PDA

View Full Version : Hackright

Dark
12-31-2003, 09:51 PM
Not sure if any of you frequent the Kenzer boards, but I noted this the otehr day :

Here's a sampling of the more probable releases:

HM Coloring and Activity book
Road to Aster (original HackMaster adventure)
HackRight (2 volume set)
Crib of the Drow
Dungeon Geomorphs
Robinloft2
A few other modules (Incl. Elminster's Demise)
HackMore
Grod Mondre
Book of Crypts
SpellSlinger's Guide 2

Thought the 3rd one down might be of some interest here...any comments?

BTW - PLEASE don't use this as a forum to flame HM...some people like it, some hate it, but the merits of the system aren't the topic. Thanks :)

CMonkey
01-01-2004, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by Dark@Dec 31 2003, 09:51 PM
BTW - PLEASE don't use this as a forum to flame HM...some people like it, some hate it, but the merits of the system aren't the topic. Thanks :)
Really? What comments are you looking for then?

Ones that discuss the merits of the system would seem to me to be highly relevant.

Your use of "flame" in inappropriate unless you have some personal investment in HackMaster BTW. Hmm...

CM.

Dark
01-01-2004, 04:05 AM
CM - ahh..you've figured me out..I'm actually Dave Kenzer in disguise, desperately trying to get people to buy my stuff *LOL*

Seriously though, I REALLY didn't want this thread to degenerate like so many others when the topic of Hackmaster comes up. As I'm sure you are aware, many still claim "its a joke", or "its not a real system", for various reasons. I would hope the discussion could NOT go that way, but revolve around the good points/bad points of a Birthright setting within the HM system. This does NOT mean that you can't think it wouldn't work, but was hoping to hear constructive comments on why, as opposed to "I think the game is a parody, so everything it does would suck"..etc...I'm sure you get the idea.

CMonkey
01-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Dark@Jan 1 2004, 04:05 AM
CM - ahh..you've figured me out..I'm actually Dave Kenzer in disguise, desperately trying to get people to buy my stuff *LOL*

I knew it!

Anyway, I've never played hackmaster or heard anything about it but its name so I have no preconceptions. Hopefully you can understand my confusion...

CM.

Dark
01-03-2004, 07:33 AM
Ahh..fair enough. HM is (in its most basic form) a fusion of 1st and 2nd ed D&D plus some "extras" as dreamed up by the Kenzer people. It is based on a game supposedly played by the group in Knights of the Dinner table (a very over the top gaming group, if you've never seen it). The portrayal of HM in KotDT is largely what drives the preconcieved notions of HM to a lot of people, theough I would urge everyone to take a look at it. I think most people will like at least parts 9if not the whole). I'm (presonally) looking forward to the relase..I'd be inetersted to see what Kenzer does with the BR setting/mechanics..I doubt everyone will like everything (me included) but its good to see that BR in some form is going to eb produced.

Denakhan
01-20-2004, 04:56 AM
Hiya.

Halibut yeah! :) I love the rules for HM (sans "parody stuff"; funny to read, but not my thing to play). HM is basically a "touch up" of 1e and 2e with a lot of crunchy bits added in.

I've been writing HackRight (my version) since around 2002 when HM first came out. I'm looking forward to seeing how Kenzer does it...at the very least I can adapt parts of their work to mine (or vice versa). :D

^_^

Denakhan the Arch-Mage