PDA

View Full Version : Chap 7 for discussion

irdeggman
08-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Here is the thread for discussing Ch 7, Realm Magic.

Here is the word document.

Don E
08-20-2004, 04:43 AM
How about changing Source level requirement to match the spell level?

Ksaturn
08-20-2004, 05:44 AM
While Scry is not a first level spell i don't think It require all that much massive power on the domain level... Up to the DMs in Balence v.s. Book-keeping

Osprey
02-09-2005, 08:33 PM
I've been working on the designs for new realm spells based off of existing [personal] spells, and thought it might be useful to include some guidelines in Chapter 7 for DM's/players to do this when creating new realm spells. If people like these guidelines, it might also be reasonable to edit some of the existing realm spells to be more consistent with such a standardized system.

Spell Descriptor....Realm Spell
School.....................same
Spell Level...............same
Components.............ritual with RP and GB costs
Casting Time............1 month (or more)
Range......................target(s) must be in province where the required holding or ley line exists, except for certain exceptions (Scry Province, Transport).
Target.....................1 or more individuals, units, or provinces (see below)
-Personal.................not appropriate as a realm spell
-Single person..........1 person, unit, or province
-Area, multiple targets...1 individual, unit, or province per caster level. Mass versions of single target spells should be a spell 4 levels higher than the single target version.
-Very large area spells...1 unit or province per caster level
Duration..................see below; the DM may elect to cap the duration of certain realm spells, typically at 1 month or 1 season.
-Instantaneous.........Instantaneous
-1 round/level..........1 week per 3 caster levels for individual or unit affecting spells; 1 month per 3 caster levels for province-affecting spells.
-1 minute/level.........1 week (individuals, units) or 1 month (provinces) per 2 caster levels.
-10 minutes/level or more..1 week (individuals, units) or month (provinces) per caster level.

Osprey
02-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Some examples (base PHB spell in parentheses after realm spell name):
Note that realm spell costs (RP, GB) are somewhat arbitrary right now, and could be standardized too if a streamlined system can be worked out and agreed upon.

Cure Unit (Cure Light Wounds):
Spell Level: 1st
Target: 1 unit
Effect: Heals 1 hit to a damaged unit (see below)
Cost: 5 RP and 1 GB
Design Note: Since all Cure spells are healing spells but don't raise the dead, such a spell could not restore slain soldiers in a unit. Hence, the effects should be limited to healing no more than 1/2 the damage taken by a unit (round up). More potent (higher-level) versions could be researched, each healing an additional hit of damage (CMW = 2 hits, CSW = 3 hits, CCW = 4 hits), but given the low hits of most units these wouldn't be very practical.

Heal the Army (Mass Cure Light Wounds):
Spell Level: 5th
Target: 1 unit per 2 caster levels
Effect: Heals 1 hit per damaged unit targeted
Cost: 5 RP + 1 GB per unit targeted

Shield Unit (Shield of Faith)
Duration: 1 week per 2 caster levels
Cost: 5 RP + 1 GB
Effect: +2 deflection bonus to target unit's defense, with an additional +1 to the bonus for every six caster levels you have (maximum +5 deflection bonus at 18th level).

Shield the Legions (Shield of Faith, mass)
Effect: +2 deflection bonus to target units' defense, with an additional +1 to the bonus for every six caster levels you have (maximum +5 deflection bonus at 18th level).

Danip
02-10-2005, 01:11 AM
How about changing Source level requirement to match the spell level?
Ummm, why? I kind of like the idea that a lower level mage can cast more powerful realm spells if she can only get her hands on a bigger source. By tying the source requirement to spell level, you take away a large incentive for mages to increase their sources or fight for their preservation. If your a mage who can cast level 4 spells, why bother to fight for a 7+ level source. You wont be able to use it for many levels with your idea. Would your rule also apply to temple level and divine realm spells?

Danip
02-10-2005, 02:00 AM
In this thread (http://www.birthright.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2863&hl=) on the usefulness of named bonus types, several different spell varieties were discussed. Other than military spells there are no realm spells which give bonues or penalties to domain actions. For example:

Elected by God
Divination(?)
Special Requirements: Temple (4) and Lawful God?
Target: 1 scion
Costs: 2 RP and 1 GB (?)
Casting time: 1 Full domain action
Duration: 1 Season
Effect: One selected scion, who must be present in the province where cast at some time during the casting, has been divinely selected to rule. If this scion undergoes a Coronation Ceremony during the duration of this spell, and the priest who cast this spell performs the Ceremony, then the scion receives a +5(?) bonus on the domain action check to invest their domain. This is a +5 sacred or profane bonus depending upon the alignment of the God (priests of neutral gods use their turn or rebuke undead to determine this).

Im not sure on the name or the costs and benifits, but you get the idea. This spell could help particularly large coronations (DC = 10 + size of domain).
Many differnet spells like this could be created for almost all domain action checks. The casting regent basically gets to get a larger bonus then their RP and GB spend normally would. To get this bonus they must give up a full domain action and have spent the time and money to research the spell. High source/temple level requirements would also help reward good domain stewardship/growth.

Different casters would research different spells of this type allowing them be specialized. This could reflect different needs and interests. Priests of Sera would go for create trade route bonues, while Haelyn might go for rule or justice matters resolution bonues.

Just as a side thing: You see how my spell has level 1 but temple (4). I like the level 1, because then any priest can cast this if they spend 1 month (and a GB) to learn this. If it took longer to learn, I dont know that many regents would bother with this rarely useful spell. I like the temple (4) at least, because it demonstrates a serious sized temple ready to become a state religion, not some fly by night temple (1).

The incredible, edible Phil
02-10-2005, 06:46 AM
If you want to standardize "costs" for spells, I would consider the are of effect. If a spell targets a military unit, it should cost less than a spell that affects a holding, which in turn should cost less than a spell that affects an entire province.

Mark_Aurel
02-11-2005, 09:28 AM
I think some terminology should be rethought or added to clean up some descriptions and make it easier to write new spells. I also don't think a discussion of realm magic should be kept entirely separate from a discussion of domain rules, as the two overlap a fair deal.

A separation should be made between spells that affect provinces as an area, and spells that affect population levels.

Another concept that might be a useful introduction, both for the domain rules, and realm spells like Blight Land is something like a 'negative province level,' working somewhat like a negative character level. It would be useful for cases like raising levies, or possibly for revising existing rules for pillaging or making new ones for population movements.

irdeggman
02-11-2005, 11:37 AM
"Negative province level" I think I like it. Fits into an existing game mechanic structure and translates into a more easily understood concept. Now source level regenerates naturally over time (if left undisturbed) but province level doesn't so that would require a little discussion but should easily be handled.

