PDA

View Full Version : The High Mage Aelies

fiftyone
04-26-2004, 10:42 PM
The High Mage Aelies
Medium Humanoid (half-elf)
Level 17 Wizard/Scion of Vorynn
Hit Dice: 16d4 plus 1d6+20+27 (82 hp)
Initiative: +5 (+1 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative).
Speed: 40 ft. (8 squares, 30ft. base, 10ft. Boots of Striding and Springing)
AC: 14 (+1 Dex, +3 Ring of Protection), touch 14, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple: +8/+10
Attack: +4 defending light mace +10 (to +14) melee (1d6+2 [to +6])
Full Attack: +4 defending light mace +10/+5 (to +14/+9) melee (1d6+2 [to +6]), or touch spell +10 or ranged touch spell +9
Face/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: none
Special Qualities: Half Elf traits, Blood Abilities, 50% miss chance when being attacked (greater cloak of displacement)
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +14.
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 12, Int 20, Wis 14, Cha 16.
Skills: Bluff +9, Concentration +11, Decipher Script +12, Diplomacy +9, Jump +7 (+12), Knowledge (arcana) +23, Knowledge (dungoneering) +10, Knowledge (geography) + 11, Knowledge (nature) +12, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +10, Lead +7, Listen +3, Perform (singing) +8, Search +7, Spot +3, Survival +7, Use Magic Device +11, Warcraft +6
Feats: Battle Caster, Craft Wand, Craft Wonderous Item, Extend Spell, Forge Ring, Improved Counterspell, Improved Initiative, Magical Aptitude, Quicken Spell
Bloodline: Major (Vorynn) 40.
Blood Abilities: Animal Affinity – owls (minor), Bloodmark (minor), Enhanced Senses (major), Protection from Evil (major), Unreadable Thoughts (major)

Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 18.
Treasure: See Below.
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Possessions: +4 defending light mace, +3 ring of protection, boots of striding and springing, greater cloak of displacement, wand of magic missles (9th), numerous potions and scrolls

Commonly Prepared Wizard Spells (4/6/5/5/5/5/3/3/2), Caster Level 16, Base DC 15 + Spell Level.
0th level - arcane mark, daze, flare, light
1st level - animate rope, colorspray, jump, mount, shield, sleep
2nd level - glitterdust, knock, Melf's acid arrow, see invisibility, shatter
3rd level - arcane sight, blink, dispel magic, hold person, lightning bolt
4th level - detect scrying, dimension door, fear, polymorph, rainbow pattern
5th level - blight, fabricate, hold monster, summon monster V, telekinesis
6th level - chain lightning, guards and wards, legend lore
7th level - forecage, greater teleport, Mordenkainen's sword
8th level - greater shout, incendiary cloud

Scion of Vorynn known spells (2) and spells per day (2),Caster level 17th.
0th level - mend, message

fiftyone
04-27-2004, 05:07 AM
anyone? meep

Athos69
04-27-2004, 05:13 AM
I'd tweak his spell list to disclude to ones that would cause damage to the Erebannien -- things like Incendiary cloud should go....

fiftyone
04-27-2004, 05:53 AM
His sources arn't just in the Erebannien.

Raesene Andu
04-27-2004, 06:00 AM
This isn't so important, but I always like to give BR magical items names and a bit of history. Rather than just +3 ring of protection, call it somethink like The Stormwalker's Ring and give it a couple of other minor powers as well... say something to do with his source (can detect when someone is messing with them, or something similar).

A very minor change, but adds more BR flavour to the description.

fiftyone
04-27-2004, 07:32 AM
how bout i make it intelligent..

and a smart ass at that ^_^

fiftyone
04-27-2004, 07:54 AM
I'm also revising the Spider and Chimaera. In the works is mainly just Rhoubhe at the moment. I'll revise the Binman too, but I just did him for fun anyways. Theres also a bunch of lesser npc's involved with rhoubhe that i'm detailing for fun, including the Greenman, Nhoun and Gwyn the elves, Barcus Rhoubheslayer and Spiritrender.

Fun for the whole family!

Maybe I'll detail the Three Brother Mages aswell ^_^

I really think I should lower Danita's intelligence. I pulled a giant conversion for that lol (19 in 2E and 25 in 3E ftw!).

And about her Bloodline, in 3.5 she needs atleast 2 Great abilities (IMO). Would anyone object to me increasing her line from minor to great, but only like great (48) ?

Also, for the Binman. Even though I just did him for fun, maybe Great (32) so he can have Regeneration.

fiftyone
04-28-2004, 03:54 AM
How about the Ring grants him 8 points of Vorynn bloodline and the Mebhaighl Sense blood ability at Major strength.

Azrai
04-29-2004, 09:48 AM
Who ist Mordenkainen ? ;)

fiftyone
04-29-2004, 09:56 AM
who is otiluke?

irdeggman
04-29-2004, 10:57 AM
As has been pointed out by others the format should include the level distribution for the various classes that a character has and not leave it up to interpretation of the hit dice breakdown.

The comment on Mordenkainen is very applicable.

We need to include the names of spells as presented in the SRD and not from the PHB in the 'final' version. In this case it would be Mage's Sword vice Mordenkainen's Sword.

Ian's comments on magic items is also quite good. Look at Chap 8 of the BRCS-playtest for some guidelines on magic items. In the 2nd ed material most magic items listed for NPCs seemed to have names, at least those of the major NPCs did more times than not - even a mundane +1 sword.

fiftyone
04-29-2004, 11:41 AM
none of the high mage's items had names as per the Book of Magecraft

Don E
04-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by fiftyone@Apr 29 2004, 12:41 PM
none of the high mage's items had names as per the Book of Magecraft

That does not mean creating names and backgrounds for them is a bad thing, or even an good thing that is unnecessary. By the same logic one should avoid expanding the writeup of the various domains for the altas project, something that would defeat its purpouse.

kgauck
04-29-2004, 06:50 PM
----- Original Message -----

Sent: Thursday, April 29, 2004 7:21 AM

> That does not mean creating names and backgrounds for them

> is a bad thing, or even an good thing that is unnecessary. By the

> same logic one should avoid expanding the writeup of the various

> domains for the altas project, something that would defeat its purpouse.

I have long argued that too much specificity here is an intrusion on the DM.

For some time one of the favorable comparisons that BR had over FR was that

not ever last thing was detailed prior to the DM getting into the act. That

seems to be lost in the new age of BR.

Kenneth Gauck

kgauck@mchsi.com

Raesene Andu
04-29-2004, 11:37 PM
Personally, I&#39;ve always found that a magical item with a good, well writen history can be more memorable than some NPCs. With my current game, my players definitely prefer named weapons and items over standard items, one player continues to use a sword despite better weapons being available and the fact that the sword is only really effective against skeletons, hardly a major threat to 7th and 8th level characters.

teloft
05-02-2004, 03:15 AM
Originally posted by fiftyone@Apr 27 2004, 08:54 AM
And about her Bloodline, in 3.5 she needs atleast 2 Great abilities (IMO). Would anyone object to me increasing her line from minor to great, but only like great (48) ?

Also, for the Binman. Even though I just did him for fun, maybe Great (32) so he can have Regeneration.
Im not arguing agenst the chance. I only had an idee.

a templet of some sort thet gives you an extra blood ability of some strength.

prerequised:
Is from a family with the ability
OR
Has reacently slain somone with the ability
OR
There is some story behind it.

This teplet alows for some inbalance, witch can sometimes be fun. the Suprice.

But I realy like the idee of great or true bloodlines with low blood strength.