PDA

View Full Version : Chap 5 - How Should RP be gained?

irdeggman
05-13-2004, 12:11 AM
This poll is to get an idea of how to handle RP collection. This is so that we can focus our energies on the method that is preferred instead of dividing them amongst mutiple options. The two choices - skill-based and class-based are just to determine systems, not the specific mechanics. There is a lot of discussion/suggestions for different variations contained in the following thread:

http://www.birthright.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2554

CAUTION: Do not null your vote in order to check out the results. If you do you will indeed be able to view the results (so far) but will not be able to vote.

The Jew
05-13-2004, 01:51 AM
Tough choice, but I voted for something else. I think class system should be used as a cap for gaining regency from different holding types. In order to reach that cap though ranks in certain skills would still be required. This helps even out the proces so that bards and rogues aren't dominant, yet still keeps it realistic by making more experienced rulers also be more effective rulers.

Raesene Andu
05-13-2004, 05:53 AM
I voted for the skill based system, as I think that works well. It forces players to make a choice about how good a regent they are going to be, by gaining ranks in the required skills.

The system may need some tweeking though.

Don E
05-13-2004, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by irdeggman@May 13 2004, 01:11 AM
CAUTION: Do not null your vote in order to check out the results. If you do you will indeed be able to view the results (so far) but will not be able to vote.

If one really have to look at the poll results before one votes, simply log off, check the vote, and log back on again to vote.

Personally I think the skill based collection rules would be most usefull in small games where the GM can manage to keep track of things. I think the BRCS should be easily usable for all games, so voted for class based.

irdeggman
05-13-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Don E@May 13 2004, 02:44 AM
If one really have to look at the poll results before one votes, simply log off, check the vote, and log back on again to vote.

But - you can't view the results unless you either cast a vote or choose null vote, in either case you can't change your vote, it's tied to your login ID.

irdeggman
05-13-2004, 09:56 AM
Let's see so far we have 2 votes for something else but only one person posted what that something else should be.

We need specifics here, vagueness doesn't help neither does an uncommented "something else" vote or something along the lines of "bring me another rock".

Benjamin
05-13-2004, 11:53 AM
I am one of the few that voted for class-based system as printed for 2E. I think it is simple, quick, and easy. I like those aspects.

However, I do like the BRCS way of needing skills to collect full RP. That makes sense, in a way. More complicated, but makes sense.

So maybe a combination of the two? Certain classes can only ever gain RP from certain holdings. What amount they can get from the holdings allowed, though, is skill based.

Maybe that's how it is written in 3E book already - I am not that familiar with it, so please don't scorn my ignorance if I'm just repeating something. :)

Don E
05-13-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by irdeggman@May 13 2004, 10:53 AM
But - you can't view the results unless you either cast a vote or choose null vote, in either case you can't change your vote, it's tied to your login ID.

Hence why you log out. When you view the boards as a guest the poll results show, but you cannot vote. Have a look, then log back on to cast yout vote.

Athos69
05-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Won't that invalidate the poll results then, making it possible for one person who wanted to push the results in a certain direction to keep voting for their favourite option as a guest?

I would asssume that the voting is logged by IP, not account activity, but I don't feel like testing it out.

Osprey
05-13-2004, 06:02 PM
Only members can actually cast a vote, but I believe guests are allowed to view the poll results. However, I think it rather defeats the purpose of the entire system of polls/voting to view what others are voting for before casting your own vote. Rather like democracy by show of hands instead of closed ballot. This system was obviously intended to be closed ballot.

Osprey

tcharazazel
05-13-2004, 06:09 PM
Why would you want to see how people have voted before you do anyway? Can't you make up your own mind?

RaspK_FOG
05-13-2004, 10:42 PM
First of all, logging in as a guest, seeing how things are so far and then voting defeats the whole idea of voting. It is like saying: "I don't do what I like, I just like siding with the winners!" If you feel proud of such an accomplishment, be our guest (pun intented)...

As for the poll, I have to say that I like skills best, but using class features is a bood point in any case. An idea would be that a noble can choose from a list of class features to get, one of which is providing a competence to RP-producing skills.

irdeggman
05-14-2004, 09:22 AM
Just for the record I voted for the skill based system. I've always liked it best but was basing my case on the discussion that ocurred a long time ago concerning the issue. This is the first vote though so hopefully it will put an end to the discussion, well at least as far as what should be in the BRCS not what people think.

The Jew
05-14-2004, 12:52 PM
In defence of those poor slobs whose character has been attacked in this discussion :P . If I have a predecided position on an issue I would just vote, then look at results. If I am undecided and need time to think, I would want to see the poll results out of idle curiousity.

irdeggman
05-26-2004, 02:09 PM
OK it is time to close this poll. Here are the results:

How should RP be gained?
1) Using a skill-based system (see BRCS-playtest for an example) [ 13 ] [61.90%]
2) Using a class-based system (see the 2nd ed BRRB for 2nd ed style example) [ 6 ] [28.57%]
3) Something else (Please specify) [ 2 ] [9.52%]
4) Abstain (or I don't really care) [ 0 ] [0.00%]

So it looks like RP should be gained using a skill-based system (more than 2 to one).