We do need to have some more discussion on domain actions as a whole to try to fit in realm magic and such.

We also need some more discussion on battle magic - I think that one fits in with the armies, etc. section since that is the level it functions at.

Again, I miss you Jan - you have a real eye for details and how game mechanics fit together.

You know, I/we could use a good chapter editor for some of these chapters. . . . :rolleyes:

Angelbialaska
02-11-2005, 12:15 PM
Warding has been changed to a very high level spell, since it's 'built' out from Guards and Wards. The big problem that I have with that, is that then Scry Province should be a level 4 spell. Mass Destruction a level 3. Subversion would be a level 5 spell.

Why not simply assign the level required to cast like in 2e? Because there's no 'spell' level on realm spells. So a level 1 caster can cast this bunch of spells, a level 5 caster can cast warding, etc, etc.

Also I feel that certain spells should receive a boost somehow. Some spells have been slaughtered completely.

One of these spells is Transport. Before you could transport <level> units <level> provinces. So a level 10 wizard could send 10 units 10 provinces. Now a level 10 wizard can send 1 unit 10 provinces, 5 units 2 provinces or 10 units 1 province.

The Jew
02-11-2005, 02:24 PM
What if ability to cast a spell was based upon your level, but ability to effect multiple targets was determined by level of source. So lets say I cast summon monstrous unit. I use a 5th level source, which means even if I am 20th level or a mere 5th level caster I could summon 5 units. Other, more powerful spells might require 2 levels per target. Essentially my ability to have the proper expertise to cast a spell is still based upon my level, but the amount of targets I can effect is determined by how much power I have on hand which is based on the source level.

irdeggman
02-11-2005, 08:52 PM
What if we restructured the realm spells to even more closely resemble epic spells?
Epic spells are all considered to be 10th level but they differ in power. That difference is determined by the DC to learn the spell in the first place. There is no minimum caster level to cast the spells (except for having the epic feat that is) but after that it doesn&#39;t matter. There are various prereqs for ranks in spellcraft (another means of restricting them by power level). We use holding levels as another means of putting a power level on them.

void
02-14-2005, 04:44 AM
Scry now gives a Will saving throw instead of making a sry check, so maybe the RP spent modifies the dc of the save?
I noticed that the DCs for realm spells is supposed to be 10+spell level + caster&#39;s ability modifier, but many of the spells have hard coded DCs. Particularly the DC on mass distruction seems really easy given the expense of the spell. Do spell focus and greater spell focus modifiy these DCs?

irdeggman
02-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by void@Feb 13 2005, 11:44 PM
Scry now gives a Will saving throw instead of making a sry check, so maybe the RP spent modifies the dc of the save?
I noticed that the DCs for realm spells is supposed to be 10+spell level + caster&#39;s ability modifier, but many of the spells have hard coded DCs. Particularly the DC on mass distruction seems really easy given the expense of the spell. Do spell focus and greater spell focus modifiy these DCs?
I&#39;m inclined to go with a realm spell focus/penetration feat style format like the ones required for epic spells. It just makes more sense IMO.

Osprey
02-14-2005, 05:39 PM
On Epic Spellcasting:

I think epic spells are broken, having playtested them a bit with a dedicated sort of epic wizard (D&D but not BR) and extensive discussion in our group on the subject.

They use a system of seeds that seem flexible and diverse, but in fact allow only a very narrow range of possible effects: most of them simple score-boosting or just "more, more, more" of lower-level effects. What quickly became frustrating was how the seeds limited creative spell ideas to very narrow specifications. In other words, I had ideas for all sorts of magic that simply didn&#39;t fit the seed system. They turned out to be far more limiting than the basic (0-9) spell lists.

Skill-based spellcasting, a concept I like very much, unfortunately doesn&#39;t mesh very well with the core D&D magic system very well. I think one of the glaring problems with epic spellcasting is that it is entirely its "own thing," following a mostly seperate set of rules from normal spellcasting.

Finally, the xp costs of designing epic spells are prohibitive. Again, charging a wizard epic amounts of xp and gp to learn an epic spell means the character must totally dedicate themselves to a single skill (Spellcraft), take the epic feat (Epic Spellcasting), and then only ever learn a few epic spells for her repetoire. What a let-down when you realize that even with some help, you&#39;ll know only a few spells.

The one thing I really liked about the epic spell system/section in the Epic Handbook? The concept, the flavored &#39;leadup&#39; to a magic system of open spell design, limited only be a person&#39;s creativity, and the character&#39;s Spellcraft. Nice concept, but the mechanics didn&#39;t carry it well.

So epic spellcasting as a model for realm spells? I&#39;m opposed to this. If this is supposed to be a game system based on the core 3 rulebooks + the 2e BR material, shouldn&#39;t magic be handled the same?

The 2e realm spell system seemed like personal spells on a very large scale.
Scale is the main difference between realm and personal spells, made possible by weeks of ritual, regency, and components.

There are 3 scales of realm spells in BR: Personal, Unit, and Province.
-Personal realm spells are limited to bloodline-affecting spells (as far as I know).
-Unit scale spells include most combat and many utility spells.
-Province scale spells are usually expanded from area-effect spells (bless, guards and wards, plant growth), though 2e spells like Subversion stretched single target spells into mass-effect ones (Subversion, Demagogue).

This seems to be at the heart of the realm spell system, both 2e and BRCS (which mostly maintained the original form). Except for some bloodline spells (Investiture, Bloodline Ward, etc.), most every other 2e and BRCS realm spell has a clear counterpart from the PHB spell lists. Usually the realm spell level was equal to the lowest-level version of PHB spell.
Ex: Subversion: core spell = Charm Person.
Summon Monstrous Unit = Summon Monster (the BRCS spells the equivalents out for this one pretty well).

It just makes the most logical sense to me to use the existing features of spells as a basis for conversion (even if it&#39;s not our favorite magic system). This includes spell level as a measure of the spell&#39;s inherent power, efficiency, and limitations; caster level to determine spell potency relative to spell level, duration, and range; and spell features (target, components, effects) as a basis for conversion to realm-scale.

I think this is what the BRCS started to do, but didn&#39;t go far enough in spelling out a more defined system to design realm spells. Also, that system has now been playtested by many of us, though I haven&#39;t heard a great deal of feedback concerning how good it is or whether it is in need of serious improvement (there&#39;s been comments here and there on certain realm spells). I think that some of the existing realm spells could use some tweaking and adjustment for balance, which would make them less identical to their 2e origins, but more in line with the 3.5 magic system.

irdeggman
02-15-2005, 12:46 AM
OK Osprey we&#39;ve been down this road before when comparing realm spells to epic spells. It is like I mention the phrase "epic spells" and you get this red glaze over your eyes :D .

