner and one lietenant controlling the armies)

they just started with a very small amount of holdings, some started with nothing and had to start a lvl 0.
that is a lot easier then just inherit some huge domain and easier to comprehend.

hope this helps

brownie
01-16-2002, 08:56 PM
Arjan you are correct. I think that is you start of to powerful then you are just shooting yourself in the foot because you would not know the history of the areas and what treaties there are. So then start off small and have fun. Another thing you can do is let them all be regents and have a council to run your lands.

Temujin
01-16-2002, 11:49 PM
Is to keep the PC's on each other's throat!! It severely reduces the workload, since you don't have to constantly think of getting them into trouble, eheheh :)

Lawgiver
01-18-2002, 05:28 AM
One idea I used before was have the PCs 'rescue' the current regent. They didn't know they were rescueing the regent, merely someone in distress. Afterward the regent attempted to get them to aid him by passing back key info and performing small tasks for him (quasi-lieutenants). At one point the regent suffers an assasination attempt. The PCs stop the assasin before he can finish the job, but the regent suffers a mortal wound. Before he dies he could invest one of the players with his bloodline. Its a subtle way to get the PCs involved without forcing them to be regents. They get a taste of the campaign world and once they are invested they may will be more willing to fulfill their new role.

Ulairi
01-18-2002, 05:30 AM
I got one of them to be a Regant. He's going to browse through my collection of Player's Secrets and pick one. Once he understood that it would open up RPing, he was game.

Lawgiver
01-18-2002, 05:32 AM
Orginally posted by Ulairi
I got one of them to be a Regant. He's going to browse through my collection of Player's Secrets and pick one. Once he understood that it would open up RPing, he was game.

Based on the Player's Secrets Tournen or Talinie are the two best realms for first time players. In my humble opinion...

brownie
01-18-2002, 06:45 AM
I have to agree with you. WOW did i say that???
If they dont do it then that is part of the game they dont want to learna nd what fun is that if they dont do that.

Riegan Swordwraith
01-18-2002, 01:56 PM
Tournen or Talinie as good Domains for a first time regent?????You beleive in the "sink or swim" school of DMing there Lawgiver???I would hate to have you DM for me;)!!!

(I am just pickin' on ya there Law)

Actually I can kinda see Talinie but Tournen I wouldn't place for a newb.I would pick something on the South Coast,Roesone,Aerenwe,or Medeore for example.

But to each his own!!

Lawgiver
01-21-2002, 05:32 AM
Orginally posted by Riegan Swordwraith
Actually I can kinda see Talinie but Tournen I wouldn't place for a newb.I would pick something on the South Coast,Roesone,Aerenwe,or Medeore for example.

But to each his own!!
I would hate to have you DM for me;)!!!
Yes... yes you would. MUWAHHAAAHA!!! :P
No seriously ,I'm not that awful or vindictive. Especially not with new players. Its once you get some experience that the gloves come off... ;)

Tournen isn't bad. You don't have to just maul the PC with the surrounding opponents. Since Ulairi was looking for heavier roleplaying, Tournen provides more than enough opportunity for roleplaying. Its right in the center of the action and offers plenty of ideas (you have the mighty Boeruine and Avan conflict, and awnsheghlien neighbor-Rhoubhe, petty raids from the Five Peaks, a diplomatic challenge with Alamie... ought to keep you busy for months on end!) Its a realm that should provoke easy DM thought and plenty of roleplaying for players hungry to avoid the paperwork side of Birthight.

Roesone would also be a good suggestion. Its one of my favorites for the Southern Coast.
Aerenwe has too many financial problems for a newbie.
Medoere isn't bad, but its a little small for a larger party to follow a single ruler.... but that also depend s on your campaign flavor and DM creativeness!
Coeranys also isn't bad, but you start with a serious financial crunch which is difficult for new players.