I am not talking about a straight exact comparison. I am talking about the scales of the spells being similar (which they are). I am also talking about realm spells being personal (like epic spells) in that they are not taught straight up. You are not going to find a scroll with a realm spell lying around, nor should you be able to cast a realm spell from a scroll (same restriction as epic spells). A caster isn&#39;t going to automatically know a number of realm spells and certainly not gain automatic knowledge of realm spells just by advancing a level. On many levels this works, if only for the casting time issue (realm spells take a month to cast, or most of a month anyway their casting time is not measured in rounds). I am also talking about using the ranks in spellcraft system (similar to the epic spells except not divided by 10 though) to limit the number of realm spells a caster can know. This puts a reason to have ranks in spellcraft at the domain level of play. I am not talking about having to spend exp to learn realm spells (like is done for epic spells). The playtest specifies a GB cost per level of spell known which could translate into a similar system, I am also not opposed to placing a RP cost of learning realm spells (fits on many different levels also).

If you notice the playtest system placing the realm spells in a spell level system - I am not proposing throwing that away. This is the similar mechanic to the standard spell system. The biggest difference is that realm spells take a much longer casting time and are of much greater power levels than a low level spellcaster should be able to cast. Even the 1st level realm spells are in the range of 9th level standard spells when one translates the damage/beneficial effects out to all those creatures or the area the spell affects (most of the time an entire province).

More importantly I&#39;m talking about thinking in terms of power of the spells. Realm spells are much more powerful than a standard spell and are closer in relative power level to the epic spells than to any other spells around.

Compare just a sampling of the realm spells; Bless/blight land (1st level), legion of the dead (5th level) or summon monstrous unit (2nd level). These spells are drastically more powerful than their standard equivalents. Bless/blight is a 1st level spell that affects an entire province (many square miles). Legion of the dead creates a unit of undead (that is the equivalent of 200 individuals) while summon monstrous unit summons a unit of monsters (again the equivalent of 200 individuals).

Epic spells:

Pestilence
Conjuration, Necromancy
Spellcraft DC: 104
Components: V, S, Ritual, XP
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: 0 ft.
Area: 1,000-ft.-radius hemisphere
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 936,000 gp; 19 days; 37,440 XP. Seed: afflict (DC 19). Factors: additional target type (plants) (+10 DC). change target to area (+10 DC), change 20-ft. radius to 1,000-ft. radius (+200 DC), disease effects (as per contagion spell) (ad hoc +21 DC). Mitigating factors: casting time increased by 9 minutes (–18 DC), two additional casters contributing epic spell slots (–38 DC), burn 10,000 XP (–100 DC).
When pestilence is successfully cast, a wave of illness radites outward from the site of the ritual, instantly infecting every living thing in the area with the debilitating disease known as slimy doom. Within 24 hours, everything in the area begins to show signs of rot and decay.
Each day that a victim fails a Fortitude save, it takes 1d4 points of temporary Constitution damage. If the victim then fails a second save, 1 point of that damage is permanent drain. If the victim succeeds at the first saving throw of the day on consecutive days, he or she has recovered from the disease. This magical form of the disease is not contagious and will not spread beyond those initially infected. Fruits and vegetables infected with slimy doom are unfit for consumption, as are disease-ridden livestock. This is a ritual spell requiring two other spellcasters, each of whom must expend an unused epic spell slot for the casting. The primary caster must also burn 10,000 XP.
XP Cost: 10,000 XP.

Rain of Fire
Evocation [Fire]
Spellcraft DC: 50
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 0 ft.
Area: 2-mile-radius emanation
Duration: 20 hours
Saving Throw: Reflex negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes
To Develop: 450,000 gp; 9 days; 18,000 XP. Seeds: energy (fire) (DC 19), energy (weather) (DC 19). Factor: change rain to wisps of flame (ad hoc +12 DC).
This spell summons a swirling thunderstorm that rains fire rather than raindrops down on the character and everything within a two-mile radius of him or her. Everything caught unprotected or unsheltered in the flaming deluge takes 1 point of fire damage each round. A successful Reflex save results in no damage, but the save must be repeated each round. Unless the ground is exceedingly damp, all vegetation is eventually blackened and destroyed, leaving behind a barren wasteland similar to the aftermath of a grass or forest fire. The fiery storm is stationary and persists even if the caster leaves.

Verdigris
Conjuration (Creation)
Spellcraft DC: 58
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 minute
Range: 300 ft.
Area: 100-ft.-radius hemisphere
Duration: 24 hours
Saving Throw: Reflex half
Spell Resistance: No
To Develop: 522,000 gp; 11 days; 20,880 XP. Seed: conjure (DC 21). Factors: change area to 20-ft. radius hemisphere (+2 DC), increase radius to 100 ft. (+16 DC), deal 10d6 damage during growth (ad hoc +19 DC).
This spell creates a tsunami of grass, shrubs, and trees that overgrows the area like a tidal wave. The plant growth creeps and curls across every-thing in the area, ensnaring it and coiling around it as if it had been growing there for a century or more. Creatures in the area must make a Reflex saving throw to avoid the fast-moving growth, which otherwise deals 10d6 points of damage from the crushing press. Buildings are engulfed and they likewise take 10d6 points of damage. Those destroyed by the damage have their foundations uprooted and walls crumbled. The plant growth remains for 24 hours, after which it vanishes.

All of these epic spells seem to translate fairly well into what we (at least I) consider the range of realm spells. And by the way all epic level spells are considered 10th level (there are not various levels of epic spells, the difference in powere is measured by the spellcraft DC)

As far as using only the core 3 books, pg 206+ of the DMG talks about epic characters (although lacking in a lot of detail especially the spells even though they list several epic spell related feats) and the epic spell system is contained in the 3.5 SRD (which more people seem to have than the books - it is the only thing I recommend using the SRD for instead of the books because WotC incorporated all of the applicable epic information and updated it to 3.5 at the same time). Another thing the SRD did (not related to epic levels) was to include the statement that prestige classes don&#39;t count towards the class level penaltiy for multiclassing characters. The SRD is free so it does meet the criteria of not forcing people to buy any more books than the core three (the real basis was cost for those in other countries and availability of books).

And yes I agree the epic spell system while a great concept was not really well developed. But nothing stops a player/DM from creating his own seeds to account for what the intent of the spell is being made (although I thik most of the seeds are really accounted for already) and many of the "existing" epic spells combine various seeds to get a different effect, much like creating a new magic item. I think that epic spells are really only limited by the imagination of the palyers and DM involved.

irdeggman
02-15-2005, 12:57 AM
Let me first state that I am not all that comfortable with the mixing of what were battle spels with realm spells so some of my comments are based on that premise.

I also think that the most all of the mass spells should work on units. The advantage of ahving the battlecaster feat is that the spells can be used in battle, otherwise they must be used outside of the battle.

Cure Unit (Cure Light Wounds):
Effect: Heals 1 hit to a damaged unit (see below)
Cost: 5 RP and 1 GB
Design Note: Since all Cure spells are healing spells but don&#39;t raise the dead, such a spell could not restore slain soldiers in a unit. Hence, the effects should be limited to healing no more than 1/2 the damage taken by a unit (round up). More potent (higher-level) versions could be researched, each healing an additional hit of damage (CMW = 2 hits, CSW = 3 hits, CCW = 4 hits), but given the low hits of most units these wouldn&#39;t be very practical.

My concept is that this is a battle spell and not a realm spell. Hence this shoud the effect of the first level of the mass spell and not the singular cure light wounds spell.

Heal the Army (Mass Cure Light Wounds):
Effect: Heals 1 hit per damaged unit targeted

I&#39;d bump this one up to the cure moderate wounds, mass spell and then use the higher level cure, mass spells to have a greater effect.

Shield Unit (Shield of Faith)
Cost: 5 RP + 1 GB
Effect: +2 deflection bonus to target unit&#39;s defense, with an additional +1 to the bonus for every six caster levels you have (maximum +5 deflection bonus at 18th level).

Again I consider this a battle spell and not a realm spell and hence would use the mass version instead.

Shield the Legions (Shield of Faith, mass)
Effect: +2 deflection bonus to target units&#39; defense, with an additional +1 to the bonus for every six caster levels you have (maximum +5 deflection bonus at 18th level).

I wouldn&#39;t use this one at all. Again it is based on my concept of battle spells and not mixing them with realm spells.

Osprey
02-15-2005, 06:17 AM
Irdeggman,
Does your opposition to the "mixing" of battle and realm spells mean that there shouldn&#39;t be any unit-affecting realm spells, only province-targeting ones? Otherwise, where exactly are you drawing a line, and based on what premise for this distinction other than personal preference?
There are some really massive differences between battle spells and realm spells:
1. Battle spells have a casting time of 1 battle round (est. 10-15 minutes). Realm spells have a casting time of 1 month - WAY more ritual casting involved.
2. Battle spells can be cast by any spellcaster with the Battle Magic feat and appropriately prepared spells and components. This includes unblooded casters (mainly clerics), which would make them potentially far more common than realm spells. Realm spells are cast by regent spellcasters - a very limited pool.
3. Going along with #2, realm spells are fueled by more than expensive components and some ritual casting - they have incredibly extensive ritual, components, and most importantly, regency channeled through an appropriate medium (source or temple).
4. Conclusion: Realm spells should be significantly more powerful than battle spells. There shouldn&#39;t be grounds for confusion because realm spells should be obviously far more potent and widespread in their effects than battle spells. Period.

A 5th level Battle Spell: Mass Cure Light Wounds might heal 1 hit on a unit - on the other hand, it makes perfect sense to me that a 1st level Realm Spell, Cure Unit (Cure Light Wounds core spell), might produce a similar effect. It doesn&#39;t require a 9th level cleric to cast it, but instead requires a level or more of temple, GB, RP, and a month of ritual prayer, chanting, invocation, etc.

This seems like a fairly reasonable trade-off to me. Realm spells, by channeling ritual power and the power of regency and temples or sources, can expand the scale of a simple spell to make it affect a MUCH larger area.

If Cure Unit were a 5th or 6th level realm spell, it would be worthless and no one would ever bother learning it. Especially since it doesn&#39;t include raising soldiers from the dead (the only power that could completely heal a unit that has suffered damage).

irdeggman
02-15-2005, 11:46 AM
The line I would draw is that battle spells affect the field of battle only or a unit (or number of units). The duration of battle spells (except for the curing/damage ones) should have a limited duration (i.e., no longer than the batle itself - a number of battle rounds).

Realm spells affect things on the province level and/or have duration that run more than a number of battle rounds. The summon monster/undead unit spells fall into this category.

I agree with the distinction in power level between battle and realm spells and that is something I&#39;m trying to punctuate this by make a more clear demarkation between the two. Suggestions for how to more finely lay it out are welcome.

One of the basis for distinction I am using is the introduction of the mass spells in 3.5 (at least the proliferation of them). By their very nature these spells cry out to have a unit level application.

Another is, as you point out, to allow a non-blooded caster to have an effect on the battle. Many of the spells listed as Realm spells in the playtest document were battle spells in 2nd ed.

And another is to place a clearer demarkation of the power level. Since many of the mass spells are standard spells and could clearly (well reasonably at least) affect a unit&#39;s hits and abilities.

One of the things I think is that a spellcaster without the Battle Caster feat can still use the mass spells to affect a unit, only not on the battlefield. This is something that came up since WotC introduced so many mass versions of spells and just cries for them to be addressed. We need to come up with a list of effects for the various mass spells on how they affect a unit - but that shouldn&#39;t be too hard. I wouldn&#39;t recommend doing that and keeping the battle magic effects more vague, but for these specific spells since they have the "mass" description in them it makes sense. I don&#39;t think we should go to the level of writing up a battle level description of every standard spell that could be used on the battlefield becasue this puts a level of complication on the game play behind what non-wargamers generally like to deal with plus it is a never-ending cycle. It can be done, and we need to decide if that is the way we want to structure battle magic or not. Basically all of these things are going to be based on how we structure battle magic. I sense another poll or 3 coming up ;)

I&#39;m thinking the next thing we tackle is the battle chapter/system but I&#39;m torn on how far to go with the upcoming mass combat rules coming out from WotC.

At the end of everything (some time before I die, I hope :rolleyes: ) I&#39;d like to have a supplement that gives stats for the units (once we decide on how they are structured) for the various other systems out there; Cry Havoc and Fields of Blood are the two that come to mind right now, for people who wish to use those rules instead. We can without a doubt legally do write ups of stats that mesh with those systems as long as we don&#39;t reproduce the mechanics (i.e., we still require people to have those books in order to use those systems). Oh well very long term goal.

irdeggman
02-15-2005, 11:48 AM
And I would also not have 2 levels of spells (battle/realm) with the same effect. That is there shouldn&#39;t be both a battle spell that cures a unit&#39;s hits and a realm spell that does the same thing. IMO battlespells are just an application of standard spells on a larger scale.

Danip
02-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Another is, as you point out, to allow a non-blooded caster to have an effect on the battle. Many of the spells listed as Realm spells in the playtest document were battle spells in 2nd ed.

Hmmm... While full wizards are rare, clerics are not. BR is somewhat low level, but there will be a few clerics high enough level to cast battle effect spells in any temple. That is a lot of clerics in battles, rather changes the battle system if they have an effect. I rather like the psuedo-realistic level of combat in BRs wars. Not so many wizards flying about and fireballing. Can think of knights and infantry making a difference, not like FR wars. While clerics arnt as flashy as wizards, do we want to open up battles to them?

Cleric regents sure. But a dozen or more high level clerics in each temple would change the flavor of battle if we took them into account, IMO.

Danip
02-15-2005, 02:00 PM
On further reflection, I am not totally opposed to the idea of non-blooded clerics having an effect on units in or out of battle. I am opposed to one cleric being effective or game changing.

Rather I am thinking of a system like:
A temple (5) or large [a big one] can place priests with a military unit. Similar to the train unit action, clerics join the unit and give it some bonus. This bonus could be balanced with other bonueses that training a unit can give, in both cost and benifit. What the bonus is might depend upon the faith, set when the joint unit if formed. The bonus might also be chosen differently for each battle, to reflect clerics ability to chose different spells each day. The names of these different bonuses could correlate with the names of standard mass spells. Mass bull&#39;s strength give +2 melee, mass cure a faster heal rate for the month, etc.

Single clerics healing unit hits or giving bonuses dont fit well in the abstract domain system. How do you decide how many 7th level clerics there are in a province? How many RP or GB do they cost? Are they free because they work for the church already?

If you agree the proliferation of NPC cleric&#39;s individually affecting battles in large numbers is bad, there is still the question of what a high level PC cleric can do. Perhaps allow them to join one of these joint cleric/army units. Costs might be waived as well as training, but only because a single PC exception will not break the system.

I think this kind of system (training-like bonuses, def+, tough+, etc.) helps give temple holdings a place in battle. Much flavor and balanced fun could be got out of the system. A high level PC taking the place of a team of clerics will feel useful, powerful, and cool. But a single casting of a mass divine spell would not be represented, because the abstract domain level and the D&D individual level needs lots of hand waving and abstraction to play well together.

Balance first, BR flavor second,......then maybe realism, IMO. Otherwise we are playing Forgotten Realms in its silly glory...

ConjurerDragon
02-15-2005, 04:30 PM
Danip schrieb:

>This post was generated by the Birthright.net message forum.

> You can view the entire thread at:

> http://www.birthright.net/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=36&t=2792

>

> Danip wrote:

>

>

>------------ QUOTE ----------

>Another is, as you point out, to allow a non-blooded caster to have an effect on the battle. Many of the spells listed as Realm spells in the playtest document were battle spells in 2nd ed.

>-----------------------------

>

>

>

>Hmmm... While full wizards are rare, clerics are not.

>

At least not in 3E of the game. In 2E Clerics while having no need to be

blooded, were also rarer than in other worlds, as every cleric was a

specialty priest of a god, who had not only to fulfill the simple Wisdom

9 requirement of the 2E PHB, but also additional requirements for each

god, e.g.

Priests of Haelyn needed to fulfill Wisdom 9, Strength 9, Charisma 12.

That reduced the statistical number of possible clerics in 2E Birthright.

> BR is somewhat low level, but there will be a few clerics high enough level to cast battle effect spells in any temple. That is a lot of clerics in battles, rather changes the battle system if they have an effect.

>

In ANY temple? With the exception of the presented, exceptional

characters, according to the Book of Priestcraft only 1% of all NPC

clerics in temples are level 6+.

Another reason why not so many priests could influence battles with

massive battlespells was that in 2E those priests simply would not get

all spells granted by their gods, due to the sphere system which

restricted which cleric could cast which spell, and as the battlespells

were loosely based on the normal spell, restricted which battlespell

could be cast.

>I rather like the psuedo-realistic level of combat in BRs wars. Not so many wizards flying about and fireballing. Can think of knights and infantry making a difference, not like FR wars. While clerics arnt as flashy as wizards, do we want to open up battles to them?

>

>

IMO I would like to see clerics in battle - however I would definitely

not like to see 100 clerics of Nesirie casting "Hammer Storm" because in

3E all clerics can cast all spells from the Cleric list...

bye

Michael

Raesene Andu
02-15-2005, 07:47 PM
Most priests aren&#39;t going to be a high level so most aren&#39;t going to be able to cast the high level spells.

Danip
02-15-2005, 09:38 PM
A debate about how many high level clerics there are in 3e BR temples is exactly what I want to avoid. A certain level of abstraction needs to be maintained for domain level action to work. You start getting PCs arguing that their temple should have X NPCs who can cast Hammer Storm... Then the Law regent complains because his high level NPCs dont get powerful battle effects....

Slippery slope....

Thomas_Percy
02-16-2005, 09:52 AM
About chapter 7

The intricacies of nature are complex – it is impossible for a regent to know which source holdings will be destroyed when province level increases. The DM should determine the ownership of a destroyed source level randomly.
Imho a wizard knows what he has. He created holding in the source place, maybe ley line. He knows history and abilities of the place.
If an aristocrat destroys source holding by increasing the province level, he can cooperate with a mage and choose what to destroy.

Source manifestations are difficult to find. By their very nature, manifestations are most likely to occur in the most remote and untracked areas of a province. Locating a source manifestation is a difficult and time-consuming process.
Where is game mechanics: skills, DCs?
Where are special abilities and quailiteis of the source beyond DR, SR and regeneration?

A mage may only attempt to claim a source (0) in a manifestation already claimed by another mage if the other agrees to allow the action to succeed.
I don&#39;t understand. Does old holder of the source knows at will as a free action? How can he forbid another wizard to create a 0 level holding there?

Ley lines are a non-transferable domain asset.* When a regent dies, her ley network is destroyed.* Ley lines cannot be used or invested to another caster. The only exception to this rule is the use of the ley lines by the regent&#39;s lieutenant as part of a lieutenant domain action.
Why a ley line can be used by lieutenent and cannot be invested as a inheritance?

The targets of a realm spell must be in the same province as the caster throughout the casting of the spell. Spells that affect military units only affect military units that are stationed in the target province for the entire month.
It makes a realm spells useless in the warfare, because enemy commaner will shift his units to avoid month time of stationing in one province. I think, realms spells can be prepared ahead of time (a month) and casted as a standard or full round action exactly when are necessary.

and by the way:

Druids are able to cast divine realm spells as if the unclaimed source holdings in the province were temple holdings under their control.
Druids&#39; holdings can be rated as sources - for every purpose.

Raesene Andu
02-16-2005, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Thomas_Percy@Feb 16 2005, 07:22 PM

Imho a wizard knows what he has. He created holding in the source place, maybe ley line. He knows history and abilities of the place.
If an aristocrat destroys source holding by increasing the province level, he can cooperate with a mage and choose what to destroy.

Realistically, a source is destroyed because the population increase in the province polutes it. For example, a wizard in a 4/3 province may have a source holding in a forest near on of the major settlements. if the province increases in size, then it is likely that the people of this settlement will need more wood, resrouces etc, so this holding is the most likely one to be destroyed, instead of one located in the wilds of the province somewhere.

If a wizard provides advice to the landed regent, then it is quite likely that he can direct the source level destruction to occur to a rival&#39;s sources not his own. The landed regent could issue a decree forbidding logging in the forest or something like that. Of course, no true wizard would allow any uppity landed regent to get away with something like this, and would give any who tried a smart clip around the ear for destroying the magical potential of the land.

A mage may only attempt to claim a source (0) in a manifestation already claimed by another mage if the other agrees to allow the action to succeed.
I don&#39;t understand. Does old holder of the source knows at will as a free action? How can he forbid another wizard to create a 0 level holding there?

I agee, this is a significant change to the rules, as it would mean that a wizard who controlled all the source manifestations in the province could stop any another wizard for building a new holding.

The only way this would work is if you rules that there were more source manifestations than the magic potential level might suggest, but only a certain number could be tapped as sources at any one time. As sources are onyl really tapped for power when a realm spell is cast though, this sort of arrangement is very difficult to justify.

Why a ley line can be used by lieutenent and cannot be invested as a inheritance?

I&#39;m divided about this ruling, it only seems to be useful to prevent wizarding families like the Aglondiers building up a vast network of ley lines. It would be better to re-introduce the old 1 rp/ley line maintenance.

Wizard should also be able to loan their ley lines and sources to any allied wizard they want as well, I don&#39;t see any good reason why they can&#39;t do this. They could in 2E, so why drop it now.

The targets of a realm spell must be in the same province as the caster throughout the casting of the spell. Spells that affect military units only affect military units that are stationed in the target province for the entire month.
It makes a realm spells useless in the warfare, because enemy commaner will shift his units to avoid month time of stationing in one province. I think, realms spells can be prepared ahead of time (a month) and casted as a standard or full round action exactly when are necessary.

I disagree, realm spells are very useful in warfare, very useful indeed. Like everything though, you just need to use them properly.

irdeggman
02-16-2005, 04:44 PM
Thomas_Percy,

I have to ask how familiar you are with the 2nd ed BR rules? This is important becasue most of my responses assume a knowledge of them.

The intricacies of nature are complex – it is impossible for a regent to know which source holdings will be destroyed when province level increases. The DM should determine the ownership of a destroyed source level randomly.

Per the BoM only a wizard can tell where a source is. Even if a regent controls the source he can’t locate it unless he is a wizard. Thus raising the population level or razing the forest, etc. is an indiscriminate process and will destroy all the sources within the area affected. If the regent is also a wizard then he can indeed tell exactly where to raise the area and thus keep his sources/manifestations the last affected.

Source manifestations are difficult to find. By their very nature, manifestations are most likely to occur in the most remote and untracked areas of a province. Locating a source manifestation is a difficult and time-consuming process.

Where is game mechanics: skills, DCs?
Where are special abilities and quailiteis of the source beyond DR, SR and regeneration?

Good point this needs to be better spelled out. But locating the source is essentially the same a creating a source holding and would follow the same mechanics, or at the very least real similar ones.

In 2nd ed a regent (any type) knew immediately if his holdings were being threatened. It was part of his tie to them. In 3.5 mechanics I would make this a reflexive action (i.e., an immediate free action) that is indeed automatic (at least normally there may arise circumstances that change this). This would be similar to a Spot check used to determine if an ambush was going to happen, it is not a conscious character action it is a reflexive one. Now this issue about not creating a ) level source is also a bit strange since it doesn&#39;t apply to other holding types and IMO the same restrictions should apply to both cases. No IMO any regent with a similar type of holding instinctively knows when another holding of the same type is undegoing any type of action (e.g., rule, create, contest, etc.). This is part of the mystical tie a regent has to his holdings.

Ley lines are a non-transferable domain asset. When a regent dies, her ley network is destroyed. Ley lines cannot be used or invested to another caster. The only exception to this rule is the use of the ley lines by the regent&#39;s lieutenant as part of a lieutenant domain action.

The Lt rule is a little strange and I’m not real certain I agree with it myself. The fact that ley lines couldn’t be transferred was spelled out in the BoM. The only way they could be was if the regent performed a ley link action which temporarily transferred the ley line to someone else and the regent no longer had access to it for the duration of the action.

Mostly see the thread on battle magic and realm magic so we can figure out where the two types fall.

and by the way:

Druids are able to cast divine realm spells as if the unclaimed source holdings in the province were temple holdings under their control.

Druids&#39; holdings can be rated as sources - for every purpose.

??? I don’t where you are going with this one. Basically a druid can increase the effectiveness of his temple holdings in this manner. He does not gain a source per say and cannot perform any actions that require a source, e.g. ley lines, arcane realm spells. A druid casts divine spells and not arcane ones. This was done to reflect that druids have their power base in low populated areas and thus are severely hampered in their ability to cast realm spells.

Thomas_Percy
02-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by irdeggman@Feb 16 2005, 05:44 PM
I have to ask how familiar you are with the 2nd ed BR rules?* This is important becasue most of my responses assume a knowledge of them.
I think my personal skill at rules does not matter.
As I understand, You are a new rules maker.
You can change everything You want to make Brt better, compact, simple and full of new possibilities for PCs.
If old rules limit Your imagination, ignore them.
I think one of the greatest victories of D&D 3E over AD&D is to eliminate most things incoherent, complicated and everything what limits our imagination.

Imho conversation about "what X wrote on the page Y at the accessory Z" is a waste of time, because it&#39;s a past, and You are the man who makes the future of Brt.

We are thinking Brt is the best campaign ever. But Brt is a bankrupt. So Your task is to answer "why Brt is a bankrupt", remove old mistakes and create new quality.

irdeggman
02-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Thomas_Percy+Feb 17 2005, 11:16 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thomas_Percy @ Feb 17 2005, 11:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-irdeggman@Feb 16 2005, 05:44 PM
I have to ask how familiar you are with the 2nd ed BR rules?* This is important becasue most of my responses assume a knowledge of them.
I think my personal skill at rules does not matter.
As I understand, You are a new rules maker.
You can change everything You want to make Brt better, compact, simple and full of new possibilities for PCs.
If old rules limit Your imagination, ignore them.
I think one of the greatest victories of D&D 3E over AD&D is to eliminate most things incoherent, complicated and everything what limits our imagination.

Imho conversation about "what X wrote on the page Y at the accessory Z" is a waste of time, because it&#39;s a past, and You are the man who makes the future of Brt.

We are thinking Brt is the best campaign ever. But Brt is a bankrupt. So Your task is to answer "why Brt is a bankrupt", remove old mistakes and create new quality. [/b][/quote]
I have to disagree.

It is not my job to convince you something is not bankrupt dince that will always be a matter of opinion, it is only my job to say why something was chosen to be the way it was or to clarify the intent in what was written (BRCS wise). When the sanctioning votes come up is when people say yeah or neigh to the whole.

Check out the thread in the FAQ section where it lays out the goals and philosophy of the BRCS project.

That is what we are trying to keep to.

http://www.birthright.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2340

This is not a brand new campaign like Eberron. This is a revision to an existing campaign that most of us loved when it was first introduced and we are here because of that affection. And this is why I brought up the question of how much you knew of the source material since that is what shaped the setting and the "flavor" and "feel" of that shape is what we are trying to maintain. Not all of that made it into the BRCS so some of the history of the setting was missing and that is what needs clarification, IMO.

Now I thought I went through your previous comments with the intent of saying why it was that way not with saying I agreed or not. In fact most of the time I said that the issues you had brought up definitely needed clarification.

There have been a lot of dissenting opinions on whether or not this should be a straight up conversion (ignoring 3.5 mechanics) of the 2nd ed game which is why the development team came up with those design philosophies and have tried to keep true to them.

Thomas_Percy
02-17-2005, 06:55 PM
Thanks for explanation, I will read this FAQ thread gladly.
I&#39;m a newbie here, so sorry for some not especially fresh for experienced members ideas. :)

irdeggman
02-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Thomas_Percy@Feb 17 2005, 01:55 PM
Thanks for explanation, I will read this FAQ thread gladly.
I&#39;m a newbie here, so sorry for some not especially fresh for experienced members ideas. :)
Thee is no problem with being new - I didn&#39;t mean to come off as condescending either.

It is probably a good idea if the frame of reference is explained when first chiming in though. What I mean is that there are many people who have been playing BR since it first came out, read all the boooks (what was the number 6 I think or in that ballpark) and have done extensive house-ruling over the years.

We have discovered over some of the past "heated" discussion that some peole have been using house-rules so long they forgot they were in fact house rules and never in the official 2nd ed material. So going back to the source is important in trying to figure out what or why things work the way they did.

But it is also important to realize that while the source material is indeed important it is also rife with editorial errors and inconsistencies. BR was one of the worst products issued by TR quality-wise, since it was the last "new" setting that TSR isssued prior to going belly up and IIRC the only "new" issued after BR was a revison to Dark Sun.

Thomas_Percy
02-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Raesene Andu@Feb 16 2005, 11:31 AM
Realistically, a source is destroyed because the population increase in the province polutes it. For example, a wizard in a 4/3 province may have a source holding in a forest near on of the major settlements. if the province increases in size, then it is likely that the people of this settlement will need more wood, resrouces etc, so this holding is the most likely one to be destroyed, instead of one located in the wilds of the province somewhere.
The sources can automaticaly regrown (respawn) like a plants (or fey creatures) in the deserted area.
The sources can move like a living creature made of pure raw magic who wants to live always in the wildest place of province. It can be even the creature itself, eg. ancient dragon, a balor. In my upcoming campaign one of PCs will be the source.
Some (the strongest) sources can be impregnable to ANY destruction, for example Rhuannoch oak-tower. You know: hardness XXX, SR XXX and so on.

Osprey
02-25-2005, 06:10 AM
Today I sat down and went through the cleric spell list and came up with a good 15 or so divine realm spells more or less directly converted from personal spells - the majority of them are unit-enhancing (wards and protections mainly), something that ends up looking like a great set of counters to all that arcane battle magic...also a lot more summoning and greater necromancy, and some extra higher level spells to even out the list of possibilities at all levels.

In fact, what the heck...here&#39;s the list (Word) to download if anyone&#39;s interested. It&#39;s not exhaustive, but it&#39;s a pretty decent list for a range of possibilities. I like having more choices than a character could possibly know, it makes choosing which spells to learn that much more tense and difficult. :D

The Jew
02-25-2005, 07:02 AM
Resist energy gives a bonus on an individual level, but not unit level. Maybe give ignore 1 hit from energy attack, followed by 2 then 3 at higher levels.

Greater legion of death. What if the mummy rot instead of giving an extra hit the following round instead inflicted 1 hit each following week, and disallowed natural healing. Healing magic would still work, but does not remove the rot. IF the unit stays in a 5th level or higher temple for a week, the rot will be removed. Presumably their would be enough priests or paladins to cast remove disease.

Would Aura of Righteousness SR protect against realm spells?

Wrath of Nature requires a source, but it is a druid spell? If you are allowing druids access to sources the monthly effects don&#39;t quite work. Excluding elves, no realm that has a 5-6 level source could have a holding type which earns more than 2 GB&#39;s. To have a level 7 source precludes any development, so a -1 to province level would be meaningless.

Legion of heroes calls upon outsiders. No where have I read that the gods have these outsiders, or are in any way associated with them. What if the legion of heroes was comprised of the greatest heroes of that god, like the horn of ???? from the Wheel of Time series. So one summoned by and Andurias priest would probably call forth the greatest Andurians of the Empires history, led by the first Roele himself.

All in all I really like your new realm spells, though I haven&#39;t really looked at balance issues.

Thomas_Percy
02-25-2005, 09:48 AM
New BRCS Anuire due to the low levels of spellcasters and small quantity of magical items is helpless when some PC summons even medium demon/devil/shadow/etc. with the order to destroy armies at garrirons and nobles at homes.
"Single hero with single magical blade in the kingdom tracking a succubus at horse".
And now we have new realm spells allowing to summon more outsiders & undeads.
Only hope is a realm spells are an alternative to PHB way of magic defense of kingdoms.

Nevertheless, as a fan of medium-magic Brt thank You, Osprey, for good and useful work.

Osprey
02-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Resist energy gives a bonus on an individual level, but not unit level. Maybe give ignore 1 hit from energy attack, followed by 2 then 3 at higher levels.

Good catch. Yeah, 1/2/3 energy soaking works.

Greater legion of death. What if the mummy rot instead of giving an extra hit the following round instead inflicted 1 hit each following week, and disallowed natural healing. Healing magic would still work, but does not remove the rot. IF the unit stays in a 5th level or higher temple for a week, the rot will be removed. Presumably their would be enough priests or paladins to cast remove disease.

Hmmm...there&#39;s a real good reason for that extra hit of damage...mummy rot&#39;s initial incubation period is only one minute. Then, Whammo&#33; big CON drop. I figured that + the blow of a mummy would probably kill most any soldier struck...so very few soldiers will actually survive long enough for long-term incubation to be an issue. Mummy rot doesn&#39;t mention it being a contagious disease, only a mummy can spread it, so it didn&#39;t make sense for the entire unit to become afflicted with the disease. I&#39;d just use it as a plot device where certain survivors against mummies contract mummy rot and must deal with the effects...gross.

Would Aura of Righteousness SR protect against realm spells?
I would imagine that it would protect the unit from the effects of an evil realm spell, yes. Assuming that spell can be resisted by spell resistance in the first place.
I don&#39;t see realm spells as typically being more potent/intense than normal spells - it is their scope: area/people affected and duration being the two immense expansions over normal spells.

Legion of heroes calls upon outsiders. No where have I read that the gods have these outsiders, or are in any way associated with them. What if the legion of heroes was comprised of the greatest heroes of that god, like the horn of ???? from the Wheel of Time series. So one summoned by and Andurias priest would probably call forth the greatest Andurians of the Empires history, led by the first Roele himself.

Actually, I&#39;ve seen it mentioned several times that outsiders are normally seen only when they are summoned. But they do get summoned, which means they are known of, so why wouldn&#39;t the gods have some outsiders as exalted servants, champions, generals, etc?

My concept was that outsiders serve every god of Cerilia. While the baseline spirits of the faithful are simply shades, those who are raised up, either through faithful service in life or as a spirit, evolve into higher (more advanced) forms of being, which might equate fairly well to some of the various infernal or celestial beings.

Roele himself might be that bad-assed Solar leading the legion of heroes summoned by the great Archprelate of the Impregnable Heart (not the one from RoE, of course - this is a 17th+ level one). The Solar could easily resemble Roele in his last incarnation, but there should be (IMO) a strong transformative element too, so it&#39;s more like a resemblance than an old hero reincarnated.

That was the concept I had for the angelic and fiendish figures populating the courts of the Gods, anyways. The less human-ish outsiders (like archons) I figure are either more human in appearance, or just not all that appropriate. But angels and eladrins fit pretty well in almost any Euro-based fantasy setting IMO.

Wrath of Nature requires a source, but it is a druid spell? If you are allowing druids access to sources the monthly effects don&#39;t quite work. Excluding elves, no realm that has a 5-6 level source could have a holding type which earns more than 2 GB&#39;s. To have a level 7 source precludes any development, so a -1 to province level would be meaningless.

Meaningless? No...there are provinces in Cerilia published in 2e with 9 levels of source potential, making a 2/7 province quite possible. Swamps have 8, so 1/7 for them... a swamp with dragon bones or a magic cave or something could easily be 9, 10, or more if a DM dared...

I also have major rivers adding +1 to the source potential to any provinces for which they form a major border...as they were originally meant to, I think, but somehow this got glossed over in the mapmaking process.

Think outside the box[ed set]. ;)

I&#39;m fairly certain that the 3.5 BRCS will be using Druids as source regents and/or temple regents, but not ley line users, which will limit them to local realm magic just like clerics and temples.

Wrath of Nature was one spell I decided was silly if based on a temple, since it&#39;s like hitting a month-long ritual self-destruct button on the temple&#39;s province. But clerics do have Earthquake and Control Weather as spells (2 of the 3 base spells for Wrath of Nature - Whirlwind was the other one)...talk to your DM if you want such a thing. :P

Source as requirement seemed most appropriate, it is the pure force of nature which MUST be present to enact such powerful control over the elements. The stronger nature is, the more powerful its wrath can be. Folks living in a 2/7 province had darn well better respect the power of nature...

Wrath of Nature was meant to be one of these spells:
"Do not, repeat, do NOT defy, offend, or otherwise piss off the Archdruid&#33; You don&#39;t want to see him when he&#39;s angry..."

Next up...the Incredible Hulk spell (forget Tenser)&#33; :lol:

New BRCS Anuire due to the low levels of spellcasters and small quantity of magical items is helpless when some PC summons even medium demon/devil/shadow/etc. with the order to destroy armies at garrirons and nobles at homes.
"Single hero with single magical blade in the kingdom tracking a succubus at horse".
And now we have new realm spells allowing to summon more outsiders & undeads.
Only hope is a realm spells are an alternative to PHB way of magic defense of kingdoms.

Actually, the new BRCS/Atlas has all of the original NPC&#39;s at equal and slightly higher levels than the original 2e Birthright.

Also, I pity the game that tries to keep everything (including PC&#39;s) around these levels, rather than allowing PC&#39;s and NPC&#39;s to advance and evolve. As successful regents, they should also advance their realms too. As good competition, they&#39;ll inspire their rivals (or those who survive, at least) to develop more, too - if only the PC&#39;s are levelling up, they will quickly be without challenges, and the stagnant world around them will be painfully transparent. Not too exciting and dynamic IMO.

So most of my designs for BR are built to include the full range of levels and power potentials- it&#39;s not enough to design a world for only low-mid levels, it&#39;s important to provide a framework and guidelines (and some good concrete examples) for development and PC/NPC leveling through a full heroic campaign. 3.5e D&D is built around a 20 level progression - a conversion project should account for that, along with possibilities of the beyond [epic].

Thomas_Percy
02-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Osprey@Feb 25 2005, 06:30 PM
Also, I pity the game that tries to keep everything (including PC&#39;s) around these levels, rather than allowing PC&#39;s and NPC&#39;s to advance and evolve. As successful regents, they should also advance their realms too. As good competition, they&#39;ll inspire their rivals (or those who survive, at least) to develop more, too - if only the PC&#39;s are levelling up, they will quickly be without challenges, and the stagnant world around them will be painfully transparent. Not too exciting and dynamic IMO.
Is it means that Rhoubhe Manslayer, The Gorgon or The Magian, ancient creatures with the power to do everything what they like with piteous rulers like Avan (with his 3-rd level wizard), do nothing for milenia, because there were no PCs around?
The regard, even admiration for enemies is a important thing in a building of Bad Guys, especially long-time enemies.

Osprey
02-26-2005, 04:01 PM
Is it means that Rhoubhe Manslayer, The Gorgon or The Magian, ancient creatures with the power to do everything what they like with piteous rulers like Avan (with his 3-rd level wizard), do nothing for milenia, because there were no PCs around?
The regard, even admiration for enemies is a important thing in a building of Bad Guys, especially long-time enemies.

Definitely. And once the PC&#39;s start becoming powerful and successful, they will also start gaining the notice and attention of those super-villains...who might even take a few notes.

IMC, the Gorgon watched certain regents becoming incredibly successful through strong rulership and the building of Wonders - and ended up emulating certain ones (like building his own version of a war academy, the Klling Fields of Kal-Saitherek). He&#39;s enjoying this fresh infusion of Anuirean power - it will be the first good challenge he&#39;s faced in over five centuries&#33;